Muck Boots - required for shooting?

browning123

I want to purchase a pair of Neoprene Muck Boots to use on my shooting days, Can any member please recommend a pair as there are so many different types in the market. A pair with good ankle support would be ideal - due to me breaking my left ankle two years ago on a shoot day!

Edited by browning123

I've had the Spey ones for 4 year now like slippers they are! Only 1 thing thay come away on the inner side of the right boot somehow, think it was on the seam. But I had them couple year before that happened so can't complain. I've just bought some hunter balmoral neo to try this time.

Another vote for Tay Sport. The sports have the heavy duty soles. Grippy, warm and comfortable and hard wearing. As above, if you're that worried about the ankle wear lace-ups or strap it up before hand.

Personally I don't care for leather lace ups on pheasent days. Can't be bothered with all the cleaning and drying. Or gaiters. And I've yet to find a pair warmer than Muck boots.

Another vote for Tay Sport. The sports have the heavy duty soles. Grippy, warm and comfortable and hard wearing. As above, if you're that worried about the ankle wear lace-ups or strap it up before hand.

Personally I don't care for leather lace ups on pheasent days. Can't be bothered with all the cleaning and drying. Or gaiters. And I've yet to find a pair warmer than Muck boots.

Good advice - thanks!

I WAS a fan of muck boots and had the last ones for more years than I can remember.

I bought a pair of Tay (I think) from the website like Gardening4less. They are superbly warm - excellent for winter but way too hot for summer.

My problem is (and I did not have it on the first pair) that my trousers lift up over the top and fall outside the wellies. I did a post on here a month or 2 back and got abuse.

I think the problem arises as the top edge of the new boots rolls in slightly the original ones was straight leg. so now I need to add a underfoot strap to my trousers to hold them down.

I still am a muck boot fan but would love to solve the trouser lifting problem.

I WAS a fan of muck boots and had the last ones for more years than I can remember.

I bought a pair of Tay (I think) from the website like Gardening4less. They are superbly warm - excellent for winter but way too hot for summer.

My problem is (and I did not have it on the first pair) that my trousers lift up over the top and fall outside the wellies. I did a post on here a month or 2 back and got abuse.

I think the problem arises as the top edge of the new boots rolls in slightly the original ones was straight leg. so now I need to add a underfoot strap to my trousers to hold them down.

I still am a muck boot fan but would love to solve the trouser lifting problem.

I heard that the Tay was lethal on wet grass & concrete - did you have this problem?

I don't find my Tay Sports slippery except on green slimey wood or stone, but most footwear will struggle with that. The thick soles on the sport may be softer and grippier. I don't have the trouser leg problem. When I'm wearing cammo trousers over an ordinary pair the cammos do twist round slightly but its not enough to be annoying. I reckon if trousers are riding up the boots are too tight around the calf and as you walk they pull the trouser out a little with each step. Try before you buy. Avoid if they're too snug.

I have Esk, I think, as everyone has said they are very comfortable and very warm but mine have worn out on the inside heel seam area. They are slippery if you compare them to walking boots with Vibram soles but they are no more slippery than any other welly as far as I can tell. There are better boots out there (Aigle Parcours ISO) but they are twice the price.

I bought a pair of Muckmasters a week or so ago from easy-wellies.co.uk‏. Their service was truly excellent and at 80 quid postage free they are reasonably priced.

Have spent three full days in them and am very impressed with comfort and warmth.

Apparently these latest ones are US spec, supposedly better quality than the old ones, time will tell.

Regards Remmyman