Yet another toilet/syphon type question

harrycatcat1

My daughter has been moaning about her toilet "making lots of noise".

I went to look at it today and when you press the flush, it flushes ok, however when it starts filling the water does not start filling the systern it is coming out into the bowl just wasting water. Its as though it still wants to flush and fill as well.

I touched/fiddled with the middle bit (syphon?) and somehow it stopped flushing and started filling the systern. I dont really know what I did but now it is ready to be flushed again as you will see from the pictures.

My question is is it cream crackered and needs a new syphon bit or is their a simple solution to this problem apart from my daughter having to keep fiddling with it to make it fill?

post-16219-0-71032300-1390237564_thumb.jpg

post-16219-0-10352000-1390237589_thumb.jpg

post-16219-0-74114700-1390237616_thumb.jpg

Thanks for looking and for any advice you can give :good::good:

Regards

Hcc

Turn off the water, then flush. Take hold of the white plastic and twist it so that it disengages from the bit at the bottom. Once removed you will see a rubber washer at the bottom. This rubber washer often gets covered in limescale or soap if people insist on putting those daft soap blocks in the cistern. Sometimes you can clean them up, sometimes you can pull them off and turn them over to get a bit more life out of them, but really youo'd be best going to a proper plumbing shop and getting a replacement rubber for it.

Turn off the water, then flush. Take hold of the white plastic and twist it so that it disengages from the bit at the bottom. Once removed you will see a rubber washer at the bottom. This rubber washer often gets covered in limescale or soap if people insist on putting those daft soap blocks in the cistern. Sometimes you can clean them up, sometimes you can pull them off and turn them over to get a bit more life out of them, but really youo'd be best going to a proper plumbing shop and getting a replacement rubber for it.

Ah so, correct me if I am wrong, the syphon can be removed once the water is off without taking the cistern (thats the word I was trying to spell) off? then you can see the rubber washer that you are talking about? anticlockwise? Is like a bayonet or threaded?

So the rubber washer will be between the bit at the bottom of the cistern and the bit that I will twist off?

Regards

Hcc

Edited by harrycatcat1

Whatever it costs you to have sorted - Dont tell Dougy !!

It sounds like the flush is sticking and its syphoning continuously as soon as the cistern starts to refill (until you tinkered with it manually and it stopped flushing and refilled cistern)

I wont say (wink)

Yes it is as you have described but not sure how to sort it yet, fingers crossed I may be getting close :good:

Hcc

Its not a syphon its a modern valve, something is sticking allowing the 'valve' to remain open. They are a pain to get spares for as most builders merchants seem to be happy to sell a replacement valve but not a washer or service kit. The overflow is the white pipe which will discharge into the toilet pan, follow the advice given about cleaning lime scale etc, although it does not appers in the photographs to be a problem.

Blackpowder

Sometimes its the cables binding too. so run some lube down the cable.

I was wondering whether they could be causing bother, sticking or needing adjustment if that can be done, thanks :good:

Its not a syphon its a modern valve, something is sticking allowing the 'valve' to remain open. They are a pain to get spares for as most builders merchants seem to be happy to sell a replacement valve but not a washer or service kit. The overflow is the white pipe which will discharge into the toilet pan, follow the advice given about cleaning lime scale etc, although it does not appers in the photographs to be a problem.

Blackpowder

Thanks, as you can tell terminoligy and spelling is not a strong point of mine :lol::lol:

Looking at the pic i would also check that a stray bit of silicone hasnt got into the flush outlet. from the pics this could be happening. Take the valve out and check that no stray bits of silicone can fall down near the flushing hole. Quite a common fault when people use too much silicone when fitting the valve.

Thanks for taking the time to post this, I am going to turn the water pressure down first thing in the morning to see if it makes a difference :good::good:

Looking at the pic i would also check that a stray bit of silicone hasnt got into the flush outlet. from the pics this could be happening. Take the valve out and check that no stray bits of silicone can fall down near the flushing hole. Quite a common fault when people use too much silicone when fitting the valve.

I will check that as well if the above does not work, thanks for taking the time to help :good:

The problem in that video is that the flow restrict or wasn't fitted when the fill valve was installed. Turning the ballofix valve a little reduces the flow (not the pressure) but will be very noisy! If you toilet used to work, then that's not going to cure anything, so ignore that video.

The problem in that video is that the flow restrict or wasn't fitted when the fill valve was installed. Turning the ballofix valve a little reduces the flow (not the pressure) but will be very noisy! If you toilet used to work, then that's not going to cure anything, so ignore that video.

You were right :good:

Still not worked out how to get it out to check the rubber seal :rolleyes:

On going project :lol:

You should be able to notice a little pin and lug cast into the white plastic, about an inch or so above the bottom. Just twist the top part of the siphon so that the pins come out of the lugs, then you can lift the working part of the siphon straight out to look at the rubber washer. Easier to do them write. Just grab the top of the siphon and twist it one way and the other and it will pop out easily.