stag and hind

camokid

hi all

id like to start buy saying a big thanks to Andrew aka elk hunter from the trophy barn...

what a day i left there in such a high!!

Andrew is a smashing bloke i enjoyed his company and sheared his knowledge

after meeting and having a good chin wag about guns and the day ahead we started the ball rolling on the range now Andrew has spent the time to make up some giant deer targets and placed them out to 100 150 and 200 yards we had grate fun spending a small fortune of norma 270 rounds ..

after some time Andrew was happy with my shots and we proceeded to another part of the land to find where the deer where..

as soon as i spotted them i was amazed on the size and the beauty of them

we decided to take a stag first and made our way up the hill in this time the deer had other thoughts and made there way down the hill putting them in a very good shooting position.. it was perfect i was up high in the cover and they where below in the open a real nice shot..

we took our time selecting a suitable stag and watch him as he went about his business 10 minuets later the stag was becoming calmer and moving into a clear patch..

andrew said when he was free of other deer take the shot.

i got the cross hairs on him took a breath and the bark of the 270 rang out. he was hit hard and made a run of 30 yards and then expired ..

i could not believe i had just taken such an animal i was over the moon but poor andrew was a tad def he was a bit close to the un-modded 270 and must have felt the shock waves lol sorry mate..

our attentions now turned to a hind that had been acting a bit odd over the last few days and andrew wanted her culled..

we mover into a better shooting position and found the hind in question

once again i was given permission to take the shot .

i took a breath calmed myself and pulled the trigger.. she was hit and made a small run then collapsed but still alive we both agreed to a follow up shot that was taken in seconds and done the job.....

on approach to the fallen hind i could not get over the size of her she was a giant a massive heavy lump of venison. we gutted her there and then and went over the health sings ..

we had a mammoth job of lifting her on to the pickup and moved on toward the fallen stag

now i thought the hind was big ... i was in shock on the volume of the stag he made double off me it was a monster..

i was so chuffed that i had for filled one of my life's wishes not only a stag but his hind too..

andrew informed me that my shots where 197 to the stag and 210 to the hind so a fair distance to be shooting such a lump

after what seam a mega photo shoot we had the power lifting competition once again ..until you are there you just don't understand the size and weight of these animals its shocking...

after we had loaded the pair onto the truck it was back to the farm for the skinning and break down..this was pretty much done the same way i do the roe and munty just on a whopping scale..

it took a while to break them down and made a very nice change having andrew there tag teaming a giant deer it was a grate day that i will never forget and will always have fond memories......

also andrew gave me a doggy bag of bison meat... and i can honestly say that was the finest steak iv eaten i will be eyeing up one of them for next time lol

now for the pics thanks andrew for taking some crackers..

photo_1.jpg

thanks again

andy

Thank you Andy,

You were great company for the day and my god that was some sizeable beast you took, my back is still feeling it today. As for the 270 well any thing built of the 30-06 case I'm a fan of, awsome even the noise. Only down side they do make a mess.

Very happy you have a nice head and a place on the wall for it.

Andrew

Edited by Elk hunter

Thank you Andy,

You were great company for the day and my god that was some sizeable beast you took, my back is still feeling it today. As for the 270 well any thing built of the 30-06 case I'm a fan of, awsome even the noise. Only down side they do make a mess.

Very happy you have a nice head and a place on the wall for it.

Andrew

i will be sorting the head in the morning then its trying to get a shield big enough lol...thanks angain

They are big things Andy....and even bigger when you get right up close....

I did my one on the ground and was 111kg dressed!

Well done and smile a bit more next time lol

TEH

i dont do smiling i have hamster cheeks

:D there you go tim

Brilliant Andy!Im really chuffed for you mate as you told me last week you was after a nice Stag and you've got a nice one!!

Well Done my friend!!

Speak Soon bud!

thanks mark call you in the week mate...

Nice write up

Now as someone who doesn't shoot deer can you tell me what happens to the carcasses?

Do you get them as part of the fee you paid?

Estate gets them?

Or do you get the chance to buy them?

Cheers

:shaun:

My client retains the carcass.

After Andy and had skinned the carcass it is broken into its primary cuts.

Legs, shoulders, loins and trim.

From there i butchered it all on Friday.

Legs became, joints and steaks.

Loins into thick steaks.

Every thing else went into diced and venison burgers.

All went out to two farmers markets on Saturday morning.

Now some may say the meat has not hung long. Correct but many of the clients customers buy the meat because of this reason as they wish the to eat the game without it being overly strong.

As for Andy I sent him home with some bison as he eats plenty of venison already.

Edited by Elk hunter

My client retains the carcass.

After Andy and had skinned the carcass it is broken into its primary cuts.

Legs, shoulders, loins and trim.

From there i butchered it all on Friday.

Legs became, joints and steaks.

Loins into thick steaks.

Every thing else went into diced and venison burgers.

All went out to two farmers markets on Saturday morning.

Now some may say the meat has not hung long. Correct but many of the clients customers buy the meat because of this reason as they wish the to eat the game without it being overly strong.

As for Andy I sent him home with some bison as he eats plenty of venison already.

Cheers for that :)

:shaun:

WOW!!!!!! What a cracking pair of beasts! :good::good::good:

You must be (Quite justifiably) over the moon Andy! :yes::yes::yes:

Top marks mate! :good:

yes pete to say the least !!

Nice one Andy :good: Yep it has to be seen to be believed the weight in these huge beasts ....................try dragging one off the hill :yes:

i just cant see how you would ever get one off a hill with out a quad or horse...

Another 1 to cross off the list Andy,well done chubby cheeks :lol::good:

if i shoot more of them heavy things i just might burn my chubby cheeks off..but you will always how old skin my friend... :/:lol:

Did you get to keep the stag head andy

yes i did i spent the weekend sorting it out il post pics later of the finished skull it looks grate on the wall....