Another afternoon on standing wheat

sitsinhedges

After having a few blinding shots yesterday with my new 20gauge Franchi Alcione whilst trying to get some pigeons for the flappers I decided to take it decoying today on the same wheat field I shot with my Husher last week.

Because the wind had changed 180 degrees I had to move further into the field so I had the wind on my back and a safe shooting area in front. The wheat in this area seemed much thicker and the shot birds were much harder to find.

No matter, I shot really well right thru with no annoying pauses when you can't seem to hit a thing.

Finding the birds hard to locate I was going to pack up early but the sport was so good I couldn't help myself and threw in the towel at 60 birds down for 89 cartridges, 28gram homeloads.

I managed to find 33 birds and then another 4 after I'd taken the photo.

It is annoying to lose so many birds but the crops need protecting lest the farmer loses faith in me, and the sport was top drawer.

Killed me walking 300metres all the way back to the van with all that kit though.

Didn't use any decoys, just the pair of AA turboflappers and a home made magnet with hypaflaps on it to pull the birds in to range.

003_zps5bf5c91a.jpg

Good effort. Did you have a dog?

Unfortunately not. I wouldn't mind getting one but think they can create as many problems as they solve.

I hate not being able to account for every bird but sometimes you've got to do the right thing to keep the farmer on side.

I've had over 120 birds off this field now and the farmer is aware of my efforts.