Is it worth the hassle?

A lot of wildfowlers reload the likes of hevishot and the likes, starts saving you money after a few seasons if my sums are right (I am sure one of the serious fowlers on here like pavman etc will be a long in a minute to confirm).

I looked into it, isn't even worth doing it for pigeon loads, might be for fox loads though depending on how many you get through.

I have sat and watched someone with a moderately priced rig do 50 carts a few times and even with practice it is still a bit of a faff. You can buy more expensive machines which automate more of it for you but they are hellish expensive over here compared to the states from what I can see.

I wouldn't mind doing a couple of hundred over a season, but to do thousands would be a serious pain.

A lot of wildfowlers reload the likes of hevishot and the likes, starts saving you money after a few seasons if my sums are right (I am sure one of the serious fowlers on here like pavman etc will be a long in a minute to confirm).

I looked into it, isn't even worth doing it for pigeon loads, might be for fox loads though depending on how many you get through.

I have sat and watched someone with a moderately priced rig do 50 carts a few times and even with practice it is still a bit of a faff. You can buy more expensive machines which automate more of it for you but they are hellish expensive over here compared to the states from what I can see.

I wouldn't mind doing a couple of hundred over a season, but to do thousands would be a serious pain.

IMHO Its not just about saving cash, its about a chance to make loads you may not be able to get down the local smithy. I make up big loads for my fowling, I am talking over 2oz of BB'S etc. You have a chance to go off the beaten track and look at what you need for what you do. For clay loads and gen use I dont think its worth the hassle as shop loads fit the bill very well, however if you are into laying in wet mud on a rain driven day and only one goose comes past by golly you want a decent load if you are taking them at 50-60 yards :angry:

Nothing wrong with a bit of fiddling now and then..... :angry:

:good: I hope you are still talking about cartridges!

HD,

I have honestly not yet reloaded shotgun carts, but at one time I was seriously considering it. I talking to quite a few people, and they all told me not to go there unless I wanted to do so as a hobby.

(not waterfoul down here)

The general idea is that cartridges for average shooting needs are cheap, as they are mass produced.

To buy all the reloading kit, presses, shot, cases, primers etc is both costly and time consuming compared to buying a few cases at the local gun shop.

HD, I apologise if I offended you, prehaps you could explain your veiw on cartridge re-loading? I mearly pass along the general idea I got when talking to others on this.

If you want to die early,mess with shotgun reloading recipes,put the wrong type of shot(non-tox inplace of lead)in the cartridge,or simply use the wrong case/wad/powder.

Shotgun reloading recipes are safe.............as long as you don`t fiddle with or change in any way the recipe .....unless you have your load tested by the proof house.

Sure there are safety steps that must be taken seriously as with all reloading types.

When I referred to fiddling, I meant adjusting primer types shot size etc to a safe reloading data chart, or recipe.

It makes a great hobby for rainy Sundays to make up some different rounds to try :angry:

Sure there are safety steps that must be taken seriously as with all reloading types.

When I referred to fiddling, I meant adjusting primer types shot size etc to a safe reloading data chart, or recipe.

It makes a great hobby for rainy Sundays to make up some different rounds to try :angry:

The only thing you can change there is shot size and even then you can blow the pattern or hammer your shoulder.

to reiterate HD its a dangerous game if played with the wrong rules.

not discounting anyother aspect of reloading, but a "simple" primer insertion done wrong can ruin your day.

as to a hobby, call it what you will, shotgunners have the same if not more interest in reloading than a rifle men.

if you do a simple search, you will turn up enough prooven reloading data to fill your boots on allmost anything you want to shoot, most of the powder manufacturers supply with proof thousands of loads.

Martin