Face keeps getting a slap

JDsniper

HI

can any body help me out i have go a new gun now for about 2 mounths, every few shots i am getting a smak in the face. I am mounting it the same as the gun i was shooting with before hand. I was hitting 50/75 then and now i am only hitting 35/75.

can anybody help.

It COULD also be the stock is too short in length and it's you THUMB smacking you rather than the stock?

Gun fit is very important and luckily MOST of us can get away with a standard cast stock but there are 2 possibilities here.

1 you need a custom stock cast for you

2 the gun you bought (if second hand) was cast for someone else is wrong handed or as said too short in length.

It could be you just have a bit of a bad habit bringing your cheek off the stock allowing it to move and hit your face!

LG

a simple test would be to run at a pattern plate, 1st shot to be taken with the gun slotted comfortably in your shoulder, take aim at a marked point on the board and shoot, the second shot should be taken off the shoulder, look at the point of aim, and in one smooth swift move shoulder and shoot as you would in the filed, see if the gun smacks you that time, take a look at where the gun fits and you can see where adjustment needs to be made.

hope this helps.

Martin

I don't want to hijack this thread or start a major row but I've been talking to a few people about gun fit over the last week and I got onto the subject of how much rib you should see - I was told to put a pound coin on the back of the rib and you should just be able to see the bead over it. I'd like to know which is right.

I don't want to hijack this thread or start a major row but I've been talking to a few people about gun fit over the last week and I got onto the subject of how much rib you should see - I was told to put a pound coin on the back of the rib and you should just be able to see the bead over it. I'd like to know which is right.

Sounds about right to me.

I had the same problem with a gun I got a few years ago bruised cheek every time I went shooting. Before you try anything it would be worth your while talking to a good gunsmith he should be able to tell you whats wrong. I had to have the stock recast and the comb raised, but I still wasn't happy with it. In the end I traded it in and got a semi automatic. I think I'm just one of those people who can't shoot with an over and under. It'll probably cost you around 100 quid to have it recast if it works it'll be worth it, other wise trade the gun in and get one that fits you.