Restocking a English Percussion Muzzle loader.

demonwolf444

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i dont know about yorkshire but i sent my application christmas time, i think a day or two after christmas and had my license on wednesday so timings not far of that for my shorgun license... but there where reasons why mine may have taken longer, the feo on his visit said i am the first person ever in south wales to request the blackpowder license for rough shooting / hunting. usually only those strange people.. re-enactors apply here... why the hell would somone want to prance around firing a gun and nothing comes out the end... strange :)

i dont know about yorkshire but i sent my application christmas time, i think a day or two after christmas and had my license on wednesday so timings not far of that for my shorgun license... but there where reasons why mine may have taken longer, the feo on his visit said i am the first person ever in south wales to request the blackpowder license for rough shooting / hunting. usually only those strange people.. re-enactors apply here... why the hell would somone want to prance around firing a gun and nothing comes out the end... strange :)

:lol: often wondered myself :lol::good:

I have been using 12g wads... mainly because i have been pilfering a diminishing supply of cartridges for the shot because i enjoy the MLer more and thought i may as well use the wads too. I cut them into three they are tight to start with but settle nice a flat in the bottom end well enough. So i wouldn't mind taking them off your hands as they would be useful to me, although if there is anyone else wanting them i can send on half to someone else.

On the muzzle loader i have been oiling and nocking back and oiling and oiling and oiling, and the wood just was going a little dark for my tastes, so i have taken it back with some 150 grit and am going to try a different finish when i pick up some grain sealer.

James.

pm me your address james and I will stick them in the post-if the ones you are using are really tight you might want to try 13G wads-I will put a few in a separate bag along with over shot wads etc-hope they are of use to you-Bruno.BTW-for more reliable ignition, load the gun with the hammers at half cock-it seems to encourage powder to fill the nipples better.

Edited by bruno22rf

I had ended up oil finishing it with linseed, but i was applying and it was going darker and darker and darker and obscuring the grain and really not looking good, it was not hardening properly and was not building a decent finish.

So i took it back to 150 grit to bare wood again and sanded to 400 grit, raised the grain again, and then bought a brand new bottle of sealer and sealed the grain, my old sealer was a bit congealed and so i wonder if it had degraded or something. Anyway sealing the grain i applied the first coat of london stock finish last night and the second coat today. Typically we dont/ cant afford heating so i have to get the electric heater up into my room so the finishes will dry even with ts95. Waiting on this second layer to harden up ( hopefully by morning ) so i can rub it back and put another coat on.

post-24172-0-63574100-1392763428_thumb.jpg

I can't wait to get this one chequered up as it really is like the icing on the cake.

hi, I use trade secret oil, its really good. wads and shot from from clay and game. I bought black powder from kranks, it's course {its like cannon powder}. I now buy powder and caps from my club traffalgar muzzle loaders. over shot cards are made from beer mats. your stock is looking good. I can't wait to see it finished.

I am trying to get around to making a brown bess carbine, I have most of the items but spare time is hard to come by.

chris

hi, I use trade secret oil, its really good. wads and shot from from clay and game. I bought black powder from kranks, it's course {its like cannon powder}. I now buy powder and caps from my club traffalgar muzzle loaders. over shot cards are made from beer mats. your stock is looking good. I can't wait to see it finished.

I am trying to get around to making a brown bess carbine, I have most of the items but spare time is hard to come by.

chris

My opinion of trade secret oils is mixed as when i used it i didn't know what i was doing in regards to wood preparation, and there fore did not achieve a good finish. In hindsight i probably did not prep the wood in any way, I'll maybe try it again some time soon.

Bruno.22rf sent me a load of wads and shot cards, which was extremely generous of him, so i will be using those for the time being, but will get a punch ordered soon.

Appreciate your kind words on my work(or lack of)manship, i still need to put in for my BP ticket, just need to get around to printing off the from, which i should and could have done today!

Finish is building well, i just need to let it cure up now before finishing the finish.

That sounds like a cool project if you get around to it please share the project on here, its great to see other peoples project and benefit from the shared enjoyment!

I have a mind of getting a gun from IMA antiques who have guns from the Nepalese Cache, they are in a "rough shape"... and i mean really rough shape, but its the kind of things i enjoy, so far as i can work out all the guns are original and antique and most are obsolete caliber, so i should not have any problems importing them, but i will get some legal advice from BASC before doing anything as i would hate to not only spend money but then be arrested for it on some queer subsection of the firearms laws..

hi, if you try trade secret again, or anybody reading this. do not follow the instructions or you will probably end up with a sticky stock { i'm glad I spelt that right lol }. once the stock is prep'd I whack loads of alkanet on it, most will absorb quickly. after half hour I rub the stock with bare hands, to spread any remaining oil. I then leave it over night to dry. then I start using rapid oil, take the top off, press your finger on top of the bottle, and shake it. now you need to spread the little bit of oil that is on your finger as far as possible. then repeat until stock is thinly covered. if you have used as little as possible it will be dry in about half a hour. now I put one drop of oil in my hand and try to cover one side of the stock with it.as the coats slowly build up, you will notice how easy it is to spread just one drop. I do four or five coats, then I put fine wirewool on top of the bottle, turn the bottle upside down then back up again. gently work the wirewool in small circles over one side of stock, then with one wipe with a soft cloth I wipe most of the oil off. let it dry then rub the stock with bare hands, this product likes heat. the more you rub the more it shines. if you don't want too much of a shine, i use one coat of TS-95 oil, leave this to dry and don't rub it. job done.that's all there is to it. I have just finished repairing a old 17 bore muzzle loader. it had a old repair which come apart after the previous owner dropped it. the stock was stained very dark to hide the fix, but I could see some nice grain to it, so I stripped, fixed , and oiled it. I wanted a deep shine so I done about five extra coats of rapid oil. if you are interested I will try and put a picture of on here.

I too have done airgun stocks and one customer as had seven made by me, so I know what you mean about pride when you finish one,

chris.

This one for another customer, all the stocks are individually balanced to complement the customers rifle and scope set up, and aid accurate shooting. This one was un finished in this picture, later it got custom engraving on the grip cap and custom stippling and weave pattern carving.post-24172-0-04671100-1393039014_thumb.jpg

This one was un finished, the customer planned on painting it club colours or something

post-24172-0-21299700-1393039110_thumb.jpg

This stock gave a huge bottle a fully wrap around, it finished up so nicely, i never got any decent pictures of it all put together which is a real shame. This was taken during finishing, it featured an adjustable cheek piece.

post-24172-0-21649500-1393039128_thumb.jpg

There are more out there, and more in progress, but in the winter when i went into the workshop it was dark, when i returned it was dark, so i didnt get much chance to take pictures.

Note to self Remember camera to take pictures on my next outing.

Well i went out with the muzzle loader roost shooting today, only for ferret food. Really wanted to get a pigeon in flight, missed two, think i need to shoot some clays with it just to get my eye in and since i needed ferret food and still have not been to kranks and still need to do my bp ticket i need to be conservative with my ammo i dropped one pigeon which had just landed, was going to pack up when i saw a squirrel. Quickest reload of my life, dropped the squirrel.

Love shooting this gun, probably far too much, keep reaching for it over my modern guns.