.22 Bolt Action Upkeep and Cleaning etc

b16jus

if its been used in the dry and not fired a major amount of ammo I just remove the moderator and put it away in the safe once its come to room temp and had a wipe over to remove condensation. Used in the wet it gets cleaned, bolt gets a smidge of a fairly thick oil at same time (never grease rimfires are too dirty and grease will hold unburned powder etc. and form a horrible hard to remove gunk). The other time I clean is prior to a decent practice session or whenever its done 2-300 rounds and its always back to bear metal (no half measures). You will find accuracy is acceptable if you have cleaned to bear metal but pretty pants if its a half hearted job on the clean, either way mine needs somewhere around a box to pop back into split perfect zero, this is why I clean before the practice session (I have time to bring it spot on).

Many never clean and say accuracy is not effected, this depends on the weakest link of course and that might not be barrel condition. Using high quality ammo and shooting at paper out to 100 yds and further barrel condition really shows, 50 yds and unless your looking for screamers its far less evident indeed if you consider 1/2" at 50 from the bench the final goal for 5 shots you will likely fail to notice much until crud in the action and bolt face etc starts to turn things to rat poop!

There must be 100 threads covering this if you search BTW