world war two militaria

mike-b

anybody else on here collect any 2nd world war bits and bobs??? i live right in the middle of east anglia which was full of yank air bases so its littered with historical intrest and with my grand farther serving in the Suffolk rgt im fasinated by it all!! and if there is anybody on here thata does collect or even sell bits im dying to get hold of some 55cal 'boys rifle' shells it was the gun issued to my grand farther when he served during the fall of singapore so im trying to get a few bits together in my collection ive got a few bits technical manual, 2 shells transport clip for the shells but im after anything boys rifle related ideally 3 more shells to fill the transport clip! there nearly indentical to .50cal shells so may be mistaken for them! heres a pic of what the look like:

boys rifle on top .50 cal below

DSCN0421_zpsf51d905c.jpg

and 2 boys rifle shells

DSCN0420_zps9eed72f1.jpg

and an amusing training video made in the late 30's for it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixls0-iaqeA

mike-b, over the years I have collected WW 11 items and up to the present day Iraq and Balkans....never had any shells or ammo though. Seen many items from the airfields though, as you rightly say .50 shells from the B-17's etc. Good luck with your hunt for the Boyes shell cases. :good::good:

when i was a little fella and lived in suffolk...there was a field at the back of the house where during the war a flying fortress crashed ..the usaf took most of it away but there is still loads left mostly 50cal shells which are picked off the surface every year, the farm workers used to gather them up and make petrol lighters out of them...i used to pick them up and put them in the vice and pull the heads off and make piles of powder to burn.........i must have lived a charmed life then, i used to drive the caps out using a 6" nail and a hammer....boy they used to go off made my ears ring........

I had loads of ww2 stuff in the seventys,when i got into shooting i sold it all off,if i had it today would be worth a fortune,i have a 35 pattern german helmet which i brought back from the arden about seven years ago,it was rusty so i bead blasted it and restored it as it was,it just sits on top of the wardrobe now collecting dust it doesnt have the same interest any more.

I had loads of ww2 stuff in the seventys,when i got into shooting i sold it all off,if i had it today would be worth a fortune,i have a 35 pattern german helmet which i brought back from the arden about seven years ago,it was rusty so i bead blasted it and restored it as it was,it just sits on top of the wardrobe now collecting dust it doesnt have the same interest any more.

Strong possibility your helmet could, and I say could be SS. Kampfgruppe Pieper operated around and through the Ardennes...possibly never know for sure. I had an SS belt and buckle from there.

Strong possibility your helmet could, and I say could be SS. Kampfgruppe Pieper operated around and through the Ardennes...possibly never know for sure. I had an SS belt and buckle from there.

When i got home i gave it a clean with some wd40,it still had some of the apple green paint showing and the national shield and the eagle and swastika,so it looks like it was just a normal army unit,the liner was well rusted so that was no use,i had some pictures done before i restored it but cant seem to find them,when i was a kid i swopped a spud gun for a ss dagger,then went on to swop it for a old bsa air rifle,i found a kriegsmarine 40 pattern helmet in a garden shed about fifteen years ago,i was doing some work on a old ladys house,i asked her about the helmet and she told me her husband had took it off a captured german ship that was berthed at liverpool docks,she told me to take it,she allso gave me two navel shells as well.

well if you dont want it theres always room in my collection for more bits :lol: and lucky ****** getting given some navel shells to! quite after some more 20mm cannon shells to if anybody knows of any?? im praying for the day i come across a old pill box coverd in brambles with a lee enfield proped up in the corner a box of mills bombs and general dads army stuf!!!! keep dreaming mike! :lol: :lol:

I used to have quite a collection a few years back of WW2 German gear

Still have a party banner 10' x 4' that was one of four hanging on the front of the library in Munich removed by a Captain in the US army

A few helmets

post-24784-0-00321300-1374443469_thumb.jpg

Edited by castletyne

I've been selling off my collection for the past year. I started collecting ww2 german stuff when i was a kid. It seemed like a logical progression from action man! The collection stagnated for a few years but then i started investing heavilly when the prices were rising. As a kid a decent double decal lid in original condition could be picked up for less than 50 sheets, now its 10 times that and theres the increased risk of picking up a moody one. The standard of the fakery is very high now. I used to go for very unspectacular but clearly original pieces as the top end items were just too risky. A fellow collector/ dealer got stiffed on a snide para lid to the tune of £1800 a few years back. I'd have thought he'd have known better but it only goes to show.

Im sure there are still some attic finds to be made. I spoke to a dealer at a show a few years back and he used to follow the rag and bone man round east london as a nipper on the cadge for german stuff. The wives of ex servicemen used to sling out their bring backs and thats how he started. He had some great items.

Still have a party banner 10' x 4' that was one of four hanging on the front of the library in Munich removed by a Captain in the US army

A few helmets

What sort of outfit would have used the m42 front left with the frontal decal? Nice lids by the way ct

What sort of outfit would have used the m42 front left with the frontal decal? Nice lids by the way ct

That one is a no decal M42 helmet the swastika on the front was hand painted on

It had gone yellow with age so could have been done by the vet who brought it back or possibly some biker back in the 50/60s

Had a very good collection of militaria in the past;mostly WW1,which is where my main interest lays.Still have a few bayonets.

Amongst other things I think I have a German WW2 helmet in the shed if anyone is interested,and my last remaining revolver is going to be put on 'Gunwatch' when I can figure out how to get round the shotgun/rifle default settings. :blush:

A few helmets

Nice collection,it reminds me of the stuff i had many years ago,i was in crete about ten years ago on holiday,cant quite remember were at the time i saw a german para helmet in a second hand shop,so goes in and asked the guy if i could have look at it,to say it was mint was a understatement,it dated 1942 with both decals and the rough sand finish,he had 1500 euros on it,the story he told me was it had been brought in by the family of old boy that poped his clogs and they found it in his wardrobe with a few other bits,i am no expert on para helmets i know there are more fakes out there then the real thing,so at the time it was around 1000 quid i reluctantly walked out,i have often thought what happend to it,know dought some one bought it.

Had a very good collection of militaria in the past;mostly WW1,which is where my main interest lays.Still have a few bayonets.

Amongst other things I think I have a German WW2 helmet in the shed if anyone is interested,and my last remaining revolver is going to be put on 'Gunwatch' when I can figure out how to get round the shotgun/rifle default settings. :blush:

Any chance of a pic please Scully ?