Gun fit /Mount....

liam8223

Hi, this has more than likely been done to death but...

I have had my gun a while now, not done loads with it.

I have been out in the field after crows and pigeon but I keep noticing that when I mount the gun,

not even in a hurry, that I look slightly down the right hand side of the barrels.

I am right handed and, I believe right eye dominant.

My question is this;

What element would help more, either;

Shooting lessons focused on mount

Adjustable comb

or a cast adjustment?

I really like my gun and dont really want to swap it but I will if I just need some slightly different stock dimensions.

What I will say is that I had a lesson with a new B725 and it felt great - my B525 doesn't seem to come to shoulder right.

Sorry for the long post, I just want some advice from some more experienced souls before I get some lessons at my local.

Liam.

'old ee 'ard m'dear!

From your choice of three solutions, the correct answer is none of the above - at least for the time being.

You need a 3ish foot square sheet of something stiffish that you can mount with the centre about 5 feet high with the centre marked somehow to give a target - note I didn't say aiming point. Look at the target, mount and fire three or more shots from a measured 16 yards - as you are quite close, the more open choked barrel is fine. From the dense pattern area, deduce its centre. With regard to height (you've mentioned live quarry) 2/3s above and 1/3 below the target centre is good. Obviously, neither left nor right of centre is not. Should you be centrally placed horizontally and ish as indicated vertically, job done. Where you think you may be looking may not be right but where the shot goes is inescapably correct.

Should the pattern print elsewhere, you now know that you need some help and being able to provide the deviation at 16 yards, that information will give whoever you speak to a starting point to help you out.

About £40 at a good gunsmith's will sort you out with a good gun fit

It took my local one 48 hours to give me the gun back and my shooting advanced about 200 %, best £40 ever spent and if not happy a free further adjustment

So what did you get done to it for £40 ?

Seems very cheap.

Thanks for the replies.

Wymberley, that seems a sensible approach, and of course with me being fairly new to the shotgun I may well be

over thinking the situation.

I will get onto that asap, and I'm booking a lesson at Kibworth too.

I'm also fortunate that I'm only 20 mins away from Holloway Naughton, where Andrew Harvison is said to be 'the man' for gun fitting.

So with the pattern plate, 3 by 3 feet with centre at 5 feet high.

16yds to muzzle I assume?

Are you saying mount and shoot, as if I were after a pigeon etc or mount and aim?

Thanks for your advice.

Liam.

Liam,

You've done the sensible thing so you could quite happily kick me, sat 200 miles away at a keyboard, into touch. I would be inclined to see Andrew Harvison first and then get some instruction.

However, if you do want to have a go, simply start with the gun below the target and slowly raise it and as soon as the target is sitting on the barrels height wise, pull the trigger.

But it's not always about gun fit: sometimes it's you fit. To see what I mean, stand sideways as though you were shooting a rifle with your elbow down. Do not cheat here! Keeping your eye on the target, bring the empty gun up and as soon as you see the barrels are level with the target, keep the gun still and note the position of the barrels horizontally in relation to the target. Now stand square on to the target, feet shoulder width apart and elbow raised so your shoulder pocket is open and try again. Emphasize, don't cheat. You should see a difference. If you were to seek no further help, then assuming a position that achieved the barrels directly below the target without forcing them left or right is what you'd require. However, as the latter stance is correct (consistent with comfort), you can bet your bottom dollar that that is what the fitter and coach will both require of you in order to get you correctly sorted.

Yep, 16 yards to muzzle - coach and fitter will both explain the reason for that distance should you not already know.

Edited by wymberley

Andy is certainly the man, but he's been in Canada for several months and he told me that he won't be back until October

He's fitted my guns before and I can't fault him - his instruction is excellent too!

******!

I hadn't actually had time to ring him yet, but that puts a bit of a downer on the situation!

Thanks for the heads up.

Liam.