Wildfowling Season 2013-2014

Wildfowler325

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never been one for shooting hares , but several friends do like to eat them so once or twice a year I wil shoot the odd one for them.I cant understand where our local hares have dissapered to though I did wonder if they had moved into more sheldered farmland to get away from the recent strong winds. I shoot on the N norfolk coast and the Broads and so far this season its been pretty poor for duck apart from a short spell in early October when there were plenty of wigeon about , but they soon moved on. Had 10 flights in a row without a fair chance of a shot at a duck , just a few half chances of birds flashing over you when its still dark.

Out last night with my dad to a local muddy bay in the hope of a shot we.weren't expecting much but my old man nearly turned to greylag around with his voice he was doing a cracker job until he started coughing :blush: but a short while after there was teal buzzing everywhere but only one was a pair was safe to shoot I had a shot at a bird on the right and missed :/ but my old man had one shot at the teal on the left and drop it stone dead :yahoo: was real proud to be out there with my dad last night and now I know I'm going to have to practice If I'm ever going to be as good as him, then it was time for the retrieve which my lad marked well but didn't have a clue to lift it so I had to go out and pick it myself.

For my first trip on the foreshore it was pretty good even if I did miss but welcome to my dad who hadn't shot at teal in over 20 :good:

its strange... i might be a total newbie to wild fowling, only having gone four times (over the last five weeks) and none of the trips have come even close to my first but i have found myself totally addicted... i seem to count the days down as the week ticks by and we didnt go this week as the forcast was real bad and i am so gutted about missing a week... just have to start that count down clock once more.. six days left!

I didn't go out onto the marsh yesterday. I was still a bit disappointed that I couldn't get Big Mat under a few pinks when I took him out on Friday.

I saw the forecast for this morning and had to be out.

I wasn't the first in the car park this morning, but I was still able to pick where I wanted to go. There was a good bit of water on the marsh on arrival and the intention was to follow the tide out. I was expecting more chances at ducks than geese, as I thought I wouldn't be able to get near the flightlines due to the tide.

A few singles and small parties of pinks were flighting as the light started to grow. I called a loner straight over, 45 yards up. Clean missed with the first barrel, the second sent it planning slowly down to the sea wall. Surely dead, I thought i'd leave it until the flight ended.

I next took out a mallard that made the mistake of getting too close. Shame I wasted a 1 5/8 oz Hevi13 shell on it. I only loaded up 6 of them last night and I was down to my last 3 already.

Whilst sending the dog for the mallard (she went in the wrong direction) I took down a pink cleanly. Sadly, this left me with just 1 Hevi left. I duly wasted this not long after.

I was really kicking myself for not being better prepared. It was turning into a great flight and I had no proper goose cartridges left. I had found out yesterday whilst pattern testing, that my extrema throws some great patterns with Eley lightning 3 and my .655 Terror choke. It also chucks some great patterns with the hevi (but that mattered not right now).

I didn't pattern any Lightning no.1s yesterday, but decided that if any more pinks came through I would give them a go, along with some homeloaded 34gm 2 @ approx. 1550fps.

After a little while I spotted a bunch of pinks coming straight for me and only 25 yards up. My homeload 2s brought the first one down, but I had to give the next bird a follow up shot after being hit hard initially with the Lightning 1s.

I may well have taken a shot or two more if I had some more suitable ammunition, but I let a few skeins fly over unchallenged.

I searched for a while for my pink near the sea wall, but with no joy. That certainly finished the flight on a sour note, but that's the way it goes sometimes.

post-2090-0-53402200-1383483810_thumb.jpg

Sounds like a good flight motty, shame about the pinks ( and those greys! ) friday but its wildfowling after all! Did you go same entrance?

I went out this morning, had two shots at a wigeon but no luck. 1 1/4 BB probably wasnt the best thing to be shooting at wigeon with.

I did have a skein of pinks come over me in the half light, they didnt make a sound and it was that windy i didnt hear any wing beats. It was too late by the time i saw them, i could have taken a shot but at the height they were i'd have peppered several birds in the back end so i did not take the shot. They finally went wink wink once they'd gotten another 30 yards from me.

Sounds like a good flight motty, shame about the pinks ( and those greys! ) friday but its wildfowling after all! Did you go same entrance?

