crows over pigeon decoys

kdubya

setting up my hide today, I took the oppertunity to hit a couple of crows,lots coming over me on a continous basis, however when my decoy pattern was set up

the crows kept wheeling hard about as if the decoys were spooking them? tried using the two crows, on cradles, on the outside of the pattern but same effect?

any advice on this?

There has been a few postings to do with this sort of thing lately. it seams that with crows your hide has to be a lot more camoflaged than with pigeons. if it stands out a bit or doesn't look quite right (to the crow) they won't come in.

try to get your hide back against the line of the trees or hedge, and use more branches around the edges to give a more natural look. :) :yp:

I have never had any success shooting crows over pigeon decoys, which doesn,t really suprise me.

Why would the crows come and land among the pigeons ?

You will see them on the same fields sometimes, but they are rarely close together (as in a decoy layout).

The practise of putting a crow decoy, or two, on the edge of a pigeon layout, "to give the pigeons confidence", also makes no sense to me.

How do the pigeons know that crows are wily, intelligent birds ?

In my experience , if you want to shoot crows, set up for them.

If there are enough birds using the field then its not impossible to have a good bag on both. We've had 150+ pigeons and 80+ crows form the same hide in one day. It tends to work best if you can set up a bail hide in the field and set out one spread for the crows and on the other side set up your pigeon spread.

Regards Mark.

:yp: a great tip to stop having to shoot over long distance is to Sneak up behind a nice juicy pigeon or mallard with your dogs mouth taped shut so he dosent cough or something and then BLOW the blighter out of this earth...

That way its fun but you get your man.

Hope this helps, MattNEd

:P a great tip to stop having to shoot over long distance is to Sneak up behind a nice juicy pigeon or mallard with your dogs mouth taped shut so he dosent cough or something and then BLOW the blighter out of this earth...

That way its fun but you get your man.

Hope this helps, MattNEd

Now why didn't I think of that :yp: :):D:lol::P

Mattned i dont know if you are for real. But if you are dont class yourself as a sportsman because there is more to it than" BLOWING THE BLIGHTER OUT OF THIS EARTH". Every one could do that but a sportsman does not want to, and on this site we promote sportsmanship above all else.

thanks for the advice (er particularly the helpfull carpet edd)

think I may give it a go targeting crows specifically! from time to time, seeing as one of the fields I shoot now resembles a black thousand bomber raid? on a daily basis,what would be the min set up for crow decoys? er I dont want dead uns in the freezer, wifes not that fussed on the pigeons!! so artificials will be needed

thanks Kdubya

Its relatively hard to decoy them with a pattern because they will have 90% of their attention on the location and unless your hide is perfect they'll spot you. Your best off using a stuffed fox(don't laugh!) or a owl decoy preferably with some movement ie the wings.

You actually don't need an owl decoy as I found out, you just need something with those huge eyes, ie a large teddy bear would do it. For some reason when they attack these predators they seem to lose all signs of caution, I had one which I missed which came back, I didn't make the same mistake twice though :yp:

I suppose I'm allowed to sort of mention our gear now, so...

We use, all the time, our 'Crow Pro Pack' and have had incredible success with it.

So much so, that I can confidently say that if there are crows in the area, and you are well hidden, you WON'T fail with this kit. Or send it back for a full refund. :)

Thats a bold, and some would say daft statement to make, but I stand by it, and await comments to the contrary! :yp:

Click the banner ad, and go into the 'vermin control' section for details.

Cheers,

Deako. :D

I've had some large bags on crows targeting just crows. I usually put six decoys out until I've shot a few them replace the decoys for dead birds. I've yet to see a decoy that works as well as the real thing. I just keep putting the shot birds out till I have a spread of 60+, the more the merrier. With a large spread out the birds come in a lot more confidently.

If im shooting over silage or blown barley I sometimes use a magnet with a couple of crows on, this can work wonders on the right day.

I have 2 methods for shooting crows. The first is to put a crow on one arm of a pigeon magnet and a Magpie. We all know Crows like to mob somthing every once in a while!!! :D

Number 2 is if you have acess to shooting a hare somtime, use its bright red rib cage and guts and fur to attract them. Also use a decoy to give them some confidence. :yp: :)