Wandering Pheasants

squiffy58

Hi all

We had a shoot yesterday, and managed to bag 65, thats after only 10 from the previous saturday, dont know if its going to be up and down like this. We had more beaters which certainly helped.

Thanks to those of you that replied its nice to know that its a country wide problem, and not just me.

Keep feeding, they will come back to it if the weather hardens up although we do have a bumper year for natural food, at least around here. Good idea to scatter some feed on straw rides to give them something to scratch about at.

Pity the chestnuts got blown off the trees so early as it looks as though they were forming up nicely until we had the gales. Plenty of acorns around, luckily one of the shoots has plenty of oaks within the boundaries so that might help to keep them local.

• 2 months later...
Guest rimotu66

I said on a previous post that we hadn't faired to badly, how wrong I was, not only have we got under weight birds (not all but enough) we also seem to have 'lost' the majority. Its our walk around on Saturday so hopefully we can add to the % shot over the season, last shoot I only had 5 shots all day, I still enjoyed been out though as for me anyway its the day and the banter I enjoy the most, if I get a few shots off and even manage to hit a few then I am a happy chappy :good:

Strangely though, the birds that have got up are the best flying birds I have ever seen on our shoot ???

STOP releasing blueback crosses, jap greens and the black ones. I hear that Kansas pheasants also walk they they want to go back to the USA>

If you want birds that dont wander far given a nice warm wood and plenty of good food then release Old English Blacknecks. Not quite the flying performance of Bluebacks but given some half decent hills hills they can be testing.

Losses, most go to foxes, wandering is second, road deaths third, disease fourth, usually. Gapes in Sept after the birds are out and about is almost untreatable.

All shoots should now be having work sessions creating a nice warm bottom in holding woods. Laying laurels will keep me occupied for several days.

A

Guest rimotu66

Losses, most go to foxes, wandering is second, road deaths third, disease fourth, usually. Gapes in Sept after the birds are out and about is almost untreatable.

I would normally agree with you but, on our shoot foxes are well controlled, we are not close to public roads and we had no desease.

Also, we have never had this problem on this scale before even with much harsher winters, this year has been very mild in comparison and the birds hardly touched the feeders, either pellets or corn.

I would normally agree with you but, on our shoot foxes are well controlled, we are not close to public roads and we had no desease.

Also, we have never had this problem on this scale before even with much harsher winters, this year has been very mild in comparison and the birds hardly touched the feeders, either pellets or corn.

The biggest problem a lot of people have had with the good summer and mild winter is that there is so much wild food (acorns, mast etc) the birds don't need to go to the feeders and tend to fill up quickly with wild pickings and wander off. When there isn't as much wild feeding available they come off the roost and head straight to the feeders and rides whereas this year it doesn't matter where they have roosted there is usually a good feed when they come down. It takes them a while to scratch around straw rides and feeders to get a full crop but three or four acorns takes them seconds to eat and fill there crops and then off they go. Each time they come off roost they could be getting further and further away from the shoot every day.

Sounds like poachers.

A