22-250 mod on a .243

walt1980

Yeah prob will swap it, but its soo nice n shiney! Gotta say bl..dy light! Really wanted to try it! :-(

Keep it! Put in for a .22-250.......sorted :good:

If its specd for .22-250 wont it need proofing after any work to stay on the right side of the law?

On the other hand .44mm isnt a lot is it? How much 'meat' is there to play with, so to speak?

Edited by moor man

Plenty of meat. As far as I can see its only the exit hole that's even close!! Such a tiny amount, almost worth a try, it's not like the bullet head is flush with the edges when it's fired?! Wondered about pressures etc tho? Not sure on how much punch is behind a 22-250? Bigger bang n pressures or not??

Afaik, powder and pressures are quite similar between the two.

I'm not sure about the legal side but I'd personally be prepared to bend that particular rule.

My concern would be a bullet strike, I had one on a .22lr that destroyed the mod (sako), its not pretty but at least it's away from you.

Destroy £250 mod and risk an injury? I'd have a good think about that one to be honest.

I'd bet good money the importer won't recommend it; they wouldn't risk it even if they knew it would be ok. Too much "where there's blame, there's a claim".

Hardy's only come in 6.5mm bore and .30 cal bore. it will be marked as a 22-250 as thats what it was proofed on!

it will be "engraved" as a 22-250 but thats the proof mark. you can either cover it up and just leave it and say it's un proofed or have it re proofed as a .243. your coice.

you CAN use this on the .243 no problem atall!

im just abit curious how you got it appart to measure it... as they are a pressure sealed unit! haha

ATB

callum @ Riflecraft

I might be wrong on this one but if you took a .243 round and put it in the exit hole of the mod, so long as it doesn't touch the sides, doesn't that make the hole big enough?

If you like I can measure the internal and exit holes on my wildcat and see what the difference is?

If the bullet isn't going to clip I can't see it being a problem.

Just my uneducated 2p, but other than actually clipping the hole sides and enlarging them in a dramatic fashion, isn't the pressure difference more of an issue. I reckon you could do an exaggerated safety trial to see what happens - on the understanding that you may peel it apart / get a nice light mod that works perfectly well.