Feeding your boundarys

Hi all

I am the shoot captain / keeper on a syndicate shoot, that puts down over 2000 poults.

I am not new to shooting , but this is only my second year in charge. I have an issue with some members (older), who say that I should feed the boundarys, but I completely disagree with feeding the birds out and away, I have a couple of mentors, who are very successful keepers, and one used to run the same ground, who agree with me. I returned 40% in the first season, so its not all bad, but I would be intersted in what some of you thought.

Ur spot on stick to ur guns, if ur feeding them where ur wanting them and there staying there, and esp so if that's wot the previous keepers done on ur ground and it worked well.

Possibly if ur birds begin to move as season goes on, but it is a gamble yes u may stop ur birds wandering off ur ground but it may attract more off ur birds out there. Depends if u can drive ur boundries

I took over a shoot this year, the previous keeper feed where the birds went.

I ask the advice of experienced keepers who I know and they told me to feed where i

wanted the birds, so i did.

The results are last years first day bag, 9 this year 52

last year second day bag, 22 this yeat 48

third day bag, 32 this year 42

Total bag last year from 10 days shooting 180ish

This year bag from 3 shoots 142

Feed where you want the birds

Dave

Fresh water seems to make a difference as well. We had plenty of water filled ruts and puddles plus some drinkers with stale dirty water in them . Two of the drinkers I refilled with the last of the clean water from the bowser. Both were empty within two days. It really did seem that the pheasants preferred the clean water.

Birds will move back from the boundaries to your feeders.

I have watched birds on our shoot go on a route march to the feeders at the same time each day. You could set your watch by them.

Knowing where your birds are going to be at any given time is the key to knowing which drives to do at what time.

Spend some time observing your birds habits and you will learn a lot!

We always dog the boundary's in the mornings, pushing the birds back in to the centre of the shoot, and watch the boundary's in the afternoon. if you see birds walking back in from over the boundrys towards the centre to go to roost, you need to get up earlier in the mornings as they will be walking off your ground at first light, just using you for your safe roosting woods !

• 1 month later...

Dogging in at a specific time when birds are straying can be difficult for a part time keeper. I agree about not feeding boundaries.

Blackpowder

True,it is for a part time keeper but it is essential for a full time keeper. For the part timers it is often helpful if you are able to get some of your beaters to walk the boundaries as extra dog training etc, some will jump at the chance to give there dogs a bit of pre season training. It would also benefit the syndicate members if they could chip in with some of the dogging in if they have some spare time.