What's the best CF vermin gun?

wildfowler.250

Possibly a can of worms but what is the best centre fire for regularly blatting crows but also good on fox?

I've got a .22-250 which is great and no real problems with it. But if you shoot a crow on a field around a farm then you hear the bang for some distance :lol: it's nice that it's roe legal up north though. Also have a HMR but it has it's limitations.

So what do you think is the best all round CF? This new .17 hornet tick most of the boxes?

Have to say I'm starting to think a mix of .22lr, .222 and a deer rifle would have covered me for most bases.

Interested to hear your views. Is there one that does everything well?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i love my .22 hornet, as far as cf go its got to be the cheapest to run at half the powder of .222/.223 but obviously dont expect .222/.223 performance. its a 200yrd fox gun and rabbits a fair bit further if you can get it loaded right. eventually im gonna get a .243 or .223 as a 'dedicated' fox gun i think .22/.22hornet/.243 cover everything for me.

In short no! Its all compromises and were the individual chooses to make those that don't really matter TO THEM.

For instance .22 Lr with subsonic ammo and a moderator is as quiet and economical as it gets, range on a fair day? 100 yards or so in good hands, not a foxer unless your close and or able to put it spot on the spot. That said it works within these limits and I choose it.

The next up for me the .22 Hornet, it works! Burns 11 -12 grains of powder so its quiet as the centre fires come and moderates very well, it will push a 45 grn bullet along a point and shoot trajectory line to around 160 yds, is useable to much further if wind is not too tricky fox and crow to 200 yds perhaps some more depending on conditions and the nut behind the butt. Frankly it makes a HMR /WMR totally redundant unless you cant or wont re-load. ITS NOT DEER LEGAL though anyplace in the uk and you wont make it so

the third is the .243 win, does anything and more a 22-250 can with a 55 grn bullet at range but will also push the 70-85 grn varmint bullets (making it one heck of a long range varminter / foxer) or a 95 - 100 grn deer bullet making it fully deer legal North and South of the border. Some say its no good for big deer, well I listened to that rubbish a while and than tallied up what I had done with my bigger deer rifles against it and promptly sold all the big ones off. What it needs is real understanding of terminal effect and bullet performance, oh and some working knowledge of were and when to put the bullet in different circumstances. In some respects its not a novice gun if your talking all deer all venues but that's as far as I will be its critic .

.222 is a fine gun though and if I were Scottish based I should have one over the Hornet as you can download a .222 to Hornet levels or less. Here in the NWest we have no munties, no CWD and its not legal to shoot roe with .22 cf. If it was legal for me to do so I shouldn't personally hesitate to use the Hornet on Roe, if you said should it be legal? my answer is no! As some stalkers need as much darn gun as they can shoulder to kill anything and haven't the skill nor the patience required to get in close and await the chance of a perfect killing shot or leave be.

I am looking at swapping the 22 hornet for the 17 (if I like it ) as it will be cheep to run and I have a 222 but that may change to a 223 or stay as 222 when the barrel gives out.

In answer to your question I would say 222/223 for good balance of power and usability.

Interesting replies guys! Basically something along the .22 hornet lines would be good. Or a .17 hornet. Would be half tempted to replace the HMR but I far rather it than my .22lr.

I am looking at swapping the 22 hornet for the 17 (if I like it ) as it will be cheep to run and I have a 222 but that may change to a 223 or stay as 222 when the barrel gives out.

In answer to your question I would say 222/223 for good balance of power and usability.

Do you get much use out of the hornet and the .222? Or do you tend to stick to one?

Edited by wildfowler.250

How would you compair the the hornets i have not shot either yet but should be having a go with the 17 in the next week or so

Any cf shot around farm buildings is always going to ring out to a degree

Interesting replies guys! Basically something along the .22 hornet lines would be good. Or a .17 hornet. Would be half tempted to replace the HMR but I far rather it than my .22lr.

Do you get much use out of the hornet and the .222? Or do you tend to stick to one?

I have t had the triple long but I must say it does out class the hornet in most ways but. It still very loud in comparison and very destructive. As my collection stands. I have the 22 lr that is used on a night only, 22 hornet I use for lamping rabbit/fox and the 222 for day time varmint. That's the idea anyway lol. But the do all over lap quite well in turns of use, power and cost per shot.

How would you compair the the hornets i have not shot either yet but should be having a go with the 17 in the next week or so

Any cf shot around farm buildings is always going to ring out to a degree

I haven't had a go with the 17 yet but will be shortly :)

The 22 is fun and very versatile a great entry into cf rifles.

I don't fire round the buildings tend to get an air gun if it's needed.

Edited by Amazed

I haven't had a go with the 17 yet but will be shortly :)

The 22 is fun and very versatile a great entry into cf rifles.

I don't fire round the buildings tend to get an air gun if it's needed.

i am just looking for somthing as a dedicated nv weather it be a 22 or a 17

i have had cf for nearly 20 years now but things are changing slowly and requirements need something abit diffarent

we ort to have a word with mr p and test both hornets :yes:

I often shoot the Hornet out of the upstairs window and you cannot hear it inside downstairs. The family could hear me shooting the HMR off the driveway in the kitchen but say they don't hear the Hornet, a lot has to do with it having a far better moderator on it to be fair (the same unit could prove dangerous on a rf and vice versa though). you can get rid of the sonic crack with any supersonic round but fired at 8ft into the ground there is just the thump of the bullet as it has not the distance to develop.

