2 off Maize Stubble

Dougy

2 off maize stubble last night,2nd visit after going out Tuesday night, seeing one come in behind but being spooked, due to noisy me and a lamp :yes::yes: was cream crackerd though so put it down to being too tired.

1st one was a Dog, top in the picture, this came onto a call placed about 8ft in the air up on a platform, it didnt know where to go really, it ran forward then back,then forward again looking for the location of the call. It had found it, the 53grn vmax that is, it ran straight into it. Job done on that one.

Now before that i had seen a pair of eyes,in the top corner of the field slightly behind me and to my left, this one i thought was the one i had just shot, but i thought it was a fair way travel in the short time, possible but i'll have a look anyway and check. They do seem to hang around sometimes after a shot has gone off and show themselves, this may be one of the times.

It was 10-15 minutes later a pair of eyes appeared, but just the eyes, no positive ID, it could have been a Badger as they are seen in that spot regular,or even a cat, but more likely to be a Fox as i had seen it so shortly before, eyes appeared again this time i had a positive ID as it walked allong the hedge and dissapeared over a brow in the field, only to return a few yards away and sat. It seemed to be looking over to the call but showing caution, its eyes were caught positively in the scope, but how far, and not a safe shot due to its head having nothing behind it as a back stop. I changed to call, well added another one to it by mistake, it sound like a goose being throttled by a distressed rabbit, but it seemed to have a funny affect on the Fox, it wanted to find out what this strange creature was, i could not contain its caution any longer. After what seemed hours (probably 30 minutes) it showed itself a front on shot with the field behind it as a good solid back stop, good enough for me. Another one,this time a Vixen, very possibly paired up as she wouldnt leave the area. 2 for the night, happy farmer and happy me.

post-2987-0-58947600-1385284750_thumb.jpg

Thanks chaps,

I went out last night because I heard ducks and geese making a racket Saturday night, but no sign of fox, maybe they just had a noisy moment.

Thats me done now until I return from Croatia. No doubt there will be a few photo's of wild Boar appearing here next week if we're lucky,

And hopefully some video footage.

Dougy, just got back, you will have to be very lucky. The weather is so warm the boar are spread all over the place but not where we wanted them.

It seems Frank told us all to bring Teabags and we ended up with four of us bringing boxes of them !!

We had two days in the mountains and one day on the farm and ended up with a total of 6 pigs for the three days !!!

Dougy, just got back, you will have to be very lucky. The weather is so warm the boar are spread all over the place but not where we wanted them.

It seems Frank told us all to bring Teabags and we ended up with four of us bringing boxes of them !!

We had two days in the mountains and one day on the farm and ended up with a total of 6 pigs for the three days !!!

Oh!

We'll see how it goes then Edd, at least we wont need to take t bags. Just dome pigs, I've got one I'll take. Do that's my one sorted.

Good shooting mate, 2 biguns' there. If you're ever struggling and in need of someone to come and hold the lamp then drop me a message :good:

Will keep you in mind Sam

Dougy,

Regardless of the pig total, it was a good trip. The lady and Lordship behaved and only mentioned Africa once !

Although on one drive her Lady**** was down from me and spent all her time applying lip salve and looking in the other direction (from me ) while three reasnable sized pigs triotted across within twenty yards of her and later on, one single pig that was 'taller' than long so almost certainly a Boar, just walked across the track, again withing twenty yards of her but this time she was fiddling with her hands in her lap !!

On the return to UK his Lordship had the handle broken off of his gun case during transit, do you remember the big alluminium one that held two rifles, well it was that one, and he was absolutely up in arms at Heathrow.

Dougy,

Regardless of the pig total, it was a good trip. The lady and Lordship behaved and only mentioned Africa once !

Although on one drive her Lady**** was down from me and spent all her time applying lip salve and looking in the other direction (from me ) while three reasnable sized pigs triotted across within twenty yards of her and later on, one single pig that was 'taller' than long so almost certainly a Boar, just walked across the track, again withing twenty yards of her but this time she was fiddling with her hands in her lap !!

On the return to UK his Lordship had the handle broken off of his gun case during transit, do you remember the big alluminium one that held two rifles, well it was that one, and he was absolutely up in arms at Heathrow.

Shame,

so there could have been more shot then ??? As there last trip then, all the gear and no idea, its not like they stand there and wait around to be shot is it ??? Mind you that happened to me last year the biggest lump i have seen in the years ive been going, and this Boar came out 75yds to my left and all i could do was stare in amazement, it was huge. Did i moan ??? no! just been kicking myself ever since :lol:

I didn't mention it before because I am still getting over it !! but here goes.

I was stood on a narrow track with no view in front of me other than a wall of bushes and tall grass.

The pigs were not playing again (for us) they didn't want to move and fought the dogs until all the dogs piled in and then they finally decided to move.

Well this time the dogs were fighting a pig about twenty yards to my right and about five yards deep in the bushes and it went on for what seemed like ages but was probably only five minutes.

I stood with my rifle shouldered in the aim ready for the pig to break away when all of a sudden a dog yelped and the noise reached a crescendo so I was all keyed up when suddenly one of the biggest, blackest, ugliest boar broke cover beside me and ran under my rifle barrel straight into cover the other side of the track.

I could not reverse my rifle quick enough but fired in desperation/fright/shock anyway, then it was all over.

If it had broken cover any closer to me it would have ran over my boots !!

So , you nearly poood ya pants LOL LOL

The weekend is starting to sound good. You should have dived on it and killed it with your pen knife.

Edy I, m laughing my socks off, I've got the image in my head of you jumping out of your boots, I remember when those big Red stags ran past you a few year's back, I could hear you shout out couple of expletives. LOL