Scopes

MAB1954

Plenty of better stalking scopes about for under 500.

personally I like a fixed mag: 6x42, 7x 50 and 8x56 are the common sizes. I use 8x56 when possible. I might know for a zeiss 7x50 illuminated if thats of any interest to you? And have a meopta 7x50 for sale for £200 which is great stalking scope.

If you want variable then its worth looking at Vortex. In my opinion better than leupold in build quality and better glass.

You can usually pick up a s&b 8x56 1" tube for £350-400 or even if you get a 30mm tube you should still have chanege for new mounts.

Just my opinion but I hope it helps.

Edd

Hi.

Looking for some advice on scopes for a stalking rifle, rifle is a 270W with 25mm rings, and I want to spend under £500. I was looking at a Leupold VX1 3-9 x 40 on www.sportsmansgunshop but not sure if I would not be better off getting some thing secondhand but higher quality. All views welcome.

yes, used Ziess, older Swaro, Pecar will give a lifetime of service and far better low light performance than VX1. You will appreciate that at last light, with a VX1 you will have gone home 30 mins before.

A

Hi.

Looking for some advice on scopes for a stalking rifle, rifle is a 270W with 25mm rings, and I want to spend under £500. I was looking at a Leupold VX1 3-9 x 40 on www.sportsmansgunshop but not sure if I would not be better off getting some thing secondhand but higher quality. All views welcome.

I have the above in my collection. A decent all rounder RF, CF all reason scope. WAAAAAAY over priced new currently! worth £150 -£200 tops second hand and they still honour the lifetime guarantee so if you want one buy it that way. Personally I should buy a 6x42 or 8x56 S+Bender for a stalking rifle though my VX1 lived on a stalking rifle some years successfully, light was ok (not as good as the S+Benders (which I have used foxing on open fields on a big moon without a lamp a time or two) but the fine cross hair soon disappeared in the woods. S+Bender service and repair is difficult in the UK at present and costly with lots of hassle posting to the factory! Be aware of this if making a second hand purchase.

The VX1 from experience will fail you as the light fades, your budget of 500 will need to be 2nd hand S&B or Swarovski. in my opinion I would ask for money for Christmas and save a bit more, you will get your return via Deer in the freezer. Stretch as far as you can and get the best, if you have 500 in you pocket, if you dont mind and bif you can Utting offer interest free credit and are reasonably well priced.