Before anyone says its safe and my nearest neighbour is over 1/2 mile away in the opposite direction

I often shoot the Hornet out of the upstairs window and you cannot hear it inside downstairs. The family could hear me shooting the HMR off the driveway in the kitchen but say they don't hear the Hornet, a lot has to do with it having a far better moderator on it to be fair (the same unit could prove dangerous on a rf and vice versa though). you can get rid of the sonic crack with any supersonic round but fired at 8ft into the ground there is just the thump of the bullet as it has not the distance to develop.

Before anyone says its safe and my nearest neighbour is over 1/2 mile away in the opposite direction

That's interesting :good: HMR isn't that loud either so hornet must be pretty quiet

Possibly a can of worms but what is the best centre fire for regularly blatting crows but also good on fox?

I've got a .22-250 which is great and no real problems with it. But if you shoot a crow on a field around a farm then you hear the bang for some distance :lol: it's nice that it's roe legal up north though. Also have a HMR but it has it's limitations.

So what do you think is the best all round CF? This new .17 hornet tick most of the boxes?

Have to say I'm starting to think a mix of .22lr, .222 and a deer rifle would have covered me for most bases.

Interested to hear your views. Is there one that does everything well?

You'll get a fair bang from any CF round so limiting noise levels would be difficult!

The only calibre I can think of is a .22LR in Subsonic ammo format and there your limiting your range to under 100 yards especially for Fox.

Yes but shooting out of an up stairs window is nothing like shooting around farm building i do alot of both there is more for the boom of the shot to echo off and sounds louder

Well mine is identical LOL. As regards my driveway I have a large shed, big kennels and a 6mtr x 6mtr workshop around the area and a large stepped wall a few big trees a fence a stable and a pump house and a big pole with a satellite dish on shooting along side a dry stone wall etc is always going to be noisy as the sonic boom happens repeatedly so I get your point but can you send in plans please so I might be more precise with my answer LOL

That's interesting :good: HMR isn't that loud either so hornet must be pretty quiet

Correct half the powder of the .222

I've been thinking along similar lines to the OP. Of course I'd like lots of rifles - just the precision engineering is worth having one for.

I concluded that, for me, a .22 rimfire using subsonics for close and quiet. .17 Hornet for most things an HMR can do and more besides, a .308 for everything else.

3 rifles for all my shooting.

However, I have a rem 700 .223 which I dont want to part with so 4 is my perfect score assuming 3 sets of reloading gear.

For me at least everything else is just toys.

Well mine is identical LOL. As regards my driveway I have a large shed, big kennels and a 6mtr x 6mtr workshop around the area and a large stepped wall a few big trees a fence a stable and a pump house and a big pole with a satellite dish on shooting along side a dry stone wall etc is always going to be noisy as the sonic boom happens repeatedly so I get your point but can you send in plans please so I might be more precise with my answer LOL

lol if you get my point i dont need to get my pencil out then :whistling:

i am just looking for somthing as a dedicated nv weather it be a 22 or a 17

i have had cf for nearly 20 years now but things are changing slowly and requirements need something abit diffarent

we ort to have a word with mr p and test both hornets :yes:

Deja vu.

You're spot on; things do change and I think that I've been where you are now having come down from 243 via 223 to the 22 Hornet. I'm old, knadgered but can still shoot a bit - it's the running around the countryside that's out of the question. Consequently, when I hit a fox I really need it to stay hit and after due consideration and catering for a little less than perfect shot, I've settled on a 400ft/lb minimum energy requirement which assumes an appropriate bullet. Re-loading the 22 hornet, gives me 225 yards for the 400. The 17 version is new and very probably state of the art everything. The 22 certainly is not but it is this fact that means it lends itself to the improvements in bullets, powder, etc, etc which enables the enhanced performance. I'm not sure but someone will undoubtably very quickly correct me if I'm wrong, but apart from the other benefits of re-loading I can't see this state of the art new calibre lending itself to a dramatically improved performance in terms of energy when re-loading.

The 17 Hornet with the 20 grain bullet loses the 400ft/lbs at 115 yards.

225 yards with nv should do the job nicely.

Deja vu.

You're spot on; things do change and I think that I've been where you are now having come down from 243 via 223 to the 22 Hornet. I'm old, knadgered but can still shoot a bit - it's the running around the countryside that's out of the question. Consequently, when I hit a fox I really need it to stay hit and after due consideration and catering for a little less than perfect shot, I've settled on a 400ft/lb minimum energy requirement which assumes an appropriate bullet. Re-loading the 22 hornet, gives me 225 yards for the 400. The 17 version is new and very probably state of the art everything. The 22 certainly is not but it is this fact that means it lends itself to the improvements in bullets, powder, etc, etc which enables the enhanced performance. I'm not sure but someone will undoubtably very quickly correct me if I'm wrong, but apart from the other benefits of re-loading I can't see this state of the art new calibre lending itself to a dramatically improved performance in terms of energy when re-loading.

The 17 Hornet with the 20 grain bullet loses the 400ft/lbs at 115 yards.

225 yards with nv should do the job nicely.

yes i would say 225 would be more than enough :good: