thousand's of pigeons hit devon

bevs

i was out walking the cocker this morning and i was greeted with a sight of a life time,thousand's and thousand's of pigeons flighting over head going south.

This stream of pigeons where going over me from 8 oclock to 930.I hope sum of these pigeons will stay around for the winter as i have not had a very good summer on the pigeons.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Goober reported many thousands of pigeons leaving the South Wales coast last week and we wondered just when they would be seen again. This post may answer the question. I think the figure was 16000 in one day. Bevs, I hope that you are able to take advantage of this migrant harvest. Let us know in the next few weeks.

i was out walking the cocker this morning and i was greeted with a sight of a life time,thousand's and thousand's of pigeons flighting over head going south.

This stream of pigeons where going over me from 8 oclock to 930.I hope sum of these pigeons will stay around for the winter as i have not had a very good summer on the pigeons.

just put a flashing neon sign up saying " this way to norfolk" !.......have to check in the book to see what a pigeon looks like !

Just had a call off a mate who saw thousands flying through today.i was out having few beers last night and had lay in with bad head-gutted!

Should see numbers posted on local bird forum later,I'll let you know later hopefully.

Don't think birds will hang around much longer now,getting late if passed years are to go by.good to know they've been seen south.

156,350 woodpigeon SW and W between 07:00 and 11:00. Passage visible over 20-25km wide front stretching from Pontypool to at least the middle of the estuary. Approx 60% of birds over the sea / coastal plane; the rest over the hills. Flight heingt from 100-2,000m +. A tad spectacular at times.

Thousands on one of my farms, dont want to know the decoys much tho, two outings now doubt they be there for long tho

this is around hereford way,

just been out for a walk with dog and about 300 plus just flew over me and im near caerphilly south wales,

there is going to be a hell of a lot of birds some where thats for sure,

Edited by whitey10765666

I used to live in France and I can tell you exactly where those huge flocks are heading .all the way down through France and across the French Pyrenees and on into Spain .some will stay around in the south of France though.this happens every year

That is quite likely though there are some on PW who do not belive in the migration at all. In my uneducated and ill-informed view not very many of those 156000 will stay in Devon but will cross into France and behave as you suggest.

That is quite likely though there are some on PW who do not belive in the migration at all. In my uneducated and ill-informed view not very many of those 156000 will stay in Devon but will cross into France and behave as you suggest.

this is the norm wer i shoot this time of the year her for 3 or 4 weeks then gone again.

Better grab my gun and decoys then Bevs ;)

Grab the gun but don't bother with the decoys :yes: I'm fairly convinced that local birds and these migratory birds are worlds apart. I have never understood why pigeons in winter flock up and behave so differently to the summer birds until recently. I have an idea that a percentage of these travellers will miss the migration that's going on at the moment and stay behind. Racing pigeons will throw the towel in sometimes :lol: I'm pretty sure these are the birds that ram raid the rape fields. They are largely un decoyable, incredibly nervous and just seem to fly as one. Quite unlike the birds we are used to in the summer which I believe are our "resident" population. Last weekend. I saw one of these groups around 100 strong, on a field of volunteer rape. They had nothing to do with the local birds that were flicking around the woods for acorns etc. Really weird to see.

So my view would be, grab the gun, some decent carts, ight chokes and try and flight some while you can :yes::good: