FAC and Calibre restrictions

Zetter

Hi All

I am not sure if this is a daft question but I don't know if FAC air is considered different to powder burners.

I know land is cleared to certain calibres i.e. it can be cleared up to say .223 so that's the maximum that an FAC can be granted for on that land along with other considerations of course.

My question is does this apply to FAC air?

For example if I applied for FAC on a permission of mine and the land was cleared say to .22 rimfire would I be able to go for something like a .30cal FX Boss or the .303 Wolverine on that land or would I be limited to .22 cal in FAC air? Or is it also related to muzzle energy as well?

I hope someone with experience of FAC air could answer this for me as its something I am considering on a permission of mine but don't want to plan for something big bore as an airgun if its not likely to be passed.

Thanks in advance

Neil

All Land had different Shooting Restrictions

Joke some forces will rather grant a powders Burner than a Air Gun

Only way to find out is to contact the Police Force Covering the land - Fire Arms Admin should be able to assist

with what the land is rated for -

Might need application in writing with a map and boundaries -

BOB/R

Hi All

I am not sure if this is a daft question but I don't know if FAC air is considered different to powder burners.

I know land is cleared to certain calibres i.e. it can be cleared up to say .223 so that's the maximum that an FAC can be granted for on that land along with other considerations of course.

My question is does this apply to FAC air?

For example if I applied for FAC on a permission of mine and the land was cleared say to .22 rimfire would I be able to go for something like a .30cal FX Boss or the .303 Wolverine on that land or would I be limited to .22 cal in FAC air? Or is it also related to muzzle energy as well?

I hope someone with experience of FAC air could answer this for me as its something I am considering on a permission of mine but don't want to plan for something big bore as an airgun if its not likely to be passed.

Thanks in advance

Neil

It is a bit daft, why would you want such an air rifle?

I imagine the shot count is below five, you'll not get any quarry on it other that normal air, and, when they've stopped laughing at the suggestion they'll laugh again at the tow truck of a air bottle you'd need.

It is a bit daft, why would you want such an air rifle?

I imagine the shot count is below five, you'll not get any quarry on it other that normal air, and, when they've stopped laughing at the suggestion they'll laugh again at the tow truck of a air bottle you'd need.

To be fair Kyska the new FX rifle in .30 is doing about 45 shots to the charge at about a 70 ft/lb energy and you are talking good grouping out to 60 yards + so looking at it could be a good substitute for a .22 rimfire but with less of a carry risk due to the nature of the projectile and probably less ricochet risk as well.

I do agree when you look at say the Wolverine the shot count is a real factor being about 10 before a refill but from first impressions the FX .30 seems to have overcome a lot of the issues associated with big bore air.

Added to it once you have purchased the rifle which is I admit a hefty cost running costs would be cheaper as well and the ammo is unrestricted.

Also I do like my air so I was toying with the idea of .17HMR for range and something in FAC air rather than a .22 rimfire.

Atb Neil

Yep I agree. .22lr would be much more practical, if it's quarry you are after. If it is just to be a toy not sure that is good reason. Someone else may know. Maybe join a rifle club. I have an FAC air, but only use it when I need a little more umph than standard air, but not conditions are not suitable for .22lr.

To be fair Kyska the new FX rifle in .30 is doing about 45 shots to the charge at about a 70 ft/lb energy and you are talking good grouping out to 60 yards + so looking at it could be a good substitute for a .22 rimfire but with less of a carry risk due to the nature of the projectile and probably less ricochet risk as well.

I do agree when you look at say the Wolverine the shot count is a real factor being about 10 before a refill but from first impressions the FX .30 seems to have overcome a lot of the issues associated with big bore air.

Added to it once you have purchased the rifle which is I admit a hefty cost running costs would be cheaper as well and the ammo is unrestricted.

Also I do like my air so I was toying with the idea of .17HMR for range and something in FAC air rather than a .22 rimfire.

Atb Neil

Fair enough, but these big bore air are not for the uk really.

That shot count is still dreadful, and with a rimfire that would be negated.

Re the ricochet, a heavy, slow moving projectile will bounce like rubber! I don't use lr on my farm because of this.

