Eley Lightning Steel

stalker58

A couple of tests with the 32grms..the one's I weighed were closer to 30grms...Browning Maxus,Teague 5/8th choke...average of 160 shot per cartridge...first pattern 30yds 95% inside 30ins circle..next 40yds..82%, I think the pattern would hold to 50yds!..and would probably pattern better with the 36grm cartridges!

post-28796-0-46457300-1386592793_thumb.jpg

post-28796-0-80202500-1386592875_thumb.jpg

I have used a lot of these over the last coupe months but the 36 gram 3s. If your decoying ducks close range they are very difficult to use because of the very tight patterning but for flighting they are excellent just like a good game load in lead.

Best steel load by far and don't cost the earth like some USA steel stuff

I will pattern them further, just to see what they do,But I ran out of wallpaper... 30 to 50 yards, Or there about is the distance I shoot normally on the coast!....do you miss many when they are closer than 60 yards?...That terror choke would be like a rifle at 30 to 40 yards I would guess!

I'm trying to get my bbb load to pattern the same I've noticed the lightning wads are welded at the ends going to try welding my multi metal wad to gain the same effect and I should say my homeloaded duck loads don't pattern quite as good as the lightning a either

Edited by fendrover90

Apologies bringing it down to my level, not a great user of steel, but this thread sounds very interesting .. would l be correct thinking ... 3's for duck "Mallard etc" ... 1's Geese. .. 5's "Teal/Woodcock/Snipe / size" ... ?

Yes just about right , could always go bigger for the geese too if needed .

I understand you're logic .. l was pertaining to the eley lightening shot size l'm aware that is available ... on their site !! ... lve no idea who stocks Lightening cartridges wirral/cheshire tho ...

Am i right in thinking anything smaller than a 4 can go through 3/4-full choke ... 4's and bigger can only go through 1/2 choke or less ... l'd like to pick a few boxes of these cartridges up .. l quite like eley cartridges in the main....

I understand you're logic .. l was pertaining to the eley lightening shot size l'm aware that is available ... on their site !! ... lve no idea who stocks Lightening cartridges wirral/cheshire tho ...

Am i right in thinking anything smaller than a 4 can go through 3/4-full choke ... 4's and bigger can only go through 1/2 choke or less ... l'd like to pick a few boxes of these cartridges up .. l quite like eley cartridges in the main....

Hi mate i bort some i got mine from john besick at station garage in rainhill hope that helps you matey.

Steel in the main doesn't need to be choked to tightly as because of the hardness of the pellets it naturally patterns tighter than lead. As has been shown here pattern testing is well worth while. Personally I use quarter for most of my steel loads.

Steel in the main doesn't need to be choked to tightly as because of the hardness of the pellets it naturally patterns tighter than lead. As has been shown here pattern testing is well worth while. Personally I use quarter for most of my steel loads.

Hi..I was shooting 1/4 choke with my Maxus with steel and couldn't touch a bird!..when I patterned it at 30yds on a 4ft board you could have got a ostrich through the pattern...I think it is because the maxus is over bored .742 not standard 12 gauge .729 and I think thats why it patterns better choked tighter...I maybe wrong!!