Wildfowling Season 2013-2014

Wildfowler325

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that is 2 things that just don't seem to go together in my shooting, the best flight of last season was when i took a lad out on a taster flight and ended up lending him my semi auto as he had borrowed a grade 4/5 browning for the day from a mate. I just couldn't let him ruin it and let him have mine as the previous flights had been poor so wasn't expecting much, how wrong i was!!

Straight from the off Teal were buzzing into the decoys in 3's and 4's then the Mallard came in with 3 pairs dropping into the decoys followed by 2 big groups of wigeon flighting past, if i remember correctly he fired 9 shots and should have fired more but didn't see the birds in time - End result no birds and a bemused me :lol: , but at least he enjoyed it!

Nice to see new people coming in to the sport :good:

Going to miss the 1st this season due to family commitments which I cant get out of never mind. will be out soon to see the sun rise out on the shore and take in all the sounds and smells the salting's have to offer how lucky we are.

the last few seasons I have given the shore a miss on the 1st due to the number of people out there and chosen to go on a Moring flight on our marsh instead. I'm not really into crowds that much, but they soon die off once they have had there trip for the season.

The 1st of September is just around the cornor with only a week to go! Any one else like me that can't wait? Whats everybodys plans for the 1st? Please let us all know what your up to on the first and upload the photos that you take :good:

I wish you all to have a great season and that all goes well :)

Wildfowler325

Its close now, just spent the afternoon cleaning off the deeks bit of touch up work on a few old souls, last few nights loading 10 bore shells. Still cannot decide were to make a start, just got into another club and mad keen for a shooting recon or their are the established early season flight-lines on the ones I know. Decisions, decisions

woooohoooo 2 moore sleeps to go all ready done some reacon for the flight lines for the honkers, I carnt wait :)

stocking up on shells tomorrow getting some steel no 3 shot in 3 1/2 inche mag after work and gtting me bag return forms sorted out

out of curiosity what size shot do you lot use for the honkers and the duck ?

woooohoooo 2 moore sleeps to go all ready done some reacon for the flight lines for the honkers, I carnt wait :)

stocking up on shells tomorrow getting some steel no 3 shot in 3 1/2 inche mag after work and gtting me bag return forms sorted out

Duck size 3 steel and geese 1's that will see you right :good:

That's an unusual shell, number 3 is a bit small for flighting geese but I tried a box myself on duck and found although they killed well the recoil was higher than I cared for without any gain in practical purpose for ducking. Are you thinking head / neck shooting around 30yds on geese?

preferred steel goose shells for me are number 1 upwards (BBB favourite) no.3 for duck (short range open chokes 4s) As a large duck / Duck at range or stupid goose I think no.2 American is hard to beat.

In the widely favoured 3" no.3 Mammoth steel, the shot looses a lot of energy at around 40 yds at a guess based on real experiance as such it will rarely penetrate the breast of say a mallard and you rely instead on head/ neck but unfortunately the cripple rate rises and so such shots are best avoided. I found fitting a kicks modified choke did increase my range as regards actually hitting duck but soon wound my neck in when I saw how little damage it did to the main killing areas. This is why either going to super fast home-loads or upping the shot size by two sizes over lead is to be recommended. It used to be 5 lead for duck for most this is now 3 steel, were 6 lead was used its now no.4 (you can see this in the threads on shell choice)

While I agree with Kent that no 3 would not be the steel shot of my choice for geese ( BB or BBB is my prefered choice ) its an unescapeable fact that I have done rather well at greylags in the past few years with Gamebore mammoths in no 3. While duck shooting I have had greylag come over and with no time to change shells in my S\A have let the geese come well in before shooting and most have come down. But in the majority of cases the greylags have not been dead , but all have been badly hit and most unable to attempt to escape. Its true the majority of shots have been between 30 and 40 yards , but there was one high grey that I shot at 50 yards that caught me by surprise and tumbled to my shot. In hindsight perhaps I should not have shot , but it came over from behind and I took an instinctive snap shot. It was head shot and as usual not dead , but unable to swim , giving my dog an easy retrieve from the duck decoys. Over the last couple of years I have probably had about 40 shots using no 3 steel at greylags and put 35 of them in the bag.