One for the cigar smokers

.philmypower.

I am a non smoker and was given a cigar last week as a tip for clearing up a tree at work. I must say I had it with a glass of scotch and really enjoyed it. Now I don't want to become a smoker but I wouldn't mind say having one or two a month whilst relaxing, wether it be fishing in the summer or after shoot days.

The cigar I was given was worth around fifteen quid and in a tube, what I was wondering is how important is a humidor. Also what cigars would you recommend as there seems to be hundreds to choose from.

Thanks

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm younger than you pal, maybe little jay ( maglad ) could light them for me lol.

Happy new year to you pal.

dont go there, one or two will become more. keep those lungs clean mate, from a breathless old geezer who started smoking at the age of 11

I hear what your saying buddy but surely the odd cigar wouldn't harm.

I'm younger than you pal, maybe little jay ( maglad ) could light them for me lol.

Happy new year to you pal.

I hear what your saying buddy but surely the odd cigar wouldn't harm.

i gave up smoking for a week once in my life, and after a week i decided i would have 1 panatella in the morning and one in the evening. after three weeks i was buying two packets of six, a day. stay clean mate. :yes:

Tubed cigars will keep on the shelf. Try and keep them at below 18 deg. and keep the tube sealed.

If you buy loose or a box, as soon as the air is involved, keep them below 18 deg and 75% ish humidity ( Humidor )

Remember, a cigar is a different smoke, the smoke is wafted around the mouth and exhaled. Never taken into the lungs.

Tubed cigars have a reasonably good shelf life outside of a humidor - up to 12 months in a fairly typical British climate. As JABB says, if you start buying loose you really would need a humidor (as the cigar will quickly dry out at ambient humidity). Ideal RH is 67%-70%. If you don't want to limit yourself to tubed options - as it does limit things somewhat after a time - you can put together a makeshift humidor with a tupperware container and a special pouch which will maintain a certain humidity. As a plastic tub will breathe less than a cedar lined humidor it's wise to go for a slightly lower RH (65-67%) to help counter the slightly more favourable situation for mould development.

As for which cigars to try next... Personally I would avoid falling into the Montecristo trap - they make some lovely smokes, but the sheer quantity that are produced means that there are terrible issues with quality control and consistency. Particularly with the No4. That said, the Petit Edmundo is a good, consistent smoke (and available tubed). If you're new to smoking, I'd recommend something by H.Upmann (the Magnum 46 is a good choice which comes tubed). Romeo y Julieta No2 and Short Churchill are also both approachable cigars which come tubed. If you want to pay a little over the odds, you could try a Cohiba SIGLO II - it's a good cigar, and can be had for about £17, but given it's size should be about £5 less... It's the Cohiba effect though.

Try a few and find what works for you. I'd normally warn off things like Partagas or Bolivar for someone starting out as they pack a punch - but if you're body can cope with the hit, you may enjoy their fuller flavour profiles. You may also find you like the slightly 'sweeter' and more straightforward style of some of the more premium non-Cuban cigars.

In true Yahoo answers fashion I shall justify myself... I'm a cigar importer, blogger, and columnist. You could say it's a hobby which got away from me a little bit. I've never smoked cigarettes, and can go months on end over the summer without sampling any of my wares - so I like to think that I'm not addicted. Sadly, none of the cigars I import are tubed, so have been unable to pitch anything of my own. For my blog, if you've got time to kill, have a look for the Cigar Monologues (entirely non-commercial, just a review and lifestyle thing).

it doesn't matter if you have 1 or 100 they all do the same damage.

Quite right, 1 or 100 will do no long-term damage whatsoever. :innocent:

Edited by southwest_colonel

Tubed cigars have a reasonably good shelf life outside of a humidor - up to 12 months in a fairly typical British climate. As JABB says, if you start buying loose you really would need a humidor (as the cigar will quickly dry out at ambient humidity). Ideal RH is 67%-70%. If you don't want to limit yourself to tubed options - as it does limit things somewhat after a time - you can put together a makeshift humidor with a tupperware container and a special pouch which will maintain a certain humidity. As a plastic tub will breathe less than a cedar lined humidor it's wise to go for a slightly lower RH (65-67%) to help counter the slightly more favourable situation for mould development.

As for which cigars to try next... Personally I would avoid falling into the Montecristo trap - they make some lovely smokes, but the sheer quantity that are produced means that there are terrible issues with quality control and consistency. Particularly with the No4. That said, the Petit Edmundo is a good, consistent smoke (and available tubed). If you're new to smoking, I'd recommend something by H.Upmann (the Magnum 46 is a good choice which comes tubed). Romeo y Julieta No2 and Short Churchill are also both approachable cigars which come tubed. If you want to pay a little over the odds, you could try a Cohiba SIGLO II - it's a good cigar, and can be had for about £17, but given it's size should be about £5 less... It's the Cohiba effect though.

