men of yamaha

Paddy Galore!

Hi gents, been thinking of getting another bike, the shed looks lonely without one, now fzr thous seem to be stupidly cheap, and i've always secretly hankered for the big yam, but being a kawasaki man i know nothing of what to look out for, here is the biggie, what, if anything goes wrong with these that i should be aware of? views on either the genesis or exup are all greatly appreciated,

thanks,

Paddy.

Like fruity...had plenty of yams. My first road bike at 17 was a 400cc exup.

The exup valve rattled like an addict going cold turkey but was a simple sort, older FZR's often suffer from clutch bother and I found the rubbers on the air box perish easily but nothing that's unsolvable with some tlc!

With a yam at least it won't rust back to its natural state...

unlike the kwak :lol:

Had yams for years for moto x, track bikes and road bikes , pretty well bomb proof if kept maintained imho , my last R1 the exup valve played up , but new cables and was back to perfect besides that never had any probs , only besides me crashing them :)

now i heard they were bomb proof, but i manage to break stuff on a regular basis, is there a weak point anywhere? :lol:

it will be a fixerupper so i'm expecting problems :lol:

Edited by Paddy Galore!

unlike the kwak :lol:

now i heard they were bomb proof, but i manage to break stuff on a regular basis, is there a weak point anywhere? :lol:

Ha yeh usually the one dressed in leather wearing a bash hat!

Seriously though, I hammered Hondas and yams and although the gear boxes on most yams are not as smooth as a CBR I still ended up back in the Yam stable.

Ha yeh usually the one dressed in leather wearing a bash hat!

Seriously though, I hammered Hondas and yams and although the gear boxes on most yams are not as smooth as a CBR I still ended up back in the Yam stable.

cheers, looking like a goer then :good: i know old bikes usually need a fair bit of looking after, my old Z thou was virtually rebuilt from scratch so i'm used to "fixing" things :lol:

cheers, looking like a goer then :good: i know old bikes usually need a fair bit of looking after, my old Z thou was virtually rebuilt from scratch so i'm used to "fixing" things :lol:

Have to admit I've been wavering over spending some hard earned on an old school YZF and sorting it out in the old "fast orange" race colours..

When I had the Exup I spent hours and hours on the deltabox frame, used about fifteen boxes of discs on the DA and finally had the alloy polished like glass....ohhh god those were the days lol

Cant complain. Had a 2009 R6 and now the current R6. So much better than the rest. Tried my friends cbr600rrs, zx6rs and gixxers. Nowhere near as good.

Bias Yamaha rider...

Try Kawasaki, So much better than the rest. Tried my friends cbr600rrs, zx6rs and gixxers. Nowhere near as good

Haha.

Edited by BRNDL

What yam you looking at fella year model etc built many a yam track bike

anything as long as it's cheap, seen a few for less than a grand, and a few nice ones around £1500, all depends on the tax rebate of course but i'm due a little lump back and i'd love another bike, sick and tired of going out either in the van or the wifes little 1.0L 3 cyl pug 107, they're so bloody slow! we get over taken by pensioners in micras! i need speed :w00t: and force fed oxygen at "ahem" 70mph :whistling::innocent:

Bias Yamaha rider...

Try Kawasaki, So much better than the rest. Tried my friends cbr600rrs, zx6rs and gixxers. Nowhere near as good

Haha.

Haha! I used to ride kawasaki back when i did motocross. I couldn't complain really.

Yam R6 is deff better than the rest of the 600s in the supersports range!

The man said he wanted a big Yamaha, and you're all telling him R6's are the best of the bunch. Since when was a 600 a "big" bike?

1K exups are suffer from flaky Exup valves - more often that not its cables but these days reckon on replacing the motor too. One that's fettled there's not really much to go wrong unless it's been caned and the bottom end is shot, but you'll hear that when you listen to the head. Be aware you're only looking at a 145 bph at the crank on these engines from new, so you're going to see something like 125, if that, on a good motor.

If I were buying another from this era, it'd be a Fireblade or an early R1. The FZR's were long in the tooth even then.

I have a 89 fzr 1000 and most of my friends years ago had yamaha exup etc.

Was going to put it on road this year , as only £100 to insure.

Last time was on it seen 155 on clock down A45 , so cheap bike that is still fast .

My friends used to ditch exup valve and fit race exhaust , so can be done, if valves bust.

Also main output shaft output shaft bearings sometimes failed , so watch for that as total rebuild!

And they suffer a gearbox shifting problem under hard acceleration going in 3nd gear , feels like you are pulling clutch in and out quickly.

Again nightmare fix, so if you go on one , test for that on test ride full throttle in 2nd and see if it feels like clutch is slipping.

But cheap parts on ebay all the time, and sometimes some trick parts cheap also, like wheels exhausts upside down RI forks conversions etc.

Regards

Jonny.

• 2 weeks later...

Yams that age always end up looking like they've got eczema and flake everywhere, clutches stick, calipers corrode, exup valves stick n root the cables n motors (exhaust heat seizes them up quick!)

I'd go for an early blade, 92 if you can get one, they're going up in price, or a mint gsxr750 oil cooled, well worth hanging on to! But keep original as poss, this means horrible massive indicators and droopy mirrors!! I'm now buying an rgv250, it's mint!!!