Just got my first Shotgun, few questions

kmanmx

Legia is great, cheap too. Give it a quick spray then wipe down with a cloth.

I like to clean the barrels after every use and a small squirt of legia down the bores before storage. Legia is more of a protector than a lube, so for maintenance a drop of proper gun oil in the right place is worth doing, M-Pro7 works but I'd guess that a cheaper oil would work just as well.

Wipe over and clean the barrels with WD40, its as good as any cleaner I've used, run a dry patch through and wipe off the outside, oil the bores and wipe over the exterior with an oil soaked cloth to protect, reassemble and store barrels down.

This happens after every full day in the field or clay shoot. Occasionally if I've only put a few through her in an evening I might leave it two visits if they are going to be close together.

No marking or corrosion to report so far.

Edited by -Mongrel-

I personally wouldn't use wd40 as its water based and will cause rust if left on exposed metal, I would use a gun oil

I won't have WD40 near my guns. Its a water dispersant - and for that its OK, but not as good as warm air. It doesn't lubricate, and is based on a paraffin like solvent with some silicones. Probably does no harm, but its not a gun cleaner.

• 2 weeks later...

I won't have WD40 near my guns. Its a water dispersant - and for that its OK, but not as good as warm air. It doesn't lubricate, and is based on a paraffin like solvent with some silicones. Probably does no harm, but its not a gun cleaner.

I always thought it was lanolin based, whatever it is it does a good job of freeing up rusty tractors but it's not a gun oil.

You should never use wd40 on any gun metal parts barrels, trigger guards etc and as others said stand the gun barrels down so no oil runs into the stock.

Go on then, tell me why not exactly. Evidence please not hearsay.

I've used it for several years now as a cleaner with no ill effects. It's gets wiped back off and the gun is then oiled/greased before storage, so where exactly is the problem?

interesting subject, acording to the font of all knowledge the composition is a secret and unpatented to prevent it from being re-created, it does appear from this info to contain a mineral based oil and be designed as a water dispersant which doesnt fit in with the popular belief that it is water based and causes rust ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WD-40

http://wd40.com/uses-tips/

• Displaces moisture from guns after cleaning
  • Drives moisture and mud from duck guns
  • Prevents rust on guns used in the field
  • Protects gun parts when being stored
  • Removes gunk from surface of guns
  • Anti-rust agent and lubricant for gun magazines
  • Removes camouflage tape from guns
  • Removes powder residue and metal fouling from gun barrels
  • Protects bore and exterior of gun barrel from corrosion
  • Spray on pump action on shotgun to prevent freezing during cold weather
  • Removes lead buildup on guns
  • Lubricates precision gun fittings
  • Lubricates pump-action guns
  • Lubricates potato guns

Seems the manufacturer thinks its ok (I still wouldn't use it myself unless water need displacing i.e. gun ended up submerged or similar)

All you need is a thin oil, 3 in one is perfect and will do the job fine, my dad was shooting guns for years and a dropper can of simple thin oil lubricated and protected his fine, there really is no need for the fancy branded stuff but as they say pay and take your choice, everyone has a different idea on what works, for instance some people fit a bulb in the cabinet to drive out moisture but in my mind damp mixed with warm air from a bulb is a no no but everyone thinks differently.

quote from the wd40 company. the uses of wd40 described on this website were provided to the wd40 company by end users of this product and do not constitute recomemmendations or suggestions for use of wd40 by the wd40 company. The clue is in trhe name WD40 water dispersant for forty days. It is not a lubricant nor cleaner.

The clue is in trhe name WD40 water dispersant for forty days.

Which would be all well and good if that's actually what it stood for! Maybe a bit of research before you post mate, Wikipedias quite good!

'WD-40, abbreviated from the phrase "Water Displacement, 40th formula'

'WD-40 is the trademark name of a lubricant, penetrating oil and water-displacing spray...

...The long-term active ingredient is a non-volatile, viscous oil which remains on the surface, providing lubrication and protection from moisture.'

Edited by -Mongrel-