I went out this morning, had two shots at a wigeon but no luck. 1 1/4 BB probably wasnt the best thing to be shooting at wigeon with.

I did have a skein of pinks come over me in the half light, they didnt make a sound and it was that windy i didnt hear any wing beats. It was too late by the time i saw them, i could have taken a shot but at the height they were i'd have peppered several birds in the back end so i did not take the shot. They finally went wink wink once they'd gotten another 30 yards from me.

Yeah, same entrance. I was about 300yards more towards the river.

Shame you couldn't bag anything this morning. Better luck next time.

So thats what the worlds unluckiest goose looks like , it still has a shocked look on its face :lol:

Very unlucky goose! All i need to do now is get a pink on the foreshore!

Did I read that correct if so well done chap congrats to you.

Yes you did read it correct! If i hadnt have had a witness to me shooting it i dont think some fowlers on here would have believed me :lol:

I didn't go out onto the marsh yesterday. I was still a bit disappointed that I couldn't get Big Mat under a few pinks when I took him out on Friday.

I saw the forecast for this morning and had to be out.

I wasn't the first in the car park this morning, but I was still able to pick where I wanted to go. There was a good bit of water on the marsh on arrival and the intention was to follow the tide out. I was expecting more chances at ducks than geese, as I thought I wouldn't be able to get near the flightlines due to the tide.

A few singles and small parties of pinks were flighting as the light started to grow. I called a loner straight over, 45 yards up. Clean missed with the first barrel, the second sent it planning slowly down to the sea wall. Surely dead, I thought i'd leave it until the flight ended.

I next took out a mallard that made the mistake of getting too close. Shame I wasted a 1 5/8 oz Hevi13 shell on it. I only loaded up 6 of them last night and I was down to my last 3 already.

Whilst sending the dog for the mallard (she went in the wrong direction) I took down a pink cleanly. Sadly, this left me with just 1 Hevi left. I duly wasted this not long after.

I was really kicking myself for not being better prepared. It was turning into a great flight and I had no proper goose cartridges left. I had found out yesterday whilst pattern testing, that my extrema throws some great patterns with Eley lightning 3 and my .655 Terror choke. It also chucks some great patterns with the hevi (but that mattered not right now).

I didn't pattern any Lightning no.1s yesterday, but decided that if any more pinks came through I would give them a go, along with some homeloaded 34gm 2 @ approx. 1550fps.

After a little while I spotted a bunch of pinks coming straight for me and only 25 yards up. My homeload 2s brought the first one down, but I had to give the next bird a follow up shot after being hit hard initially with the Lightning 1s.

I may well have taken a shot or two more if I had some more suitable ammunition, but I let a few skeins fly over unchallenged.

I searched for a while for my pink near the sea wall, but with no joy. That certainly finished the flight on a sour note, but that's the way it goes sometimes.

That's a good flight :good: nothing worse than running low on cartridges but at least you had a few birds in the bag by then!

Well done matt. you propper wildfowler now.

Some old timer told me is doesnt count because it wasnt on the foreshore! mentioning no names...

I was tucked down below the top of a creek this morning and when i popped up this is the view i got
DSCF0554_zps1b104706.jpg
See a few bits flying about, got out on my favorite part of the marsh. Had a few gun issues but it was still a good enjoyable morning.
I got this look from the dog, i dont think she approved of my muttering and swearing about the gun!
DSCF0563_zpse26bbb12.jpg
Same time again in the morning i think!
Edited by Big Mat

Some old timer told me is doesnt count because it wasnt on the foreshore! mentioning no names...

I was tucked down below the top of a creek this morning and when i popped up this is the view i got
DSCF0554_zps1b104706.jpg
See a few bits flying about, got out on my favorite part of the marsh. Had a few gun issues but it was still a good enjoyable morning.
I got this look from the dog, i dont think she approved of my muttering and swearing about the gun!
DSCF0563_zpse26bbb12.jpg
Same time again in the morning i think!

Well done with the "Grey lag" Mat, HCC will be sweating now!.....he's got to fire another cartridge, 2 in one season...whatever next!!

cheers mate...Dale.

Big Mat if your not got your Pink by Christmas let me know and I will give you the opportunity to get under some in range. The rest is down to you and " Well Done " on your Grey

thanks for the offer, if i havent got one i'll message you. I've been under some already this season, i just couldnt hit the things!