silencer on a springer

chefy

I wouldn't go as far as saying its a total waste of time. It depends on how loud your internals are. I have a HW95K and the internals are actually very quiet on it. The muzzle does make a noticeable crack which is eliminated when I have the HW moderator fitted. Last time I was down Petes farm, someone else near me actually commented on how quiet it was for a springer. Ideally if you could borrow one from a friend/fellow shooter to try then you can find out and save some money if you aren't happy with the difference.

-Andrew

P.s. Also agree with the comment above...PCP is a much bigger difference. Without a mod, some PCPs are like a shotgun going off....

Edited by Theskyfox

As stated, the moderator will reduce the report, but not the sound of the mechanism. I have an Armex backdraft fitted to a tuned xs19. 5 mtrs infront (not directly in front!) of the muzzle the report is down to a "phut", whilst I still hear the mechanism (which is pretty muted, post tuning). As stated, they could possibly get you a second shot in some circumstances (one's where you can break the barrel and reload without being seen!) or if plinking in the garden, though a silenced pcp would probably be better.

I have just tried my HW95K and my BSA Lightning gas ram , with and without silencers, in my back yard

which has walls on either side 6ft high, so the noise can only go up, just to see (well hear).!

Yes , they do make a considerable difference in these circumstances. Not much at the gun, but

I should imagine dissipating across a field would be the same as the walls if you were a bunny.

But,,,,, nowhere near as quiet as my pcp's which are all fitted with HW100 Silencers.

Also shooting with any wind blowing towards you from your quarries direction will also help

significantly. But you probably know that. :good:

A silencer does make a difference to the muzzle report irrespective of the source of the charge of gas (pcp, spring or Co2)

it makes no difference to the noise arising from the action on a spring gun which is right next to the shooters ear.

What does make a difference to the noise of the action is installing a tune kit to elimenate much of the twang, noise and vibration.

The addition of a stainless shim piston sleeve helps a lot becauseit reduces lateral movement of the spring and so damps any resonation of the spring in conjunction with a close fitting spring guide.

To quieten a springer down, and make it more pleasant to shoot in the process, needs both a tune and a silencer.

why wouldn't a silencer work on a spring gun? It's like saying the silencer on a car works for petrol engines but not on a diesel

A silencer does make a difference to the muzzle report irrespective of the source of the charge of gas (pcp, spring or Co2)

it makes no difference to the noise arising from the action on a spring gun which is right next to the shooters ear.

What does make a difference to the noise of the action is installing a tune kit to elimenate much of the twang, noise and vibration.

The addition of a stainless shim piston sleeve helps a lot becauseit reduces lateral movement of the spring and so damps any resonation of the spring in conjunction with a close fitting spring guide.

To quieten a springer down, and make it more pleasant to shoot in the process, needs both a tune and a silencer.

why wouldn't a silencer work on a spring gun? It's like saying the silencer on a car works for petrol engines but not on a diesel

Because of the manner the air is delivered , the report from a un modded pcp is much greater than it is from a springer even thou they both producing the same fps

My tuned B20 springer let out a decent crack on it's preferred lightweight Falcon pellets and was used mainly for hunting, so I decided to fit a slip on silencer. This really did mute the report but left the gun overly long (6" longer) and needed the silencer removed to fit back in it's bag each day and had become rather awkward in hides etc. I had planned to carbine the barrel to 12" anyway so this was the incentive I needed and set about it. Job done and silencer fitted I was a little disappointed that the aditional noise from the shortened barrel needed the silencer fitted to equal about the same noise as the original unsilenced gun..!!