Browning maxus jamming.

Munchie

Took my brand new maxus onto the skeet range Sunday. Shooting Express Pro Comp 28g size 71/2.

First round functioned perfectly. Second round jammed after first shot, jammed a further 4 times.

Third round jammed again after first shot, jammed a further 7 times.

Cartridge is not feeding properly from magazine tube, becomes lodged between the face off the bolt and the ejection port.

Changed over cartridges to 32g size 6 and the gun functioned perfectly.

I am hoping this is down to the cartridges I used.

Anyone experienced similar problems with their Maxus.

Took my brand new maxus onto the skeet range Sunday. Shooting Express Pro Comp 28g size 71/2.

First round functioned perfectly. Second round jammed after first shot, jammed a further 4 times.

Third round jammed again after first shot, jammed a further 7 times.

Cartridge is not feeding properly from magazine tube, becomes lodged between the face off the bolt and the ejection port.

Changed over cartridges to 32g size 6 and the gun functioned perfectly.

I am hoping this is down to the cartridges I used.

Anyone experienced similar problems with their Maxus.

Not a maxus , but I bought a Beretta outlander a few weeks ago and had a huge bright yellow sticker on the case telling you to use 32g shells for the first 100 or so shoots to break the gun in

Does Browning mention any thing similar regarding the new gun ? :) sounds similar as its recycling 32g 6

You need shells that are 70mm long. Mine will cycle 21g 70mm shells happily. It's the case length that's the issue and not the shot weight.

Or it needs a clean

+1

I had real problems shooting 65mm Comp X through mine. It would cycle 70mm fine (and most 67mm to be honest). The manual recommends 70mm too...

My Remington will not entertain a 65mm shell it won't cycle at all and is hit and miss with 67mm,

But it will cycle any 70mm shell 21-38g no problems I haven't tried any bigger loads but can't see there would be a problem if I did :) ...unbelievable the difference 3mm makes I didn't believe it but at least 500 in the last couple of months and not 1 jam..

If you watch the yanks with the semi autos on you tube they don't believe in anything smaller than 70mm...

Edited by delburt0

Cheers.

I was advised to fire 32g 6 by the dealer but when I got it to the range guys there told me that was nonsense and it should fire all loads with no problem. Got a feeling I should have listened to the dealer. Going to range after work for evening session on skeet with a shooting mate, I'll ask him to shoot my gun and we'lll put 100 32g 6 through it. As I said no problems with them ( touch wood) finish off by putting half a box of 28g through. They have been jamming second shot on station 1, see what happens?

Thanks for advice

The lightest load i've used in mine is 28g and never less than 70mm, its been faultless, be it plastic or fibre wad. Just out of curiosity, how clean is it? Mine is cleaned spotlessly and oiled after use.

Edit. What version is it? i have the 3 1/2" chamber.

Edited by Churchill

Tim Kelly

Yep, 70mm, all of them.

She fired great on the 32g 6s. Great on the Eley Olympics, 71/2 but would not cycle the Eley match pros 71/2 with same weight, same length. All the same.

Should that happen, or as I am hoping, it's the cartridges.

No, that shouldn't happen. Must be something about those particular cartridges it doesn't like. I've never had a problem cycling anything in a 70mm case, but have never even heard of Eley match pros.

Now put 5 different brands of 28g cartridges through gun and it is functioning perfectly, though the Eley Pro Comps still jam.

I suppose it could be Something about that particular batch the gun did not like, won't be using them again.

Starting to really like the gun.

• 2 weeks later...

Fired Eley Olympics 28g 71/2 through it at chalk farm on Saturday, jammed straight away. Put 600 cartridges through it now and had more than 40 stoppages, all on Eley cartridges. The guys at Avalon say it should cycle 70mm carts easily. They are sending it back Browning for repair, "repair" I have only had it for three weeks! There must be a fault with it.

• 4 weeks later...

Well it has just come back from browning. Took it to clay round to shoot skeet, first round fired lovely. Next to rounds jammed 20 times this time a different stoppage, cartridges not feeding into breach, jamming between bolt and loading gate, on two occasions the cartridges were jammed between the bolt and loading gate. What annoys me is surely browning must have test fired it before sending it back!!!!

Sending it back to Avolon, who I will say have been great at dealing with this, asking for it to be replaced. Going to try the Benelli premium plus, I want an auto for pigeon shooting, anyone using that gun.