Must visit venues.

Terry P

Just finished reading a few of the old time wildfowling books and now planning my travels for the coming season, travelled a fair bit last season and really enjoyed it. It has got me thinking of historical and famous wildfowling haunts and where I would love to have a flight or two before my time is up.

What are your must visit marshes, here or abroad that you would like to visit and what has inspired you to want to visit.

I've been to a fair few in the uk but have still to visit Lindisfarne, and a couple of the far northern firths plus the wash,and hope to get to Canada, Argentina and south Africa in the coming years.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have always wanted to viait montrose basin for a flight.

Purely because my earliest memory of seeing thousands of pinks was on the way past years ago!

The wash and lindisfarne are high up on the list also, I hope to visit them the coming season

Just finished reading a few of the old time wildfowling books and now planning my travels for the coming season, travelled a fair bit last season and really enjoyed it. It has got me thinking of historical and famous wildfowling haunts and where I would love to have a flight or two before my time is up.

What are your must visit marshes, here or abroad that you would like to visit and what has inspired you to want to visit.

I've been to a fair few in the uk but have still to visit Lindisfarne, and a couple of the far northern firths plus the wash,and hope to get to Canada, Argentina and south Africa in the coming years.

I had a couple of trips to South Africa shooting various game & wildfowl Terry & loved it have shot spur wing gees , ducks , sandgrouse , rock pigeon & doves , guinea fowl , various ground game & spring buck & lamping jackal . Cant wait to go again the nearest way to describe sandgrouse shooting is like golden plover shooting its a fantastic land go there if you get a chance . oh yes nearly forgot to say no mud ! no cold wind & rain & no blue fingers & shriveled up cold willy :lol: .

Go if you can it makes a great change shooting in nice sunny weather .

ATB . ps I had 125 pigeon in a maize field & sun burn ! , had a young black lad picking up for me & he worked bloody hard & I paid him well & I just hope his dad did not rob him when he got home :sad1: .

pps fishing was good in between shooting , fly fished for a yellow fish on the orange river & two mates caught some nice big catfish , also spun for fish in the farm dams & ponds . Dont do what my mate from Norfolk done & roll up your trouser legs & paddle while fishing because when he came out he was covered in bloody leeches ! & did we slag him for it . :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Edited by Pole Star

Thanks for the invite Ayano but you seem to have some crazy hanger on's :lol: . I will take you up on that offer.

Polestar, I've read a bit about South Africa and it does sound truly awesome. I really have come down with the travelling bug, when you look into it there are so many places to wildfowl in just the uk alone.

The excitement as the morning breaks on a new marsh is on a whole new level, but the best thing is the likeminded people I've met over the last couple of seasons, wildfowling seems to be a great leveller, I've met some wonderful people from all walks of life but one thing in common, and that a genuine love of wildfowling.

I cannot wait for the season and my new adventures to begin. Right wheres that map :good:

Australia can be a good place too Terry but the laws are a bit odd ? I had a mate up here last summer from King Island & he told me there have been problems with Cape Barren geese hammering farm land & problems with ducks in the rice fields in Victoria & N.S.W but I have been away from Australia for more than 20years now so I am a bit out of touch with shooting there .

Our Australian duck shooting mates get a lot of flak from the antis out there & some of the state governments will do anything for the townie vote , if you ever head out that way best if you get a contact out there .

ATB Pole Star

Sat down by the river today watching the ducks flit about i got thinkin about this again.

Montrose, lindisfarne and the wash are top of the list

Solway (as above), been before but will get there again

Around the corner, wigtown bay

Cromarty

Lossiemouth

And so many more..

I love wildfowling and i have come to the conclusion, EVERY estuary/marsh is worth a visit, I think i will be doing an awful lot of traveling the coming season!

Hi I was a local at Montrose & can't rate it enough for pink foot goose shooting. Getting on might be a problem as the visitors seem to be the same faces for the same weeks etc. but even late in the season January/February you should be able to still shoot a pink of it it's quite easy fowling. End of September/October is mental with 60thou geese about & geese are very easy to bag. Due to work I'm out of fowling just now but used to be on Montrose basin 2/3 nights a week when tide right.

