Any none hunters (or anti hunters) on here?

How wrong can you be?

Why not do a straw poll of the keen decoyers on here and ask them if they go hunting or shooting and agree to accept the findings?

Maybe you should write to the OED. :lol:

and you'd be amazed how much poorer those animals existence is to the wild animals we put on the table.

Pheasant shooting is a great sport and if you eat any form of chicken that will have had a poorer life in my eyes

Hmm, not from what I've read, although welfare varies all over the country.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the difference read not done! I've done a lot of it an been involved in it for 20 plus years and cruelty isn't the name of the game. The fact you have dedicated people picking up and despatching wounded birds puts it one step up from most forms of shooting.

What is the quote, 'if it pays' it stays'.

I shoot because I like shooting, you can argue whatever you like but no one does it purely to put food on the table it is because they like doing it.

Big game hunting people over here just don't get but just look at what happens when you don't control elephant numbers they trash the parks remove the vegetation and in a natural state that would turn to desert they would all die and then regrowth would start again. Same with the predators over there they eat people, and their livelihoods as they are subsistence farmers. The alternative if the animals aren't worth anything or managed is that they deal with them by snares poison or AK47's Shooting and conservation go very much in hand as you have to have something to shoot.

Maybe you should write to the OED. :lol:

Hmm, not from what I've read, although welfare varies all over the country.

Our birds are required to be full-bodied, full-feathered and healthy so that they can fly to good heights. It is in our best interest to rear our birds as free-range and healthy as possible.

Many battery hens, and many that are classed as 'free-range', sit cramped in one position, devoid of natural light with most of their feathers pecked out whilst being fed on a diet designed to make them gain weight at an unnatural rate and full of antibiotics.

They are not required to do anything other than put on weight at a prescribed rate.

Millions are killed, marketed unsold and then dumped, turned into fertiliser or into animal feed to raise other animals that will end up as surplus.

Having said that, I do understand why many only target shoot and, for them, that is right.

I agree that Pheasant shooting may not have the best image but given a choice of eating a Pheasant from our shoot or a supermarket Chicken, I'll take the Pheasant every time

Please Gentlemen, 'hunting' is the term Americans use for shooting. Hunting is what we do in the UK with hounds. 'Shooting' is the generic term which should be used at all times for the pursuit of quarry with a gun. The only exception being 'stalking'.

Can we not get these mixed up please?

How right you are. Nothing annoys me more than the dumbing down of our rich and wonderful language.

Tell anyone in our village that you are going hunting and quite rightly they will presume you are going out to follow hounds. I don't know anyone who refers to shooting as hunting, they are two completely different pastimes.

I suppose it comes from people who are not from a rural background taking up shooting and reading too many American magazines.

Back to the original topic - I am very surprised that non-shooting anti's are not on the forum all the time arguing and making a nuisance of themselves. I would have thought that PW would be a huge target for the anti's with all sorts of problems occurring from malicious threads to hacks of the forum. Does this ever happen?

Well if your a meat eater and not prepared to take an animals life yourself i dont think you should eat meat!

Soley paying for meat is paying someone else to do your "dirty work" in my eyes. If more people had to kill for there meat then am sure the animal welfare standards would be bought up across the board and maybe folk would be more interested in paying more money to ensure higher standards. Too many people eat the cheapest meat of the poorest quallity and with an unknown history.

Or at least this is my opinion.

ATB

Matt

Well if your a meat eater and not prepared to take an animals life yourself i dont think you should eat meat!

Soley paying for meat is paying someone else to do your "dirty work" in my eyes. If more people had to kill for there meat then am sure the animal welfare standards would be bought up across the board and maybe folk would be more interested in paying more money to ensure higher standards. Too many people eat the cheapest meat of the poorest quallity and with an unknown history.

ATB

Matt

Who said I wasn't willing to kill to eat?

ATB

Matt

I'm with you on that Matt - maybe minimum welfare requirements should be raised a lot higher, people would have to then eat better quality meat and if necessary less of it and it would not be seen as a cheap staple and respected a bit more. £2 for a supermarket chicken is a joke - of course you cannot raise the bird in acceptable conditions and still make money if the supermarket sells them for such a small amount.

Meat welfare is a joke, the EU applies regulations to increase welfare and we comply, then the supermarkets buy cheap meat from countries that don't comply. Its a joke really the best advice with meat is buy British to ensure higher welfare.

you did at the beginning by stating you won't kill animals

No I didn't.

I'm just curious. I don't shoot animals nor do I have any intention to. I'm purely into clay pigeon. I wouldn't even go fishing. However, I would never openly or actively go against those that shoot or fish nor do I think they are bad people or doing bad things (except for trophy hunting of large mammals (big game etc) like elephants, lions, bears etc).

Am I a lone voice on here or are there others who share my thoughts?

See. :good:

Animal Mother - you are being pedantic. I don't think al4x was making on assumption. Your post seemed clear, until you started splitting hairs, which doesn't help the discussion either.

I don't shoot live game, but I agree with those who have set out their reasons for doing so.

I have little time for people who won't kill it themselves, but are happy to buy cheap meat, where the creature has had a wretched life. Vegetarians who won't eat any meat, but love a nice pair of leather shoes. Hypocrites.

I honestly believe that people in this area of sport care far more about wildlife than antis.

Please expand on that comment.

Also, I'm a he. :lol:

Your second comment says it all.

Before you annoy anyone else on this forum could you please elucidate on your experiences in the shooting field so that we have a better idea where you are coming from with some of your more obtuse comments.

I think people are either misinterpreting what I'm stating or reading what they want into my statements, or perhaps I could be clearer with what I'm saying?

I don't have blinkers on. I don't believe the first thing I read nor am I susceptible to propaganda (it's easy to spot that). I tend to read peer reviewed journals or articles from independent bodies, such as charitable trusts or associations.