South lincs wildfowlers Duck release program 2013

washwildfowler

tonight some of south lincs wildfowlers committee members got to gether with some of the local farmers and released the first 100 mallard around our marshes on un shot waters this has been going on for well over 40 years ... all ducks are rung with BASC rings ...

duckrelease011.jpg

duckrelease010.jpg

duckrelease013.jpg

duckrelease019.jpg

duckrelease021.jpg

duckrelease023.jpg

+ 1 would be really interesting :good:

yes we do keep records , we ask our members to report the ring numbers to us if any are shot .... we release the birds in different locations around our area ... at each release point those numbers are logged for that area .... so we know how far birds have travelled ...

South Lincolnshire Wildfowlers club not only encourages shooting, it actively promotes Conservation:- Duck ringing and release programmes have been implemented and members to date have released over 28,000 wildfowl. The vast majority being Mallard .....

i have just been onto our duck ringing officer it was originally 25.000 released but after the latest count it's climbed over 28.000 ....

the longest distance reported was in the 1977/78 season and was in Poland .....

Edited by washwildfowler

yes we do keep records , we ask our members to report the ring numbers to us if any are shot .... we release the birds in different locations around our area ... at each release point those numbers are logged for that area .... so we know how far birds have travelled ...

South Lincolnshire Wildfowlers club not only encourages shooting, it actively promotes Conservation:- Duck ringing and release programmes have been implemented and members to date have released over 28,000 wildfowl. The vast majority being Mallard .....

i have just been onto our duck ringing officer it was originally 25.000 released but after the latest count it's climbed over 28.000 ....

the longest distance reported was in the 1977/78 season and was in Poland .....

Thanks for that up date Washfowler & great work on your clubs part :good:

Washwildfowler, thanks for that and what great work your club is doing, after shooting my first ringed duck last season I have found the whole concept of ringing really interesting and am amazed at the age of some of the birds that have been ringed.

Brilliant work South Lncs WA. Its a pity more clubs do not do rear and release mallard , more so in a year like this when mallard have had a very poor breeding season in much of East Anglia.

Are you talking about on the shore or inland? On many lakes and ponds i have seen hens walking around with over 10 young apiece.

I'm pretty sure Fenland wildfowlers release some birds every season. I've shot four ringed mallard they've released over the last 2 seasons.

I suspect anser2 is referring to early broods.

Are you talking about on the shore or inland? On many lakes and ponds i have seen hens walking around with over 10 young apiece.

I'm pretty sure Fenland wildfowlers release some birds every season. I've shot four ringed mallard they've released over the last 2 seasons.

Motty there have been a recent increase in the numnber of broods , but these ducklings are very young and they will not be flying befor October. I have spent 2 weeks on the Broads and young ducklings were very few and far between . Likewise up until June I saw no surviving mallard ducklings older than a week except for those on village ponds where they have beeen fed . This year is the worst breeding season for mallard I have ever seen.