.243 suddenly not grouping

rtaylor

I checked zero on my .243 this evening and was shocked to find it isn't shooting on anymore. I checked zero a couple of weeks ago and it was less than 3/4" at 75 yards (my usual deer range).

But tonight it was shooting about 6" low on the first shot and a couple inches right. Then the next two shots were even lower, fairly vertically in line but about 1-2" below each other. I put a few more through and they were doing the same thing.

The only thing I can think of is ether my scope has been knocked in travelling, but wouldn't this just change zero but keep the grouping. Or more worryingly the screw cut has some how been knocked. When I screw the mod on it does't seem to be screwing in straight and the nylon bush at the bottom is very gently touching the barrel (I have now drilled this out so it isn't touching anymore). I can't recall it getting knocked at all and it would have had to be something fairly bad to knock the mod out of alignment.

I have changed my bullets to PPI but when I checked zero the other week it seemed to be shooting nicely with them.

I am going to try my mod on my mates rifle to see if I can rule that out, and maybe try his mod on my gun.

Sorry it's a bit long winded but any thoughts?

It was shooting something like the above but about 5 or 6" between the top shot and the bottom.

Edited by rtaylor

I assume that you have checked all of the mounting screws for tightness and that you have checked that there is no clipping on the moderator! If so I would start with giving it a good scouring and start from fresh with an ammunition that you know your barrel shoots tight groups with. If no joy after this, and looking at the pattern of the shots that you have described I would be thinking about the problem being in the scope. Out of interest what scope is it?

Edited by Frenchieboy

It's a Simmons white tail. I will double check all the mounting screws but can't think where they would have come loose. I'll check the mod for clipping. I bedded the action in and free floated the barrel, I've put maybe 20-30 good grouping rounds through since then.

I'll strip it down and have a look this afternoon.

Trouble when things like this start happening many worry the barrels worn out but in most cases its not. As said above, clean your barrel with a good copper solvent, etc, ,plenty of instruction on the net. Give it a real good clean, check the barrel isnt touching stock if its designed not to touch. I have had similar problems in the past, my rifle didnt like ppu ammo and I was never confident it was consistant. I have a WTC on my .22lr and had a similar problem earlier in the year, all my centrefire scopes have adjustable focus (whatever its called) that don't have a locking ring, the WTC does so when I adjusted the focus on the end, the eye box ( changing eye sight with age) was wobbling about as I hadnt relocked it up. It made a hell of a differance at 60yds with a rifle that is lazer accurate normally. If things are still not consistant then use another scope, checking all the mounts and rings in doing so. If still no joy then have a gunsmith have a look at the thread/crown. As for mod rubbing on the barrel, most barrels are not perfectly round and if the rear bush is a bit tight it will touch somewhere. Both my 243 and 308 have marks from the mod but these are my fault, the unf thread is quite loose until the mod is tight, if you don't hold it square while tightening it will touch.