Can someone explain the attraction of watching cycling?

SO3isme

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm with you Kdubya,

So far this year I have watched the Le Tour, La Vuelta and the Tour of Britain (on TV). I have been cycling for the past 4 years, mostly as a short 3 mile commute to the train Station until I got a pretty good road bike at a very cheap price early last summer and try and get out a do 10 miles a night after work (not since mid July when I damaged a ligament in my left knee).

Unless you ride, you can't really appreciate the effort involved, and those boys put in some effort for sure.

Looking forward to next year's Tour de France, as it should come very close to where I live for the second stage. I shall be MAMIL'd up to the hilt.

Chris Horner's (American - RadioShack-Leopard) performance in La Vuelta was outstanding, at 41 years and 11 months, the oldest Grand Tour winner in history.

Going to miss it not being on TV, as there has been pretty much constant coverage since June.

As for cycling's health benefits, between April and November 2010, I lost 3 1/2 stone riding 6 miles a day to and from the train station, admittedly riding quite hard once I had got into the swing of things, from 25 minutes at the start to c. 10minutes in the end.

Its not quite over yet there is still this week to go on BBC.

http://road.cc/content/news/94049-bbc-broadcast-world-championships-road-races-time-trials-schedule

I have been watching it on telly for years, over the last couple of years more and more no cycling people I know have taken and interest in the grand tours, as they have started to understand the tactical side of it - it's well worn cliché but they don't call it 'chess on wheels' for nothing. Without being condescending, if you can't understand that bit the rest of it will be wasted on you.

Spectating in person is chance to see world class athletes up close, most times for nothing - very few other sports can offer that, plus when it is all over you can ride the same route as the pro's if you are that way inclined.

I have to say I don't think I would spend a few days camped on a mountain in Alps just to see them go past once but I understand it's all about the drinking and partying not a lot about the cycling.

Bagsy I went up to the Nocturne for the the first time this year, if you haven't been to that, it's a great evening out if the weather is kind.

As you say, you need to understand the nuances of the sport really.

Far better than 22 over paid nancys running around for 90 minutes.

IMO, the pro team Grand Tour riders are THE endurance athletes bar none.

I have been watching it on telly for years, over the last couple of years more and more no cycling people I know have taken and interest in the grand tours, as they have started to understand the tactical side of it - it's well worn cliché but they don't call it 'chess on wheels' for nothing. Without being condescending, if you can't understand that bit the rest of it is wasted on you.

Spectating in person is chance to see world class athletes up close, most times for nothing - very few other sports can offer that, plus when it is all over you can ride the same route as the pro's if you are that way inclined.

I have to say I don't think I would spend a few days camped on a mountain in Alps just to see them go past once but I understand it's all about the drinking and partying not a lot about the cycling.

Bagsy I went up to the Nocturne for the the first time this year, if you haven't been to that, it's a great evening out if the weather is kind.

I started watching the Tor-De-France several years ago mostly for the fantastic scenery in France the Houses and Castls and Mountains then as you watch it more you start to understand it and what is going on I only wish that I had a better memory to remember all of those long names.

Just out of interest as the British team is called team Sky do they not show it on Sky TV as it seems to be on ITV4 and BBC having said that I suppose that will be the next thing it will all be on pay TV so those who do not have it will not be able to see it at all.

Edited by four-wheel-drive

Can watch plenty of cyclists any time you like out in the countryside, the success of some of our sporting cyclists has led to them coming out onto the roads in droves lately! The decent summer hasn't helped matters and it now sounds as though the government is planning to pump £millions into encouraging more of it.

Many are sensible people but unfortunately a good number are arrogant idiots who ride 3 abreast down narrow country lanes, getting indignant at any car driver who dares to try and use the road.

For me its a bit like watching skiing im just waiting for someone to fall

being a white van driver I suppose you get to see plenty fall?

KW

If they want to stand around watching bikes good luck to them.....what I object to is racing on public roads, closing public roads and the cycle fascists spawned by these bike racers, the ones that think road signs and traffic lights are for someone else.... :mad:

unlike the lazy scumbags in cars who actually do believe they own the road.

KW

I do find it interesting to watch on the telly, especially when you get the squad of them together. However I think it would be hard to watch live as once they've passed then that's it, unlike racing on circuits where the competitors come past a few times and you can see the progression of the race.

I have to agree.

We were in Guildford last year for the ToB final stage, t'was a great day out as he had lunch/beers etc, but when they arrived they were gone in 60 seconds or less.

The organisers seem mindful of this now and seem to build in multi-lap 'crit' type last stages, the TdF this year was 10 laps of Paris and the ToB stage yesterday did several circuits of London.

You are lucky to have the Giro D'Italia visiting Norn Iron next year, that could be pretty special.

If they want to stand around watching bikes good luck to them.....what I object to is racing on public roads, closing public roads and the cycle fascists spawned by these bike racers, the ones that think road signs and traffic lights are for someone else.... :mad:

To be fair I see far more drivers ignoring lights and signs than I do cyclists. There are idiots in all walks of life.

Those LAZY SCUMBAGS that actually pay Vehicle Excise Licence and Vehicle Insurance to lawfully use the roads and comply with red lights and don't use the foootpaths?

ooh bitter :yes: you think your Vehicle Excise License pays for the use of the roads and all drivers are insured oh dear deluded or what.

KW

Bike fascists don't have any road sense, blasting about in their little bubble of self righteousness....Look at me, I'm saving the planet...muppets !!

Calm down, you'll give yourself a heart attack. Jump on a bike and do some fitness, it may help reduce those stress levels :good:

ooh bitter :yes: you think your Vehicle Excise License pays for the use of the roads and all drivers are insured oh dear deluded or what.

KW

Indeed, but at least MOST drivers are insured and pay their share unlike the bike fascists who just THINK they own the road. Somehow I suspect you could well be one, not sure why.