One for the HGV boys

keg

Running trucks night time only would never work! Go to a big supermarket RDC! And see how many trucks go in a day! And how much stock they need a day to keep going!! You would not be able to feed them in night time only working!!

P

It's as stupid as the **** who said every thing should be deliverd to a magor RDC on the outskirts of the m25 and all trucks would be banned from inside the m25 just vans and 7.5t would then ship the goods inside!! .

Also! A lot of stores have curfews, to keep the noise down for local residents!

The store I am a warehouse man in has 17 wagons a day turning up.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I live near Dover, and I don't think a week goes by without someone being hit by a foreign lorry. I was hit the other week with the wife, 8yr old, and newborn in the car. Shortly before me a woman was hit and her car crushed against the central barrier. Needed to be cut out but escaped with cuts and bruises. Police didn't take any action against the truck driver because he was foreign. They actually said, 'because she was in his blind spot'!!!!! Must remember that one if I ever crash!!!

I think if we did as other countries did to us, and imposed road side fines or the truck is impounded, then foreign companies would stop using unqualified/uninsured drivers. Also the drivers would take more care. They know a bump with a car won't hurt the lorry and that it's almost impossible for us to chase their foreign companies for a payout, and drive as such.

Any trucker who deems it necessary to hold up miles of traffic to gain a few minutes or a few mpg deserves to be pulled in front of and slowed right down.

It's also a pain when they pull into a lay by and totally block it off so no other drivers can use the layby.

Edited by southeastpete

I live near Dover, and I don't think a week goes by without someone being hit by a foreign lorry. I was hit the other week with the wife, 8yr old, and newborn in the car. Shortly before me a woman was hit and her car crushed against the central barrier. Needed to be cut out but escaped with cuts and bruises. Police didn't take any action against the truck driver because he was foreign. They actually said, 'because she was in his blind spot'!!!!! Must remember that one if I ever crash!!!

I think if we did as other countries did to us, and imposed road side fines or the truck is impounded, then foreign companies would stop using unqualified/uninsured drivers. Also the drivers would take more care. They know a bump with a car won't hurt the lorry and that it's almost impossible for us to chase their foreign companies for a payout, and drive as such.

Any trucker who deems it necessary to hold up miles of traffic to gain a few minutes or a few mpg deserves to be pulled in front of and slowed right down.

It's also a pain when they pull into a lay by and totally block it off so no other drivers can use the layby.

Wow that sounds really level headed ........ Not

And as for blind spots yes, for a left hooker it must be a nightmare, car drivers not being considerate and squeezing past thinking they have the right "cos the truck wouldn't dare squash us " not realising the trucker has already checked his multiple mirrors and given the ample space committed to a maneuver, most car drivers take no notice of the indicators and fail to read the situation.

god only knows what would happen if the trucks were banned from day time use, they currently act as a buffering agent, mobile traffic calming if you like

So having a blind spot means you can just meander across lanes willy nilly? No, most truckers seem able to negotiate that roundabout without crushing cars against the central reservation, saying within their own lane. The under qualified, perhaps in licensed foreign driver however feel the need to pull across. And they surely know there is a car next to them as they will have used their mirrors and watched cars enter their blind spot and not come out yet. Yea right. They were rushing to catch a ferry, watching a DVD, and balancing a plate of dinner on their lap which they were eating with a knife and fork. Probably just chucked a bottle is **** out the window too.

I have to smile when people complain about generalisations about truck drivers then do the same about car drivers of a certain German make....

Paul, agree with you about car drivers not noticing indicating trucks. I watched a car only this week sitting in lane 2 with an empty lane 3 for about 3 miles .

However....... I have also seen trucks flash their indicators once then start to move or move and indicate at the same time not realising there is a reason why I can't go straight into lane 3.

I will flash trucks out when I can and in.

Good and bad in all.

god only knows what would happen if the trucks were banned from day time use, they currently act as a buffering agent, mobile traffic calming if you like

self imposed road police yep that equates to Im bigger than you and as I am bored witless I will have some sport.

KW

Edited by kdubya

As part of my job I have to do a fair bit of driving in which I do this in a van restricted to 68mph, I can't tell you how annoying it is when car drivers make it difficult for you to pull out and then when you do they sit up your **** and get annoyed waving there arms.

So I can see this from both sides it's not nice been held up while i crawl past a vehicle doing 65 but why should I sit behind them as I have a set number of jobs to get to each day, on the other hand I see it far too much when lorries pull out and 2 miles later have to drop back in behind what they have been trying to overtake. Oh and there are far too many lory drivers who mess about with all sorts of devices while driving but they are mainly the foreign ones!!

kdubya you sound like a right **** with your views I drive hgv all over England and the cont there might be a few bad drivers but most a good just like you car drivers , pulling in front of us coming to round abouts take how brakeing space you should try it sometime

kdubya you sound like a right **** with your views I drive hgv all over England and the cont there might be a few bad drivers but most a good just like you car drivers , pulling in front of us coming to round abouts take how brakeing space you should try it sometime

not allowed opinions are we? opinions based on seeing the antics of tossers behind the wheel of a lorry? perhaps if you sat behind an hgv on a motorway for a bit and watched the driver being seemingly unable to keep the truck in a straight line? weaving from lane 1 to 2 or onto the hard shoulder, or go on the A66 for instance when you are sat behind a convoy of lorries and a passing place comes up and yep guess what Mr 1/2 a mile an hour faster steps out and kills it for every one, and only to see him pull back in without making it when it goes back to single lane. lorries should only be allowed either in the inside lane or to drive at night, on the continent they are starting to only allow lorries to deliver to distribution points outside the cities overnight and then bring the goods in with smaller electric vehicles (good news for cyclists that) hopefully we will start that here.and yes I can be a right **** to those who deserve it.

KW

Sums it up really, most car drivers are in a rush and because of this they tend to drive into your blind spots, travel to close, cut in front taking your braking space, think they own the road and that it is their duty to travel at or above the speed limit, do not have time to give consideration or space to large vehicles for making manoeuvres