Semi Auto for "Tall Person"

solz

hello, firstly i am writing this on behave of my friend,

My friend is looking to buy a semi auto but is having so trouble finding one, A few things you should know,

1. He shoots of the left shoulder
  2. Is 6ft 3" tall "lanky"

so the two main problems are finding a gun with around 15" LOP and a left hander, he has shot my L/H benelli m2 but doesnt get on with it to well, could be down to short LOP and hes doesnt like the recoil of the gun, hes a fairy tall skinny chap lol,

he has said that he is not worried about shooting a right handed gun.

so can anyone recommend on semi auto with a long LOP or comes with spacers to length it? also if anyone shoots a right handed gun from the left shoulder would be good to hear you views.

Idealy would like to know of any guns with a longer LOP and gas operated, he has a budget of around £800

Thanks in advance

solz

I would recommend Beretta, either an Outlander A300 which you can pick up new for not far off £800 or a second hand Uirika 2. Either way I would go for the 30" barrel to give a bit of extra weight.

Pre fit recoil pads then can be added to give the best length of pull.

Downside, they do take a it of cleaning.

Very comfortable guns to shoot.

Thank you for the replies so far, what the adjustment like on the sx3? and what anyone views on shooting a r/h from the left shoulder?

@zx10mike you were no help at all, can you just not reply in the future if your not going to be of any help?

Thank you for the replies so far, what the adjustment like on the sx3? and what anyone views on shooting a r/h from the left shoulder?

@zx10mike you were no help at all, can you just not reply in the future if your not going to be of any help?

christ pal just trying to have a laugh whilst rating the benelli what is your problem?no larking around on pigeon watch from now on please were very serious.

i have lived in up hathererly churchdown and barnwood and thought blokes from gloucester had a sense of humor my bad.

Edited by zx10mike

christ pal just trying to have a laugh whilst rating the benelli what is your problem?no larking around on pigeon watch from now on please were very serious.

i have lived in up hathererly churchdown and barnwood and thought blokes from gloucester had a sense of humor my bad.

Sorry mate, caught me at a wrong time, just been chasing cattle round a field for 2 hours so was not in a "humours" mood,

I can see you were having a laugh, and I can only say sorry for not laughing with you :) no hard feelings :)

And I agree I do rate the Benelli very much, and I also agree with you as my mate is a bit of a wet **** sometime :)

All the best :)

I'm 6' 4" and shoot a Urika 1 with the biggest standard butt pad. That puts it out to 14 & 1/2" (I think).

My other guns are all at 15" so yes, I find the Urika a bit short if I'm shooting in a T shirt, but fine if I'm muffled up in a cold field. I keep meaning to lengthen it, but I've had it for a couple of years now and still not got round to it - it obviously doesn't bother me that much!

The Urika soaks up recoil better than the Benellis I've shot, but to be honest, the more you shoot the less you notice it - especially if the gun fit is right. My SxS kicks like a mule when I watch others shoot it, but I never feel TBH.

The SX3 is another good gun, but I'm not sure it will cycle the light carts as well as the Beretta. I think the longer chamber might have something to do with it.

I'd avoid a 30" semi unless you really prefer that length for clays. Remember the semi is roughly 2" longer in the action so a 28" semi is the length as a 30" O/U. I shoot a 28" semi and all my other guns are 30". I was going to get a 30" but really glad I didn't now.

Hope this gives you some points to pass on.

Sorry mate, caught me at a wrong time, just been chasing cattle round a field for 2 hours so was not in a "humours" mood,

I can see you were having a laugh, and I can only say sorry for not laughing with you :) no hard feelings :)

And I agree I do rate the Benelli very much, and I also agree with you as my mate is a bit of a wet **** sometime :)

All the best :)

sorry too bud my comment was funny as hell after beer :whistling: i have just been converted too the benelli and can't understand why someone would not love them,that said my knowledge on shottys is very limited so i can't offer any recomendations.good luck with the naughty cows :good:

oh and i'm a hobbit

Edited by zx10mike

get a slating for this but the Hatsans have spacers you can add to get the lop right,you can file the spacer between the action and the stock to increase the comb height,i don't have a Hatsan but my mate has one and it has never let him down,worth a look as cheap to get into and people will always buy them.

Im 6'3" and shoot a SX3 very low recoil and shoots 24gram carts no probs.

Im not slight of build so dont need 15" lop but have mine with all spacers in about 14 3/4" you can buy more spacers.Should get a new SX3 for his budget,any of the big makes are good,plenty of folk shoot right hand semis off left shoulder. Better if he can get a lefty.

Best try as many as possible as all are a bit different in balance and feel. The new A400 Extreme shoulders and feels very nice.

Wouldnt get hung up on lop though as all sorts of pads and stuff to get it to fit.

figgy

im 6ft 2in tall and shoot a right hand semi from left shoulder.never had a problem shooting r/h semis.the gun ive been shooting with for last couple of years is a browning maxus.can be adjusted for length of pull and cast.also hardley any recoil.best auto ive owned so far.and ive owned a lot.