fac air

tigger got stichs

Am suprised that folk wouldnt take hare at sensible ranges with FAC air.

.22 16gn&21gn pellets at 30Ft/Lb would go straight through a hare skull and be instantly fatal at 50yards.

At 50yards it passes straight through 1.5 inch of a peice of pine so a hare skull should be a breeze. Through and through is dead when the brain is concerned, dobut you would notice much difference with a .22lr.

ATB

Matt

Lot of assumption there, I have owned and used both. 30 ft lb .22 air will wound a heck of a lot easier than a .22 lr with subs. I had quite a few runners using and getting placements that would give DRT kills with a sub. I often use the neck as an aim point in a side wind with the LR because shifts will give a good head shot or the chest, commonly you manage the placement as aimed - it don't kill nothing like the LR. It doesn't expand and its something less than 1/3 of the power at the muzzle and lower still on retained energy due to the shockingly bad BC of an air pellet by comparisom

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

kent ,, why cant you read my post again,,would I personally use any fac air rifle to shoot a fox ? NO is the answer,

the op is asking a question,, or did you not read that properly also ?

the topic says FAC AIR

I was merely pointing out that the daystate wolverine(FAC AIR) is used to great effect shooting boar and other such large animals (American market) and is more than capable of dispatching a fox, would I myself personally use one to shoot a fox ? in the right conditions I probably would, I was merely pointing out that it would be the only fac air rifle I would use if the circumstances arose, although there are larger calibres,

I would much prefer to use my shotgun as I don't own a 243 or 22.250 and the shotgun has accounted for many and not once have they run off, the op was not asking what calibre to use on foxes he wanted to know about FAC AIR and the Wolverine would suit what THE OP was asking

atb Evo

Your actually the one seeing this out of context. I used the .243 as example of that which I should not shoot boar with at an even far higher level. and referenced the FACT that it is not recommended by those that advise (BASC also say .270 BTW). 100 ft lb air? no certainly its wrong on so many levels and should be better not used on foxes either (remember a lot of POLICE areas say no its not enough to use rimfires- get a bigger gun not often the cops tell you to get a BIGGER gun is it :rolleyes: ), I and many other fox shooters don't use rimfires either. Close range targets of opportunity in the right hands sums up rimfire rifles and foxes quite well. shotguns are fine and with the slug will kill the life out of the biggest most enraged boar no question, fox are no problem with number 3 lead up.

It matters not what some use and show as part of their marketing campaign, the wolverine is not a practical gun is of lower energy than a .22 lr and just a marketing tool in itself IMO - pack enough gun or call someone else in. THE BIGGEST POINT IS 100ft lb is way under the smallest centrefire rifles its almost like comparing a pea shooter to a 12 ft lb airgun.

You can kill almost anything with anything if you get lucky though

Trouble with a 303 Wolverine is that it is such a loopy round, you have to zero it pretty near constantly. I would never use it on fox. It is accuracy that kills and we have the need for respect for all quarry. Also the slugs on those fac air richocet as bad as a. 22lr

Am suprised that folk wouldnt take hare at sensible ranges with FAC air.

.22 16gn&21gn pellets at 30Ft/Lb would go straight through a hare skull and be instantly fatal at 50yards.

At 50yards it passes straight through 1.5 inch of a peice of pine so a hare skull should be a breeze. Through and through is dead when the brain is concerned, dobut you would notice much difference with a .22lr.

ATB

Matt

Are you saying a .22 at 30ft lb will go clean through 1.5" (40mm) of pine at 50 yards?

Edited by Dekers

Are you saying a .22 at 30ft lb will go clean through 1.5" (40mm) of pine?[/quote

If it does there's something wrong with my fac 28ft lb superten , because it dosent go through a piece of 40mm pine at 50yrds I know that much :)

mines broken too :-( doh! perhaps my 30ft lb is not as good as another 30 ftlb

Are you saying a .22 at 30ft lb will go clean through 1.5" (40mm) of pine?

