Winchester SX3 semi auto?

eredel

I've always fancied trying a semi auto so a couple of weeks or so ago I managed to pick up a nice tidy Beretta A302 multichoke with two chokes. I had 3 days holiday due to me so on Wednesday we took a trip to the local clay ground and put 200 plus cartridges through it with the 1/2 choke in.

It was one of the most enjoyable shooting days I've ever had and my scores were much better than with an O/U so I'm afraid my Browning B425 Trap is on its way out to make way for another semi.

I've always liked the look of the SX3 since looking around at semis and have seen one or two nice second hand examples about so would value opinions on this gun bearing in mind that for just a little more money I can also get a nice Beretta 391.......decisions, decisions!!

All opinions appreciated.

Eric.

Brilliant gun IMHO I've shot one fir last couple of years for clays and game but now I've a maxus which I get on with better as it shoots flat for me now my dads got the sx3 and ice gut the maxus in carbon fibre both gun are 3 and half inch and shoot almost faultlessly asking as they are cleaned every few hundred carts

Sx3

From my own experience the winchester and beretta autos fit very differently .

Not a huge problem as they can be adjusted to a certain extent but if you shoot well with the beretta you may struggle with the winchester straight out of the box .

The 391 is a cracking gun , I only got rid of mine as I wanted a 3 1/2 " gun

I am sure both would serve you well so really comes down to which feels the best.

Used the SX3 quite a bit. Very good gun. I've got the maxus and thought a lot about changing it for the Winchester but it doesn't have the speed unloading,(I like it for switching between duck and geese shells whilst I'm out).

ps I thought the maxus carbon fibre was only 3"? They're nice guns.

ps only reason I'd change maxus to sx3 was because they're similar fit but the Winchester has a better weight to it.

Can't fault my sx3, it's a cracking gun which fits and shoots

Well. I'd definately recommend it! I also think it's one of the best looking autos out, but that doesn't Count for **** if you cant hit anything with it. I'd try one out at a clay club see what you think, but as mentioned you can adjust them to make it fit better.

Many thanks for the replies people....much appreciated!!

Had a look at a nice SX3 today which has only had about 200 cartridges through it so is virtually as new...4 chokes, paperwork, all the spacers and it's 3 1/2 inch chambered so I assume it would be ok for steel...yes?

Nice and light so would be great for my grandson to try as he's always hinting he would like to come clay shooting with me... will the 3 1/2 cycle 24 grm carts?

Will think about it over the weekend whilst I get my Browning up for sale and try to scrape the money together...lol!

Thanks again for the feedback people.

Eric.

Great auto the best gun I've had so far, I have never found fault with my sx3 the wife uses it too with no problems using light loads, only time mines jammed is when it was gummed up with crud due to lack of cleaning, I used it every day as a working gun when I was keepering and it never let me down and I really did abuse it couldn't recommend it highly enough but it's all down to personal preference at the end of the day if u can get one for a shot of you might love it you might hate it, also for steel shot I'm 99%sure they are without checking I can't say for sure but I'm almost certain mine is stamped for steel shot...... If not nothing has gone wrong so far with the dozen or so steelies I've fired through it

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd just update this.......handled an SX3 but wasn't sure it felt right.

Visited my local gunsmith last Saturday and he had a lovely Beretta AL390 Golden Mallard with silver action for sale, I picked it up and it came to the shoulder as if it was made for me!!......it will hopefully be safely locked in my cabinet by this Saturday evening.

Funny how you set your mind on getting a certain gun and then a visit to the gunshop and it all goes out of the window.

Eric.