New Gun is L/H

Cookie69

I'm right handed but left eye dominant.

when I tried the gun in the shop it felt fine to me, knowing im left eye dominant I closed my left eye while sighting the gun.

I understand there are a couple of tricks to help me with this phenomenon, one being Vaseline on the left side of any glasses I might wear?

I have been to collect the gun today and I have got it home and on the box it says it is L/H? the guy in the shop never mentioned it while he was watching me mount it

and i wouldn't have known being new to it all.

my question is will this have a negative effect on my shooting? I sort of thought to myself that someone who had many years shooting experience may tell the difference but with me just starting will it be an issue? It didn't feel awkward .

Thanks

Paul.

I had the left eye take over a few years ago.... I just put a tiny bit of masking tape on the the left lense of my glasses that only obscured my view when mounting a gun. Soon had my right eye dialed back in! Vasaline! Gets everywhere and better used on sore never regions!

A friend of mine did ok with a L/H gun being shot R/Hed, He was tall and crowded many a shotgun, his head would roll over most stocks but a L/H stock meant he could not do it and so looked more down the center of the barrel/s.

HTH.

U.

Shoot left handed its what I do...... Search for "eye dominance" some big threads on it......

I don't know if I could do that, it would feel to unnatural .

I've fly fished for near 25yrs and can cast right handed over my left shoulder but ask me to cast left handed and I would end up in a right mess :yes:

I know one or two old boys who shoot with a gun cast one way or the other and shoot off the other hand. Talking to them they get very used to a gun that is "wrong" for them. What tends to happen is they adjust, sometimes this can take an age. The end result is they build a sight picture and shoot accordingly. Believe it or not some are fine shots. The downside is if they try a "fitted" gun they are hopeless and go back to their fathers gun or even their grandfathers gun.

If you're starting out get something that is right, this will give you a head start and save a lot of woe.

Edited by Whitebridges

It takes time and practise but doable I poo ppo'd myself until I did it.... What gun btw? Try looking at it with stock on the floor and look down at an angle along the underside of the barrels....

It's a 2009 Bettinsoli dimond X-Gr

ill have a look again in the morning in the kitchen with some natural light

thankyou all again

You will see it more if you look from the muzzle end with the gun upside down. Eg trigger guard facing the ceiling. (heel on floor as stated above).

If the gun is left hand cast the stock should be "bent" slightly to one side. If worst comes to worst, post a picture on here from the angle specified above and we shall tell you.

Cheers

You will see it more if you look from the muzzle end with the gun upside down. Eg trigger guard facing the ceiling. (heel on floor as stated above).

If the gun is left hand cast the stock should be "bent" slightly to one side. If worst comes to worst, post a picture on here from the angle specified above and we shall tell you.

Cheers

Good idea give me half hour

thanks

More to the point mount the gun few times with your eyes closed, raise and lower it with your face snugly on the stock in a comfortable position as you would in the field. open your eyes, which eye is over the rib? If it is not your Right eye (the one you choose to use by closing your left) you will always have to cant/tilt your head to get on line, if the gun is cast on you are really making things tricky at this early stage in your shooting career . Get some help at at shooting school, well worth it this early on ;-) Don't leave it years like I did.

atvb Paul.

DO NOT FEEL A PLANK!! we are all guessing here mate but trying to help and probably making things worse ! Where is your local shooting ground? Well worth at least one lesson to get things sorted ;-)

Thanks

I had a lesson last month with the instructors gun, that's how I found out I was left eye dominant.

one of the guys off the forum invited me to a clay shoot next Sunday.

Edited by Cookie69

Looks like its cast for the right hander to me. Perhaps the description on the box supplied with the gun was for another similar albeit LH model gun where the packaging boxes have been inadvertently transposed?? Does the serial no. on the box match that on the gun?

Steve

yes serial number on case is the same as on SGC

serial No ******

Type shotgun

Make Bettinsoli

modle Dimond

calibre 12 gauge

Mech over and under (L/H)

barrel 30"

weight 7lb

chokes multi multi