Small pistol primers in .223

A friend of mine bought a second hand reloading setup and it came with 1000 small pistol primers (as well as 1000 small rifle primers - he has a .243 so they're for me!).

I've read that using small pistol primers in a rifle is a bad idea but mainly because they could cause slam fire - something that is impossible in a bolt action rifle (unless the pin was sticking out and I really slammed it forward, I suppose).

Basically, seeing as handguns are *illegal* (for all intensive purposes), I'm not sure what to do with these primers if I can't use them for reloading rifle ammunition. Fortunately they're all properly boxed up so I can't get them mixed up (and the anvils are different). Apart from hitting them with a hammer to work towards a Darwin award, do they still have their uses? Can they even be posted to the US where they seem to have a shortage?

A friend of mine bought a second hand reloading setup and it came with 1000 small pistol primers (as well as 1000 small rifle primers - he has a .243 so they're for me!).

I've read that using small pistol primers in a rifle is a bad idea but mainly because they could cause slam fire - something that is impossible in a bolt action rifle (unless the pin was sticking out and I really slammed it forward, I suppose).

Basically, seeing as handguns are *illegal* (for all intensive purposes), I'm not sure what to do with these primers if I can't use them for reloading rifle ammunition. Fortunately they're all properly boxed up so I can't get them mixed up (and the anvils are different). Apart from hitting them with a hammer to work towards a Darwin award, do they still have their uses? Can they even be posted to the US where they seem to have a shortage?

To thin a primer cup - likely hood of pierced primers and gasses jetting back your way in this cartridge at std operating pressures. In a word dont

As others have said - small pistol primers aren't a good idea in high pressure rifle rounds as the metal cup is thinner. Also, the priming compound likely won't be as powerful so you might get ignition issues. Small pistol primers can be used in some rifle cartridged, .22 Hornet being one.

There are plenty of uses, as others have said, so you will easily find someone who has a use for them.

You certainly can't post them to the US and I don't think you can send them anywhere by air without special licensing.

J.

If your mate sells 'em (and if your local to Cambs), I'll buy them.

Anyone into target shooting will know there's still plenty of (long barrelled) "hand guns" around.

I've got a stainless steel, 7 shot .357 magnum revolver and a Marlin lever action. I load .38 special and .357 mag for both.