winter morning's/afternoon's

woodfordpigeon

Last week end we were out first thing. Set up at Sun rise, half hour or less they started. Really picked up at 11is then slowed gradually until about 3pm when we decided to pack up.

Every area would be different i would think depending on weather too.

I was once told that if there is a heavy frost on the rape the pigeons will not feed off it because the frost on the leaves reduce their body temperature. Just how people know these things will always be a mystery to me but this piece of folklore does seem logical.

I went out yesterday morning. There was a heavy frost on rape but with strong sunlight which would soon melt the frost. About 40 - 50 pigeons took off from the surrounding trees and my hopes were high. They were never to be seen again, even when the frost had melted! A familiar disappearing act that many are experiencing.

Managed three passing birds but couldn't stay to see if the situation changed in the afternoon. Will try p m next week.

I prefer afternoon sessions, cant stand leaving a warm bed before 9 am.I normally set out a few deeks up till about 2.30, then get in under some big trees for the last few coming in to roost, its hard to find them in numbers.

Yesterday I took the wife to norfolk and norwich hospital for an appointment, just before lunch and between the A47 and the hospital there were about 1000 pigeons on some fields and in the trees, I couldnt believe just how many there were. we stopped the van and sat watching them for about 15 minutes, they kept lifting up and circling but always returned to feed or dropped into the nearby trees, just a shame I dont have any permission around there. who ever has the local permission is missing out, several flew past us with crops stuffed full , they must have been there for hours. :yahoo::yahoo:

I would always set up for first light at this time of year. I have had some very good bags this way. I've found that the first hour and the last hour of daylight can be the most productive.

I am going on some sugar beet tops tomorrow. The beet was taken up over a week ago and it's taken them a little while to build up. There must have been over 500 on the field this afternoon.

I would always set up for first light at this time of year. I have had some very good bags this way. I've found that the first hour and the last hour of daylight can be the most productive.

I am going on some sugar beet tops tomorrow. The beet was taken up over a week ago and it's taken them a little while to build up. There must have been over 500 on the field this afternoon.

Sounds like you might get a few there Motty , I dont think I have decoyed since October but will soon be able to start having a look at some game strips.

Sounds like you might get a few there Motty , I dont think I have decoyed since October but will soon be able to start having a look at some game strips.

With a bit of luck I might get a few. The field isn't the easiest to shoot and there's a school next door to it and a road on one side. I don't know at the moment whether to set up in the middle or down one edge under some trees. Wind direction may make the decision easier, but i'm thinking they might head for the trees first thing. Going to try a flapper and maybe two magnets.

I haven't really shot any pigeons since October, would be nice to shoot a decent bag. I'll be gutted if I don't get at least 30.

I'm also hoping to shoot a few on the maize.

Edited by motty

With a bit of luck I might get a few. The field isn't the easiest to shoot and there's a school next door to it and a road on one side. I don't know at the moment whether to set up in the middle or down one edge under some trees. Wind direction may make the decision easier, but i'm thinking they might head for the trees first thing. Going to try a flapper and maybe two magnets.

I haven't really shot any pigeons since October, would be nice to shoot a decent bag. I'll be gutted if I don't get at least 30.

I'm also hoping to shoot a few on the maize.

I think you may be right about the trees first thing , my winter pigeon shooting is going to be very little this year as my three farms only have one rape field between them , I am not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing though , its seldom very productive through the winter , but then I could be missing out come march.

Twenty years ago we would set up before first light after seeing the birds on the field the day before , we would have approx thirty to fifty and by 10.00 it would have been all over. If you stayed on the field you might get another twenty over the day . We found that if you go and look for more birds they would be feeding in new fields and you could set up and shoot all day. Ref frost on rape they will sit in the trees till the sun burns it off then drop down to feed. Now we go out just after light and watch a flight-line to the feeding field and watch for birds joining before we set up. I said this before my theory is that the first birds into roost have fed well but they digest overnight and are first out in the morning and remember the good feeding fields the rest in the roost follow the leader. If they are shot as they arrive at the field they eventually spook the rest. That's my theory others may disagree but it works for me.