rabbits

snow white

Have you walked round and had a good look at your ground in daylight? Check the hole entrances for activity, look for fresh scratchings and freshly used latrines. Look at the droppings. If they're dark and shiny they're very recent which will indicate when they've been around. If the holes all appear in use and there is plenty of other activity you're just getting your timing wrong. If the hole entrances look lightly used and there is little other sign or it's over a reduced area they're either sitting out poor weather or they may have been hit by disease. If there is no sign of life at all they may have migrated to find better conditions. Mine do this sometimes, even in summer if its very wet. I've got a thousand acre wood on the boundry and if the open ground gets water-logged they've been known to vanish into the wood, I assume looking for drier ground. If this has happened keep your eyes open because they can reappear suddenly mob handed if conditions change, especially on autumn sown ground when the frosts have knocked back natural forage elsewhere

Mine have all fallen prey to a Buzzard who sits waiting for them on a nearby straw stack.

Which means I don't have to go out in this lousy weather to keep their numbers down!

I watched it take the young ones with no difficulty but it waits until the adults are well clear of any cover before making a move on them.

It's such an impressive sight it's giving me ideas about taking up falconry!

snow white

Posted Yesterday, 02:16 PM

can any body please tell me what happens to rabbits this time of year no wish cracks please there were loads on my permissions a few weeks ago we have not shot them all but only a few about last couple of times out.

Are you new to this?

Did you not see something similar last year and the year before etc?

Like a lot of wildlife, rabbits stock up with food in the summer/autumn and end up with a fat layer commonly around their saddle, this helps them through the winter months where they are generally less active due to the weather and lack of food! :good:

Edited by Dekers