Try a few and find what works for you. I'd normally warn off things like Partagas or Bolivar for someone starting out as they pack a punch - but if you're body can cope with the hit, you may enjoy their fuller flavour profiles. You may also find you like the slightly 'sweeter' and more straightforward style of some of the more premium non-Cuban cigars.

In true Yahoo answers fashion I shall justify myself... I'm a cigar importer, blogger, and columnist. You could say it's a hobby which got away from me a little bit. I've never smoked cigarettes, and can go months on end over the summer without sampling any of my wares - so I like to think that I'm not addicted. Sadly, none of the cigars I import are tubed, so have been unable to pitch anything of my own. For my blog, if you've got time to kill, have a look for the Cigar Monologues (entirely non-commercial, just a review and lifestyle thing).

Quite right, 1 or 100 will do no long-term damage whatsoever. :innocent:

Thanks, that's just the info I was looking for

Tubed cigars will keep on the shelf. Try and keep them at below 18 deg. and keep the tube sealed.

If you buy loose or a box, as soon as the air is involved, keep them below 18 deg and 75% ish humidity ( Humidor )

Remember, a cigar is a different smoke, the smoke is wafted around the mouth and exhaled. Never taken into the lungs.

With the utmost respect they become more addictive than cigarettes and very soon the OP will be buying cigarette sized cigars like Café Crème and smoking them similar to a cigarette.

Also consider life insurance premiums in the future.... one a month, or six a year makes no difference to all of the life insurance underwriters.....your a user of tobacco products full stop and premiums will double...Might not be a consideration now but if you ever need to get a life insurance policy to take care of the family or support a mortgage you will be crippled.

When I went to my doctor a few years back he said "are you a smoker" to which I replied "no not really perhaps a cigar at Christmas, or Birthday probably less than 6 a year".... ....he wrote on my medical records........................................smoker.!

Smoke is smoke be it off a fire or cigar . They'll all kill you in the end.

Lost an old friend in November to it and both grandads . The girlfriend lost her mum to it at 50 years old and left her mum less at 14 .

What you have to remember it's the poisons in the things besides nicotine etc. the ex met a girl who was given until her 20 th birthday to live after discovering that her body had reacted to the one poison over only 18 months of smoking.

I've got asthma and realise how nice it is to breath now after years of working in dust . My age is 32 but my lung age is 70+ without inhailers

I enjoy the occasional cigar, but usually the little Cafe Creme sized Cuban ones.

Regarding the addictiveness... It's rather personal willpower, surely?

I can have a cigar and not smoke another for weeks. Similarly, occasionally, I smoke a couple of cigarettes if I'm out shooting etc, but then won't touch one for weeks or months.

I enjoy the occasional cigar, but usually the little Cafe Creme sized Cuban ones.

Regarding the addictiveness... It's rather personal willpower, surely?

I can have a cigar and not smoke another for weeks. Similarly, occasionally, I smoke a couple of cigarettes if I'm out shooting etc, but then won't touch one for weeks or months.

Then you are a smoker,even the occasional fag or cigar makes you a smoker,ask yourself this,knowing that there are a cocktail of carcinogens in each one you smoke that have the potential to kill you,why have the occasional one.

You are a smoker,just because you leave weeks or months between fixes does not make you a non smoker,you are addicted,otherwise you would not need to ever smoke one.

Then you are a smoker,even the occasional fag or cigar makes you a smoker,ask yourself this,knowing that there are a cocktail of carcinogens in each one you smoke that have the potential to kill you,why have the occasional one.

You are a smoker,just because you leave weeks or months between fixes does not make you a non smoker,you are addicted,otherwise you would not need to ever smoke one.

Because I enjoy it... Occasionally...I'm not addicted to sex, but I enjoy that (occasionally), too ;)

Sorry, but the op asked for advice on a chosen subject. We don't need a right or wrong argument. There are plenty of things out there which kill you.

OK, some on here obviously disagree with the OPs new found hobby, whilst others get great pleasure from it. Lets be friends?

Interesting range of responses, I'd have to say that I fall into the "don't do it" camp.

As a smoker for many years, packed up over 25 years ago, when my then wife fell pregnant I can say that I feel better now than I did then.

If you have massive will power and don't become addicted that is fine, if you don't inhale that lessens the cancer risk but you also have to bear in mind the added risk of mouth cancer.

Maybe it is a bit like drug taking; some, myself included, never went beyond smoking a bit of weed whereas others get sucked in to the whole range of experiences with inevitably negative results.

Interesting range of responses, I'd have to say that I fall into the "don't do it" camp.

As a smoker for many years, packed up over 25 years ago, when my then wife fell pregnant I can say that I feel better now than I did then.

If you have massive will power and don't become addicted that is fine, if you don't inhale that lessens the cancer risk but you also have to bear in mind the added risk of mouth cancer.

Maybe it is a bit like drug taking; some, myself included, never went beyond smoking a bit of weed whereas others get sucked in to the whole range of experiences with inevitably negative results.

very similar to drinking booze i guess