As I'm a fenland man, I would say the wash around south lincs, cambs and west norfolk is the Mecca of wildfowling along the coast and if inland marsh I would say Whittlesey or Welney.

Just a shame they didn't leave a bit of the fens flooded when they drained it.

I managed to get a permit for the Montrose last season and your right in that to see 40 odd thousand geese is a must see experience in its own right, but as for easy to bag a goose, well I was there for the middle of October and those geese were well aware of what was going on by then, they had been hammered already. I was fortunate to get talking to a local fowler and after a bit of quidence bagged a couple of pinks. I know the rules are there for a reason but being told when to get on and off, must meet in car park etc kind of take away what wildfowling is all about for me. What really bothered me though was the fowlers that turn up late, wonder around then sit about 200m right in front of you.

So the best memories I have of there are a little tainted by thoughtless fellow fowlers but still a truly awesome experience.

Every wildfowler has to go to the Solway at least once.

Been there Scolopax & I was a bit saddened too see the usual empty heads wondering why their semi auto pogo sticks could only fire 3 shots & not 8 at geese way out of range !. Heard the same thing goes on in Montrose Basin , sad ! , maybe a trip too spec savers might help em ? . :sad1:

I managed to get a permit for the Montrose last season and your right in that to see 40 odd thousand geese is a must see experience in its own right, but as for easy to bag a goose, well I was there for the middle of October and those geese were well aware of what was going on by then, they had been hammered already. I was fortunate to get talking to a local fowler and after a bit of quidence bagged a couple of pinks. I know the rules are there for a reason but being told when to get on and off, must meet in car park etc kind of take away what wildfowling is all about for me. What really bothered me though was the fowlers that turn up late, wonder around then sit about 200m right in front of you.

So the best memories I have of there are a little tainted by thoughtless fellow fowlers but still a truly awesome experience.

Have you been to my neck of the woods yet Terry ? not much true fowling as such but some very good goosing , but alas things starting to change & a few bad types starting to visit .

Not been to Orkney pal, but hoping to get up there next year in September more of a family holiday as Claire has always wanted to visit(she's a bit of a history buff), so it would be mad not to bring the gun, but it does sadden me to see the huge piles of greylags splashed all over facebook that have been taken decoying.

As for the cowboys well there everywhere and judging by the old books I've been reading always have been, to be fair I've never had a problem on most of the places I have visited buy then I try and visit mid week if I can.

Anyone ever been fowling in Ireland.

Not been to Orkney pal, but hoping to get up there next year in September more of a family holiday as Claire has always wanted to visit(she's a bit of a history buff), so it would be mad not to bring the gun, but it does sadden me to see the huge piles of greylags splashed all over facebook that have been taken decoying.

As for the cowboys well there everywhere and judging by the old books I've been reading always have been, to be fair I've never had a problem on most of the places I have visited buy then I try and visit mid week if I can.

Anyone ever been fowling in Ireland.

Great when you get up Terry give me a call & will sort a go for you , dont know if your a fisherman but September can be a good time on the trout & see fishing is good too . As for the history bit well your wife will love the place so that will keep her out of your hair while you are having a shot .

ATB Pole Star

ps I lived in Co Wexford for 10 or 12 years before moving to Orkney lots of wildfowl on the Slops but its mostly under the control now by the Office of Public Works & shooting there is pretty much over , you might have better luck in the North .

It don't look like I will be getting a holiday in the sun this year so the solway for a flight or two is a real possibility. One marsh I always wanted to shoot was Norwich and when I got the chance last year I went. It was better than I had even envisaged.

Not sure why you want to shoot the wash. Its the pits. You sit in 2ft deep mud, unable to move your feet. You fall backwards and forwards to keep free and have mud everywhere. You wait and wait until all the tea you have consumed has you dancing on the spot and busting at the seams. The minute you finally liberate the thing that's shrunk because of the minus ten degrees the birds you have been waiting for whistle by you ....you swear to yourself never to drink again and start the wait again...wow geese...you get deeper in the creek and your feel a cold trickle down to you socks...yes the water has got in....as for the geese, they went over someone on the sea wall even though you did all the calling. You wait for the mallard until 10am and they come over you 200 yards up. You get home and she asks why you haven't got anything again.....you sure you want to shoot she wash...I'm having 'if only ' inscribed on my headstone.