20 bore for my son

Norfolk Ern

Started my 10 yr old son off with a shooting lesson last weekend to see what he shoots best before choosing a gun.

He shot a 20 bore well, so I'm looking out for a suitable gun.

He'll need a shorter stock obviously.

I'm keen on getting him an o/u due to their popularity.

Tried out a Lincoln with 29" barrels, but found that to be a bit too front end heavy for him.

I'm not keen on spending out on an expensive gun and taking a saw to the stock. (Yes we have tried a Beretta Silver Pigeon and came very close as it is just mouth wateringly perfect apart from stock length)

At the other end of the scale, I've seen a Hatsan 20 bore semi with junior stock. It's not my first choice, but seems to fit & handle OK. Has anyone any experience of these in 20 bore?

Looked at a Huglu o/u, but that weighed more than a Howitzer!

Any other guns we should try?

I use a hatsan fieldhunter junior pump in 20g there lightweight easy to handle and come with the trio pad so are easy to adjust. It fits me fine with all the spacers in but would suit a young lad/lass with them all out.

There also safer than a semi as if you don't pump it then it can't go bang! I quite often forget and have a split second of confusion shortly followed by realisation then embarrassment that I've done it again!

There cracking little guns, cheap, reliable and not as cartridge fussy as the semi's.

Have just bought a Yildiz 28g for my 9 yo, for his tenth birthday in a week. 26" barrels and 12 1/4 stock so it should fit him rather than him manage with it, it's on it's way RFD to RFD, will let you know how it goes.