the good old days (fishing)

colin lad

was chatting the other day to a mate about fishing back in the good old days,

when i got home i sat and thought back to some of my fishing sessions as a lad and have decided i am going to go back to some of my old time favorite places and try some of the old methods and baits such as'

fishing the local weir's and dragging your size ten hook up the weir steps to catch hold of some silk weed then turn round and trot it down under a waggler float and no weights down the line for the roach,

the other thing was to put a handful of wheat in a flask of hot water over night then drain it out and go chubbing down the local shallow fast flowing river,

to mention a few

do any of you older generation fishermen ever go back to your childhood spots to try and re kindle the good old days

colin

If you go to the Ouse and parts of the Ivel, beware of the crays. And the roach of old are not present in the numbers they were to catch on silkweed (The black plague - cormorants have seen to that).

I bet it was great to go back there my list of places to go and methods to try
Colin

Edited by Penelope

Used to fish a Rudd pond at black rock sands in Wales EVERY day of the summer hols.

Iv not been since I was 13 but I'm taking my boy soon... Used to be a tin of corn and scrape up a molehill and put it through the riddle. Fish it on a whip or a waggler rod and literally have 30lb of Rudd in 8h

Willowgarth at Arksey is the same, chop worm and caster, 8m of pole and a few sections behind in case you bump into a carp :-) iv had rings and rings full down there!

'tis true, they do.

Chub are partial too. One thing you'll find now is that 3lb isn't a big chub anymore, probably over 6 to be that now.

i fished a match a few years ago (upper ouse) 8 chub no other fish for 45lb

colin

i was thinking about this the other day good old swing tips i had a lovely perch as a kid 2 1/2lb

ah the swing tip great fun

colin

I am not exactly old...but I used to LOVE sitting on my old wicker basket that had been passed down by my old man, creaking and croaking every time you shuffled about on it. The big old leather carry strap digging in the shoulder after a long walk from the car to our chosen peg.

My favorite technique is setting uo the carp rod, straight 8lb line to size 6 hook. Floating bread in the margins or on top of a Lilly pad.

Excellent!

I am not exactly old...but I used to LOVE sitting on my old wicker basket that had been passed down by my old man, creaking and croaking every time you shuffled about on it. The big old leather carry strap digging in the shoulder after a long walk from the car to our chosen peg.

My favorite technique is setting uo the carp rod, straight 8lb line to size 6 hook. Floating bread in the margins or on top of a Lilly pad.

Excellent!

a mate of mine had a wicker basket we was fishing once some 35 years ago when he found a ferret we caught it and put it in his basket about half an hour later he leaped up of it screaming the little *****r just bit my **** laugh i was in tears of laughter

colin