multi fuel burner help

Psyxologos

Hi all. I would appreciate some help please. A friend of ours moved into a home that has a multi fuel burner but they want to get rid of it, so they offered it to us. We are excited about the prospect, but we really know very little about the process and who to contact about it. I guess we need a builder or heating technician to come over and install a flue through our chimney, right? Any idea how much these things cost? It needs some TLC as a seal (looks like it is made out of some rope like material) around the door is broken and will need replacing. I attach some pictures of the burner, just in case anyone can recognise the manufacturer or can give me some more information about heat output etc. Many thanks for your help in advance!

post-13375-0-90893800-1379297195_thumb.jpg

post-13375-0-48632000-1379297263_thumb.jpg

Edited by Psyxologos

You can buy the rope sealer off ebay along with the special glue to hold it on. Look for stove door seal kits.

You can also repaint it with high temperature paint, but you might want to sandblast the old stuff off first for a nice finish.

Edited by aris

You can buy stainless steel 6" flue liner and intall it yourself, it will give you maximum draw and efficiency (mine cost around £250 in total for 8 meters) or get a HETAS engineer to do it. They would need scaffolding and 2 people so it won't be cheap.

The alternative, if your existing flue is in good condition, is get a register plate in the chimney and seal it well but it won't be quite as efficient.

Either way, brush your chimney first.

We had one put in just over a year ago,as the chimney was lined with concrete pipes we didn't need the flexible stainless pipe. Didn't want to deepen the fireplace so I got them to fit it to my sketches and got some stone pillars built to support a solid oak mantel. Cost overall about £2k. If you do a self install might I suggest getting an approved installer along to certify the installation? Regs on air feed, hearth construction and space requirements are all available online so you can check that out simply enough.

Should come up well after a sand blast followed by a coat of high temperature paint!! They do add something to the room I reckon.

Don't forget the carbon monoxide monitor.

post-323-0-28297100-1379322310_thumb.jpg

It's a tiger stove I've got one. Lots if info available if you google it

Indeed, it looks like it. Many thanks!

Many thanks everyone. It sounds like getting a professional to line the chimney is the way forward. I will have to get a few quotes from local people then, as I am not the handiest of people when it comes to these things. So do I look for HETA registered contractors to carry out the job?

Yes, HETAS are the trade body - like Gas Safe for gas.

The prices quoted above for supply and installation - especially with the siainkess steel flues - seem very reasonable. I've recently paid much more, twice.

Thanks for the help. I really do not have £2000 to spare at the moment, so hopefully it will cost less than that. otherwise it will not be viable for me to go for it.

i havnt had my flue lined, i had the chimney checked and it is perfect.......to line a chimey and backfill it with vermiculite will cost about £900.00 ..its not cheap...my stainless flue goes up the chimney about a metre....all you need to do is make a blanking off plate where the flue goes into the chimney.

there are 3 different sizes of rope (doorseal).....dont use the special glue ..it is very expensive........use head gasket sealer the red stuff...its good for 250 deg and is only £2.00 quid....make sure you seal the door properly as it will overheat as it draws to much air....

i havnt had my flue lined, i had the chimney checked and it is perfect.......to line a chimey and backfill it with vermiculite will cost about £900.00 ..its not cheap...my stainless flue goes up the chimney about a metre....all you need to do is make a blanking off plate where the flue goes into the chimney.

there are 3 different sizes of rope (doorseal).....dont use the special glue ..it is very expensive........use head gasket sealer the red stuff...its good for 250 deg and is only £2.00 quid....make sure you seal the door properly as it will overheat as it draws to much air....

Thanks a lot. A cost of £900 is closer to what I can afford at the moment...

P.S: Will the HETAS engineer be able to check the condition of the chimney and make a decision on whether I need it lined or filled with vermiculite ?

Edited by Psyxologos

When I bought my Hunter 4 the guy said as I had a clay lined flue I didn't need it lined - 18 month's later I got the black smelly sooty water down chimney breast - What the stove supplier hadn't factored in was cowboy builders of 70's installing clay liner upside down - Line it now just to be sure.

dave

We had one put in just over a year ago,as the chimney was lined with concrete pipes we didn't need the flexible stainless pipe. Didn't want to deepen the fireplace so I got them to fit it to my sketches and got some stone pillars built to support a solid oak mantel. Cost overall about £2k. If you do a self install might I suggest getting an approved installer along to certify the installation? Regs on air feed, hearth construction and space requirements are all available online so you can check that out simply enough.

Should come up well after a sand blast followed by a coat of high temperature paint!! They do add something to the room I reckon.

Don't forget the carbon monoxide monitor.

What sort of fire did you have before, was it a gas fire?

When I bought my Hunter 4 the guy said as I had a clay lined flue I didn't need it lined - 18 month's later I got the black smelly sooty water down chimney breast - What the stove supplier hadn't factored in was cowboy builders of 70's installing clay liner upside down - Line it now just to be sure.

dave

The other side of this is only use well seasoned wood. The issue is the creosote deposits that can happen with damp wood and shutting a log burner down. I tend to just line the chimneys now as its simple, you get a better draw and it stops most of the chances of a chimney fire. Burn it hot occasionally and you hear the deposits falling down the chimney and into the fire.