Recoil pad ground to size

Zx12rash

Hi Iain

what did you use to get it to size ? I have a nice ventilated one that needs re sizing

cheers

craig

Best to use either a static belt or disc sander, but you can get away using portable machines - if you are careful !

The pad has to be a grind to fit pad by the way - if not then they normally don't sand well at all.

ATB

Aye £60 is the going rate to sand to fit the stock, tip is to put a couple turns of masking tape around the wood so if you slip the tape will act as a buffer, just replace the tape and start agian. Wish I had bought the belt sander on offer in Aldi in the summer, £28 and Iwould have saved £32 and have another power tool!

Bod.

Aye £60 is the going rate to sand to fit the stock, tip is to put a couple turns of masking tape around the wood so if you slip the tape will act as a buffer, just replace the tape and start agian. Wish I had bought the belt sander on offer in Aldi in the summer, £28 and Iwould have saved £32 and have another power tool!

Bod.

I did and I have. :-) even though it still hasn't been used, I just can't resist a power tool.

Cheers

Tom

Did the one on my semi auto with my belt grinder - started with a clean new 40 grit ceramic, then onto 120g zirconium, and finished on a 400 silica.

Lots of masking tape to protect the stock, and took it slowly.

Ok, it wasn't the neatest job I've ever done, but acceptable for a first go, and better than paying someone else half the value of the gun to do it for me!

Most important bits - clean, sharp belts, making tape and patience.

If in doubt, practice on a piece of scrap wood first - one a similar size and shape to your stock.

I just did my first one! Watched a YouTube video and clamped my random orbital sander to one of my trestles and it came out really well. Was well happy, I did re oil the stock aswell tho so I didn't have to worry about touching it with the sander

Edited by Darno

If every one is so good at fitting but pads with an angle grinder why have we no pictures come on lads show us your skills Deershooter

I extended the stock with a peice of walnut and put a pad on. I will try and load some pics later if I can remember how to:-)

Edited by Darno

If every one is so good at fitting but pads with an angle grinder why have we no pictures come on lads show us your skills

Deershooter

Angle grinder :lol::/:no:

Haven't got any decent photos to upload yet.

So here is a carp photo :lol:

MP153_xt.jpg

Like I said, the extension is a bit rough, as it is my first, and was knocked up from bits out of the Box of Useful Items.

The belt grinder is usually used for making stuff like this or this. :)