...And that's that for another year...

Well there we go guys - all over for another year!

We had a great season on my little shoot in its first year.

Ended up shooting 61%!!

Already thinking ahead for all the plans and idea's i have to make it even better.

Hope you all enjoyed it and got good returns.

If anyone gets the sporting shooter magazine - turn to page 78 to see my article on my little shoot.

A couple of weeks off for me, then its back to it!

All the best,

Harry.

61% very good -assume you have neighbouring shoots? We shoot roughly 40% with a couple of big boundaries with no shoots. We used to do slightly better until our landlord remover a big ditch and hedgerow which joined a boundary hedge to one of our small woods - this was obviously drawing in birds. Our 2 PT keepers noticed reduction straight away.

Yes we are fortunate to have a large shoot just across the way. But we put our own birds down and certainly dont rely on this fact, but i'd be ignorant to say that the whole 61% were 'our' birds.

Im sure they shot a few of ours too!

On a side-note, I would love to know how many of our released birds we shot and was thinking of tagging this years poults.

Anyone got any experience of doing this?

Can I buy some sort of tagging gun for leg tags like racing pigeons (ASBO style!)or is a wing tag available/better?

I'd probably get depressed looking at the percentage then!

H

I do not run a shoot but if I did, and it depended on reared birds, I would have them tagged. In this way it would be definitive how many of the birds released had been shot on the shoot.

My understanding of the reason for not tagging is that 'keepers are embarrassed to hear that 'their' birds have been shot miles from the release site on other shoots.

I have shot four times this season with a friend who has a small shoot nearby. The bags have been 77, 71, 69 and 57. He released 200! No prizes for guessing that there are other larger shoots nearby and that if the other shoots had tagged their birds we would have found out that we had shot a lot of them.

I do not run a shoot but if I did, and it depended on reared birds, I would have them tagged. In this way it would be definitive how many of the birds released had been shot on the shoot.

My understanding of the reason for not tagging is that 'keepers are embarrassed to hear that 'their' birds have been shot miles from the release site on other shoots.

I have shot four times this season with a friend who has a small shoot nearby. The bags have been 77, 71, 69 and 57. He released 200! No prizes for guessing that there are other larger shoots nearby and that if the other shoots had tagged their birds we would have found out that we had shot a lot of them.

Think I posted this on another thread, but my nephew and his mates released 50 birds this last season, put cable ties on them and with last Saturday had shot 58. Only 1 had a cable tie on it.