Atb Neil

My experience is that FAC air ricochet as much if not more than .22lr

My Airwolf pushes out 36 ft lbs and with bisley mags its supreme :good: TBH, it knocks everything down to 70 yards with un believable accuracy. Having experienced the damage, even at that distance, I personally wouldn't go any higher on ft lbs. I get 60+full power shots. I saw the new FX and its a gorgeous piece of kit. But, you really don't need that power and size and I think given what I have found, its kind of like using a 12g on a budgie :lol: .22, 30 - 35 ftlbs is imho perfect for FAC air :good: I had a Rapid at 40ftlbs, but that only returned 24 shots then dropped off. That had a 400cc bottle, the daystate is 500cc. (Tin hat on for the rapid die hards springing to its defence :lol: )

Don't be put off by the negative replies on here. A lot just don't get it, probably because they've never tried it. If you like your air rifles, get a good one and you'll love it :good:

Edited by turbo33

Yep I know a .17HMR is a different kettle of fish to FAC air (it goes a hell of a lot faster for a start) but as I said noise could be an issue and I want to push my range out a bit on the bunnys so it could boil down to a choice between FAC air and .22lr.

Edited by Zetter

Yep I know a .17HMR is a different kettle of fish to FAC air (it goes a hell of a lot faster for a start) but as I said noise could be an issue and I want to push my range out a bit on the bunnys so it could boil down to a choice between FAC air and .22lr.

A big bore air will be thunderous, lr is as quiet, as cheap in the long run.

Not knocking your ideas, I think more thought on practicalities would benefit.

Why don't you just give your FEO a ring? theyre generally nice guys to speak to and can give really good advice. I wouldn't personally bother with a .30 cal air rifle..I'd just jump up to .22 or .17HMR smallbore since you can get low velocity ammunition for these which would match the same power of your .30 air.

-Andrew

Why don't you just give your FEO a ring? theyre generally nice guys to speak to and can give really good advice. I wouldn't personally bother with a .30 cal air rifle..I'd just jump up to .22 or .17HMR smallbore since you can get low velocity ammunition for these which would match the same power of your .30 air.

-Andrew

Ok, help me out please, what is this low velocity ammo you can get for HMR?

Cheers

Edited by Dekers

If it was me i would go .22lr i am very lucky as my lr likes low power rounds and shoots good groups with velocitors hv rounds i have found if zeroed with subs at 50 yards i am good with cci quiet's at 30 yards and bang on with hv velocitors at 100 yards

but this is just my findings with my gun

Colin

I can't see that it is going to be much different for most folk!

And those CCI quiets are useful, shame GMK don't seem to want to bring in the segmenting version.

:good::good:

Ok, help me out please, what is this low velocity ammo you can get for HMR?

Cheers

In answer to your question...I can't speak of any specific brands/weights, but I know that depending on the bullet loading and weight the power is basically variable down to about 30ftlbs (maybe even less, though the usefulness of this is debatable). After a quick search on the forum search facility I did find this thread that may be of interest:

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/107323-low-powered-22lr-ammo/

I can't really comment on .17HMR at this point as I've not looked into it (I'm looking at getting a 22LR myself) but the physics and principles will be the same, and I'm sure if

you look around there will be varying FPS ammunition for that calibre too.

-Andrew

Cheers for all the advice on this all. If I clear the first hurdle I think I will put in for the usual .22lr, .17hmr and probably .22 FAC air. Which I think could be useful in certain areas but from advice its probably worth aiming for 30 ish ft/lb.

Edited by Zetter

In answer to your question...I can't speak of any specific brands/weights, but I know that depending on the bullet loading and weight the power is basically variable down to about 30ftlbs (maybe even less, though the usefulness of this is debatable). After a quick search on the forum search facility I did find this thread that may be of interest:

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/107323-low-powered-22lr-ammo/

I can't really comment on .17HMR at this point as I've not looked into it (I'm looking at getting a 22LR myself) but the physics and principles will be the same, and I'm sure if

you look around there will be varying FPS ammunition for that calibre too.

-Andrew

Something has got lost in translation, I am well aware of many types of .22lr compatible ammo, but NO Low velocity HMR ammo, which is why I asked after you said......

"...I'd just jump up to .22 or .17HMR smallbore since you can get low velocity ammunition for these...."

Something has got lost in translation, I am well aware of many types of .22lr compatible ammo, but NO Low velocity HMR ammo, which is why I asked after you said......

"...I'd just jump up to .22 or .17HMR smallbore since you can get low velocity ammunition for these...."

+1

The whole point of the HMR is for the high velocity.