Maybe it's meant as pine coloured cardboard haha

It might get through if you let it rot a few years first. .22 lr with subs however goes through 3" of solid cedar wood then through a 5/8th larch fence panel with a clean calibre hole then digs into the dirt @ 50 yards ( I know this for sure because that's how I tested the backstop arrangement on my range) It is subsequently sandbagged up before the Cedar 2 thick and a solid concrete wall is built behind it.

retained energy, energy v frontal penetrating area, terminal bullet performance etc.,etc. all need weighing up to compare FAC air and .22LR but the airgun will always be found lacking in performance (this is the reason people should sometimes consider using one - its reduced destructive force)

Are you saying a .22 at 30ft lb will go clean through 1.5" (40mm) of pine?[/quote

If it does there's something wrong with my fac 28ft lb superten , because it dosent go through a piece of 40mm pine at 50yrds I know that much :)

mines broken too :-( doh! perhaps my 30ft lb is not as good as another 30 ftlb

Maybe it's meant as pine coloured cardboard haha

Yes thats right I made myself a target holder out of 1.5inch cheap pine off cuts for when I first got my FAC Air, at 50yards testing I pulled a shot with a bisley magnum and was suprised to find a clean entry hole in the front of the batton and a ripped ragged and splintered exit hole at the back. Over the chrono it runs at 30.05Ft/Lb.

I have the chrono results printed with date from Daystate and I will try to find some scrap wood and repeat and photograph the result, I was suprised as i had FAC air down as very wet in perfomance against a .22lr/.17HMR.

ATB

Matt

Yes thats right I made myself a target holder out of 1.5inch cheap pine off cuts for when I first got my FAC Air, at 50yards testing I pulled a shot with a bisley magnum and was suprised to find a clean entry hole in the front of the batton and a ripped ragged and splintered exit hole at the back. Over the chrono it runs at 30.05Ft/Lb.

I have the chrono results printed with date from Daystate and I will try to find some scrap wood and repeat and photograph the result, I was suprised as i had FAC air down as very wet in perfomance against a .22lr/.17HMR.

ATB

Matt

Near an edge or on a fault. It changes from a board to a batten, I suspect I could split my way through a slate / tile batten with 12 ft lb every now and again if I had the wish to try. The forces have nowhere to go but out the ends or busting out the side hence creating a split. 1 1/2" pine board in good condition 50 yds 30ft lb no chance. I use 12mm ply backers on my targets and I don't think just off memory one has found its way through cleanly without other damage at 50 yards

Kent, I never said a board .....read back, I said a peice of pine and that peice of pine was a baton (1.5 inch square), one of 4 I used to make my target holder.

As said when I get chance I will try to repeat and replicate. I do have a few new types of pellet to try in the FAC Air rifle so will knock a new target holder up and when ive finished with it will test it to destruction so to speak and post some photos up. Am happy to admit am wrong if I cant replicate, although I know what I saw 3 years ago and have no reason to claim other wise theres no benifit or loss either way.

ATB

Matt

Nice! Same here. How many shots do you get per fill (realistically good ones). I love my falcon just think it needs a service!

32, running at 26ft lb.

Had it up to about 38ft lb but very erratic and not many shots, so no use, 26ft lb works for me and the rifle!

Nice looking bit of kit there Dekers. Is it as light as it looks. I like my Rapid, and it's got a great shot count. Just a bit heavy and awkward compared with that Falcon I reckon.

Yep, and well balanced, heaviest part is the scope, easy to use and ridiculously accurate seeing as the barrel is as flexible as a Bass Guitar string. Great grip as well (although some don't like it).

Nothing like as well engineered or solid as a Rapid though, works for me just the same! :good:

Yep, and well balanced, heaviest part is the scope, easy to use and ridiculously accurate seeing as the barrel is as flexible as a Bass Guitar string. Great grip as well (although some don't like it).

Nothing like as well engineered or solid as a Rapid though, works for me just the same! :good:

+1 on that! I have a MTC viper scope on mine an like yours, with sunshade for when sunny. As big as the gun haha. I find it a pleasure to walk aroun with and really useable from standing.

I did have issues with the barrel mind! When doing up the filling probe ended up twisting it all around a bit... The grub screw comes loose easily.

Yep, but a lot of it is sunshade. I got it for a song many years ago and it replaced the Simmons that was originally on the gun, seems to work though!

attachicon.gifSquirrel2.edit1.jpg

Wow! How long did that take you? That pics great! I can image that pic would make a lot of americans get a lob on with how much they love their squirrel hunting. Love the casual jeans look with the hat

Wow! How long did that take you? That pics great! I can image that pic would make a lot of americans get a lob on with how much they love their squirrel hunting. Love the casual jeans look with the hat

It's a few years back now, so many have seen this pic, it HAS been published all round the world. :yes::good:

Just one of those things, the site was full of the Greys (as you can tell) anyone could have done it on that site, just so happened it was me! :D

4.5 days work and around 172/174 in total I seem to remember, about 92 in that pic!