ear defenders on foreshore

strangford  wildfowler

I have never worn ear protection but now have Tinitus which is a constant high pitched whistling. My advice is wear them. I feel sure mine was made worse by pigeon shooting rather than wildfowling but its all contributed. There is lots of options for ear protection out there now unlike 30+ years ago. Now what did you say ???

Me too. I am booked in for a hearing test too. A work colleague who shoots is 10 years younger than me (I'm 47) appeared in wearing a hearing aid just before Christmas.

I wear them now but I wish I'd done it since I started shooting 30 odd years ago.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing .....

These electronic ones cost me less than £40 delivered and they work really well. Just make sure you use the .COM and not .CO.UK

LINK

I also have these and they are fantastic. Turn them up and you can hear things better than without them!

A few shots here and there or not, why risk damaging your hearing for the sake of 40 quid?

Does anyone use them, I find them a pain in the hole when on the foreshore, but I would like to hear your thoughts before my hearing goes out the window.

Cheers SW

I used them all the time when "clay shooting" for years but that was shooting thousands of shots, with fowling you'll not get that many chances so Damage to hearing is negligable...if you do want to use them just use a plug in the ear opposite to the "shoulder you mount the gun" in as that ear is more or less open to the report of the shot, where as the gunstock and shoulder will act as a shield to the other one good fowling weather muffles the gunshot anyway but you'll need them if your shooting a couple of hundred carts at the pigeons!

best wishes ...Dale.

You know those super magnum 12 ga shells and the best of todays 3" steel stuff make a heck of a bang, not to mention 10ga and bigger! Ported aftermarket chokes? Of course the individual can make his own choice, though I suspect his family will thank him when they don't have to say everything twice!

last night on evening flight my mind wandered towards this subject and I realised having more acute hearing to hear the wing beats is little real advantage as the dog can show you were to look well prior to you ever picking them up if you have the wit to watch him, it just takes time for him to learn we don't shoot pewits, Curlew and Shellies which were our only chances last night!

I used to teach skill at arms in the Army and always wore electronic ear defenders. I also do for pigeon shooting but never did for wildfowling. However, as I use my 10g more often now, I have gone back to the ear defenders. It used to amaze me the amount of lads firing 7.62 all day long with no protection. Im sure they will regret it.

I used to teach skill at arms in the Army and always wore electronic ear defenders. I also do for pigeon shooting but never did for wildfowling. However, as I use my 10g more often now, I have gone back to the ear defenders. It used to amaze me the amount of lads firing 7.62 all day long with no protection. Im sure they will regret it.

Is 'skill at arms' what we used to call weapon training?

Where does your 0146 come from? I used to be 0416 in former days.

Is 'skill at arms' what we used to call weapon training?

Where does your 0146 come from? I used to be 0416 in former days.

Yes, Skill at Arms is the course you have to take to teach weapon systems. 0146 is the last 4 of my regimental number. I have a feeling I was shooting around your way over Christmas. (Great Yarmouth area?)

Used for clay and pigeon in numbers, not on foreshore you cant hear wing beats , no use in half light revealing on sight only

end up shooting protected birds. :innocent::whistling:

If you need to rely on wing beat "noise" you shouldn't even raise your gun anyhow. In fairness by the time a regulat fowler meets his forties his hearing will be too damaged to hear such things. All this don't wear then stuff does the younger shooter no favours, its certainly a mistake I am wishing I never made

+1 for electronic

I shot for years and played with explosives and heavy machinery and it has effected my hearing already despite wearing protection... why make it worse

according to a doctor friend, it only takes one bang to come in at right frequency/angle into ear and you have tinnitus

with the electronic, I can hear much better than any of you without

The sordin pro ones are I use ,but they are £ 200 ,but I've dropped a few sorts in the water over the years would if been cheaper to have got them straight away

The sordin pro ones are I use ,but they are £ 200 ,but I've dropped a few sorts in the water over the years would if been cheaper to have got them straight away