Stalking scope upgrade?

adam f

I'm currently using a 6-24x56 Nikko Stirling Nighteater on my centrefire.

It's ok. But just ok.

I swapped it off my hmr when I got the rifle and its been ok, I like the big magnification, but it needs good light to function. In low light it struggles and I find myself winding the mag right back.

I now find myself stalking with the gun more and more and I'm finding the limitations of the scope.

So what to upgrade to? Budget is up to £500, less would be better. I'm quite keen on having adjustable mag again if possible.

Suggestions?

not quite the magnification required though, Its a very hard budget for the requirement as you do need good glass to be able to use much magnification at last light. I blew the budget a bit with my Z6i but there are some of the variables in the 6-24x50 range from swaro and the likes that come up at not much more than the budget second hand. I'd keep an eye on the stalking directory as you do get some better scopes on there from time to time. £600 and you are definitely getting into that sort of territory.

Id look no further than a 2.5-15, the scopes i use are 4-12x50 and a 2.5-15x 56 both swarovski and my settings are always on 8 or lower i hardly ever adjust the zoom. My advice is get a scope in this mag range and get use to lower mag levels obviously if your not long range target shooting!

I do a large amount of stalking and foxing shooting 7mm08 and .243!

Unless you wish to spend a fortune it is well worth sacrificing a little magnification for bright clear glass.

You don't really need ultra high magnification in a stalking scope but what you do need is good glass. A maximum of 12x is perfectly adequate if the glass is first class as it's the light gathering capabilities you're after.

My vote for your budget............Duralit 3 -12 x 50

Thanks chaps, plenty to consider and look at.

I know lots of you swear by the s&b 8x56 but I'm nervous about not being able to wind up the mag for longer shots. Will I be wowed enough by the ultra clear glass? Should I simply practise more at x8?

Thanks chaps, plenty to consider and look at.

I know lots of you swear by the s&b 8x56 but I'm nervous about not being able to wind up the mag for longer shots. Will I be wowed enough by the ultra clear glass? Should I simply practise more at x8?

yup been there and had one fine for stalking really if you are mostly high seats and don't shoot anything over 150 yards or so but I like more magnification for longer shots and definitely for foxing. I've a mate with one at the moment and if we are sitting out together I have to leave foxes a seriously long time for him to get to where he is happy with them. Especially in daylight or under the lamp I find I take a fair few at 18x plus especially when they are 200 yards, though you do get the odd one where you forget the magnification and shoot them walking as you think they are getting far too close. Then pace it out and you work out you had left the scope wound up :whistling:

as other poster said look at sightron these are very impressive and will come in your budget if you buy from the states and they come with a lifetime warranty and not many do that now. glass is clear and for the price you are looking at you will get target turrets if you need them and 6-24-50 also if needed if you need a link to a seller in the us give me a pm i have had two off him now and comes in two weeks ,atb wayne

If you buy a sightron from the USA your warranty will mean ABSOLUTELY nothing in this country. I brought my sightron from aimfield sports in the UK, it's not worth the agro of buying outside of the UK. John at aimfield keeps a record of all scope numbers so knows what he has sold and what is a grey import, imports get no warranty.

Paul

If you buy a sightron from the USA your warranty will mean ABSOLUTELY nothing in this country. I brought my sightron from aimfield sports in the UK, it's not worth the agro of buying outside of the UK. John at aimfield keeps a record of all scope numbers so knows what he has sold and what is a grey import, imports get no warranty.

Paul

rubbish thats the guff that a shop will tell you to get a sale this is worldwide i spent a long time before buying and i got the right answers back so i baught one then a month later another as they are that good. one on a 300 winmag and the other a 270 if you want to pay 2-£300 more then its up to you but they go back to sightron. you can also have custom turrets done now as well ,atb wayne

Is the Bushnell elite 3200 still for sale in the sales section? I've got one on my 7-08 and compared to the Nighteater my mate had on his rifle it's as clear as day. Not as good as my 8x56 S&B, but not far behind it.

If it wasn't good enough for stalking at first and last light I can assure you it wouldn't be on the gun! They zoom from 5x to 15x - I don't see the need for higher?