Just gone and done it!!!

Beretta28g

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was thinking of these. http://claygame.co.uk/products/detail/8-ga-16mm-waxed-capped-cork-wads

As i belive i wont need a over powder card too?

Big mats right about the wad size, although a true 8 Bore is .835 many where bored different diameters....the point I think Mat is making is, most of todays wads are based on .835..so the components inside your cartridge case are in fact bigger than the bore of your gun, a lot of the bored out 10's have been bulged at the muzzle by using plaswads so proceed with caution, its true some people have put plaswads through their guns for years without problems but its a gamble....the cork wads are ok, as are the fibre ones and if you want to up the fps a little you could use a cardboard powder cup but you'll need the tool to make them!..they just form a better seal for the powder gases to produce a little more pressure...very similar to the bottom of a plaswad...the skirt bit which sits on the powder.....you can download 8 Bore loading data..on the Clay & Game site...£1 a sheet or just search the net there's plenty out there.

best wishes...Dale.

I until recently had a Ralph Grant 8 bored .827" it's really not a good idea to put the gualandi plaswads down anything tighter than .835" DerbyshireDale has got it spot on with the pressures too. As long as you don't try any massive loads or big wads through it you'll have great fun with it. Good luck!

Cheers. It's for killing geese and wigeon.

Look out for a post of success/failure soon!

**** me the price of empty cases, let's hope Santa's feeling generous!

mmm, I should examine the whole widgeon and 8 bore thing some with great care. It will make for some very expensive smallish duck

mmm, I should examine the whole widgeon and 8 bore thing some with great care. It will make for some very expensive smallish duck

+1 for me too, however I did see some 8g steel homeloads from clay and game a while back... Given that you don't hear of many folk using steel in a 8g I doubt it works very well.....

+1 for me too, however I did see some 8g steel homeloads from clay and game a while back... Given that you don't hear of many folk using steel in a 8g I doubt it works very well.....

I don't think its a case of it not working very well, i think its more having the gun that will be suitable/safe to use with steel

I believe they are bored .815 instead of .835 due to them being bored out 10s, be careful what wads you use

The Ralph Grant that I had was bored .813 which was seriously tight!! A Gualandi wad wouldn't move through the bore at all and a fibre wad was a struggle. I went to great deal of trouble selecting wads but still manage to bulge it just in front of both chambers which was caused by an oversized nitro card which I would never have believed.

I would get the bores measured up and ask Graham Deakin to make inverted card cups esp to fit your bore or supply the tooling to do it. I don't wish to be a scaremongerer but it is better to be safe than sorry

I havent tried the eight yet, tbh im still looking as to what loading materials to get.

i have no idea as to what the bore diameter is, its not stamped on there so ill play it safe fiber wads.

I was looking at cork wads which i have been told i wont need over powder nitro card.

I will be using Bismuth shot,

Any other tips?

I havent tried the eight yet, tbh im still looking as to what loading materials to get.

i have no idea as to what the bore diameter is, its not stamped on there so ill play it safe fiber wads.

I was looking at cork wads which i have been told i wont need over powder nitro card.

I will be using Bismuth shot,

Any other tips?

Yes, DON'T fire the thing until you're 100% sure about the bore size, even with fibre wads. A friend of mine managed to bulge his just in front of one of the chokes by firing someone else's homeload without checking it.

You really can have loads of fun with it just don't rushing into it and ruin your new toy :)

Yes, DON'T fire the thing until you're 100% sure about the bore size, even with fibre wads. A friend of mine managed to bulge his just in front of one of the chokes by firing someone else's homeload without checking it.

You really can have loads of fun with it just don't rushing into it and ruin your new toy :)

No one ive contacted has kit big enough to measure a 8 bore. apparently the proof marks should say. it has undergone 8 bore proof.