Succesfull new permission

Longchalk

Feeling pretty chipper with myself today after gaining another new permission this morning. My third in a couple of months. This one is just shy of 600 acres, over two farms, near where I live. Half of it is on the way to work so should be handy for checking flight lines etc.

I had expected a hard slog to get access to decent land, especially with me being a "incomer" round here, but it's been much easier than I had feared. Now I'm certainly not looking to teach anyone on here how to suck eggs, but for what it's worth, this is what has been working for me...................

1. Get some cards made up with your contact details, stating that you are insured, experienced (if you are) and that you will respect their crops and livestock at all times. Vistaprint have some decent shooting themed images/backgrounds to choose from, with 250 cards for under £20 quid.

2. Dress the part. Put your best shooting gear on. (Not camou!...think gamekeeper, not scary paramilitary.) Also consider wearing a tie (yes really!) Put your tweed cap on. It's a universal symbol that you, like them, are a proper countryman... Look the part and they will think you are worth their time. Go in jeans and a trakkie top and you risk them thinking you are just there to case the joint for scrap metal.

3. Pick your moment. I have been sitting on my hands for three weeks because I figured no-one would want to be bothered by me during harvest. Now that I am finally talking to them, I've managed to drop that fact into conversation to demonstrate that I'm on their wavelength. I've had best results calling round on a Sunday morning, but not before 10am... Even farmers like the occasional lie in.

4. Be polite, and be brief: "Good morning my name is xxxxxx, I live over at xxxxxx. Sorry to disturb you, but I was hoping there might be a chance to do some pigeon shooting on your land?" .... That really is all the patter you need. When you get a "No", take it with a smile. ...."Ok, thanks for your time, can I leave you a card in case things change at all?" ... No one I've spoken to has refused a card.

One thing that I really believe works... When they open the door, make a visible point of taking your cap off as you introduce yourself. It sounds like archaic old ****, but old fashioned courtesy still goes a long way with land owners, and who doesn't like to be a flattered a little bit?

5. Be organised. I carry a small A4, zip-up folder containing my shotgun licence, insurance docs, plenty of cards, a local ordnance survey map for discussing boundaries, and a notepad & pen. If you look even half-way professional at the door, they will believe you might be reliable in the field.

That's about it really. It probably helps that I used to be a sales rep many moons ago, so am used to cold calling and sounding more confident than I am, but if you dress smart, think smart and look efficient, and at the end of the day you are offering to do them a favour, sooner rather than later you'll land one... It's just a numbers game.

The hard part for me I suspect, is going to be resurrecting my field-craft after many years of doing 'eff all..... I can talk the talk, now I need to walk the walk....Better go read some more posts on PW !!

Cheers all.

Longchalk.

Edited by Longchalk

Longcalk: I wish I was like you at cold calling. I am a shy coward and cant even go up the drive. The only farmers I have asked is at the side of the road. I got one shoot by beating for a gamekeeper. I even get shy when I have to phone him to go sooting. Trouble is I cant shoot shoot on his patch between July and Feb, because he said I will upset his game birds. Maybe I should take the wife along. She will talk the back legs off a donky LOL.

CamoJohn: Yeah it can be tough if its not your natural style I guess. I'm just one of those annoying ******* who make jokes in shop queues and talk to strangers in pubs.

No farmer has ever shouted, laughed ,sworn or set the dogs on me though. I reckon they probably get people coming to the door about all sorts of stuff every day, so its no biggie to them... All I can say is, once you've done a couple and not got chewed out, you soon get on a roll.

If you do take the missus, don't actually hide behind her skirt though... It aint a good look on a hunter!

Edited by Longchalk

That makes a good read - Thanks

I also work in sales and talk to random strangers...even a few off P.W probably feel like they have known me years! :lol:

I have been door knocking with my best flat cap, checked shirt and laksen Gilet with the mole skin trousers and tan Chelsea boots...but to no avail so far! :big_boss:

That said, I do adopt the same approach as you.

The pigeon man rocks about in his cammo gear and has many a thousand acre to choose from, but he does have a good reputation for shooting. :shoot: