Mature student?.........moi?

ack-ack

At 0900 tomorrow i shall embark upon the next potential failure in my life, a masters degree (the irony that i will be classed as a mature student isn't lost on me)

Its been sixteen years since i last attended an educational establishment and i don't quite know what to expect. Its all face cloth and tweeters these days, when ah were a lad we dint even have email!!

I think im still cool enough though, ive got all the kit that the army surplus wearing unwashed so called academics today respect, a sandwich toaster, a jostick burner thing, a che guevarra tee shirt, a smiths poster and ive still got plenty of profalactics from my first stint at uni. Most of them have never been used!

Theres the nagging doubt that my ability to take up knowledge has been reduced over the years. I suppose i wont really know until i attempt to discuss the days lectures over a mung bean pot noodle in the nelson mandela SU building.

Any body done the mature stude bit?

Any tips?

Wife in her third year at uni and absolutely loving it, and she'd be classed as a mature student definitely I wouldn't dare put that she's fffffiiiiiffff ish well you know where I'm going.

ps sorry just sit back and relax was her advice and enjoy, at least you'll not be worrying about zits and trivialities :lol: .

Edited by snowmonster

Yeah, I'm almost half way through a physics/maths honours degree with the OU. Still got 4 years to go, it is fascinating and I do enjoy it but it bloody tough going sometimes when I'm juggling a full time work, kids, extra freelance work and all the other nonsense that goes with life. Most of it is done in the evening from about 10pm to around 1am (with a break for tea and biccies and family guy).

My mate who is 34 and gone on a IT course and ended up coppin off with a 22 yr old , he just has to tell his wife now :)

That sounds ideal. By the same rationale can i march in tomorrow and demand a 27 year old? I appreciate that not having a wife makes you less attractive to the ladies so i will settle for a 30 year old.

You will love it, don't forget the teachers apple, no hanging around the bike sheds and always carry enough dinner money. Don't forget as well that you must do all your coursework the day before it's due, it's the only way to test your true worth.

Day before? Pah! Week after! Lol

Good luck hope you enjoy it . I'm like a wet sponge now don't think I could absorb any information.

Cheers chap

Yeah, I'm almost half way through a physics/maths honours degree with the OU. Still got 4 years to go, it is fascinating and I do enjoy it but it bloody tough going sometimes when I'm juggling a full time work, kids, extra freelance work and all the other nonsense that goes with life. Most of it is done in the evening from about 10pm to around 1am (with a break for tea and biccies and family guy).

I'm surprised you even have time for cat facts. Commendable.

Wife in her third year at uni and absolutely loving it, and she'd be classed as a mature student definitely I wouldn't dare put that she's fffffiiiiiffff ish well you know where I'm going.

ps sorry just sit back and relax was her advice and enjoy, at least you'll not be worrying about zits and trivialities :lol: .

Hell, its sitting back and relaxing that i'm worried about. I should have phd in that!

Dear Mrs Trellis, I have been reviewing your correspondence from the last few days and come to the realisation that you are having a midlife crisis.

I take it your course is on counselling or such like which may, in due course, promote you to being the PigeonWatch agony aunt. Whilst not needing to partake of such a Nobel service, I feel duty bound to expound your actions as useful but perhaps self motivated in finding petty minded amusement in other people's afflictions and woes.

Have a splendid time..... But don't try to mess with my feeble mind.

Good luck with it.

My wife completed a three year Diploma course this spring as a Mental Helath Nurse. She'd done years as a registered nurse.

She's coming up 52 and now got a good job that means I can afford to semi-retire and work as a gamekeeper.

Course I now have a problem. I was married to a woman who didn't understand me. Now, in my second marriage, I have a wife who does understand me. :/

Dear Mrs Trellis,

Have a splendid time..... But don't try to mess with my feeble mind.

Okay samantha x

Course I now have a problem. I was married to a woman who didn't understand me. Now, in my second marriage, I have a wife who does understand me. :/

You did make i laugh!

I went back at 24 to do my degree and was classed as a mature student by then. We had people in the group that were forty plus, they fitted in well and treated the course seriously rather than the pratting around that some of the younger school leavers got up to.

You may find one or two of the younger students irritating, their conversations, affectations and the way in which they find it hilarious to grab the front and back of your Tena adult nappy and give you a shreddy every breaktime annoying.

Likely that will be the worst of it.

I went back at 24 to do my degree and was classed as a mature student by then. We had people in the group that were forty plus, they fitted in well and treated the course seriously rather than the pratting around that some of the younger school leavers got up to.

You may find one or two of the younger students irritating, their conversations, affectations and the way in which they find it hilarious to grab the front and back of your Tena adult nappy and give you a shreddy every breaktime annoying.

Likely that will be the worst of it.

:lol::good:

Yeah and you'll have to wear your jeans half way down your backside and call everyone "bruv" or "blud".

After working as a panel beater for 17 years, I quit my job at the age of 33 to go to Univeristy and do a degree in accountancy.

I was more than 10 years older than anybody else in my class but must admit really enjoyed the three years I was at uni.

Now five years after graduating I am working as a finance manager.

Good on you, you won't regret it :)

I just remember that the humanities lot all had pony tails and smoked green 24/7. I still don't understand what a humanities degree (or any of the social "sciences") do or are fit for. Good excuse for a 3 year doss mind you.

Incidentally, my trainee whose family encourage hard work, did his law degree full time in 2 years. You don't need 3 years to do a degree - my time table for the final year amounted to at best 2 days work / week and then a bundle off for holidays. Factoring in a lecture / support staff strike every so often and it really is a complete departure from the real world. Ah, academia, what a great place to hide.

As someone who has been to work returning to education, you should be better disciplined and fill your day better than those straight out of school.

Ah, youth is wasted on the young alright. I digress.

Edited by Mungler

no- university is wasted on the old - if it isn't about having 3 years of being a complete beer monster in an environment when even i used to be able to get laid then what is it meant to be for ? the engineering degree was incidental and irrelevant to the fun top be had.

OP if indeed you are single think this- there will be lots of young but legal ladies away from home for the first time that will fall for the first father replacement to ask her what a levels she got. A friend of mine who stayed at uni until 30 poncing around with phds tagged this skill with the ladies as" the way of the badger" due to his greying hair. his acheivements with the ladiies certainly improved as he got greyer !

i,ve been thinking about some further education to enhance job prospects , i,ve been looking at local college prospectuses etc .

god knows what to do . just wondering if am i too old at 48 to learn

i was thinking along the customer services lines or , mental health care and security .

i dont really have any skills as such apart from people skills .

spent the last 24 years self employed as a market trader and 10 years plus working on the doors

any ideas